• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who here can sing?

Cooky

Veteran Member
I was just curious if anyone could teach me how to sing, because currently, I have the worst singing voice imaginable.

Any tips?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cooky

Veteran Member
I guess the only way to describe my singing would be like when I go from a high note to a low note, there is no gradual change.. It just jumps straight from high to low... immediately.

Are there exercises, or are some people just kind of out-of-luck?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I was just curious if anyone could teach me how to sing, because currently, I have the worst singing voice imaginable.

Any tips?

Everything I know about singing I learned from The Sound of Music

After this, you're on your own kid. :D

dianaiad

I can sing. I can sing pretty darned well for a total and complete amateur. I learned to sing by taking singing lessons from people who knew what they were doing for many years.

I learned to breathe correctly (few people do), how to listen and how to stay on key (a problem for me, that takes constant practice. I do NOT have perfect pitch).

So, from me to you: if you want to learn to sing, go to your local Junior college and enroll in a singing class or a choir class. That's the least expensive route.

Private lessons are also a choice, costs more but are more likely to work.

I have heard of one person who learned how to sing from Youtube. I'm not a bit certain how that would work, since the whole point of singing lessons is that your teacher has to be able to HEAR you, but I guess it worked for her. At least, she sure sounded good on AGT..(or was it BGT? I forget...).

Most of all, sing all the time. In the shower. In the kitchen. In the living room during TV ads. Drive your companions batty.

Those are my tips. Do as you will with them.

But...anybody can learn to sing. I knew a guy who kept going to singing classes in college; he was utterly tone deaf. His singing was quite painful to hear. But he persevered, and LEARNED relative pitch. Sort of. He graduated with an A because at the end of his third semester, he sang 'Happy Birthday" on key. We all celebrated.

If he could, you can.

Cooky

Veteran Member
I can sing. I can sing pretty darned well for a total and complete amateur. I learned to sing by taking singing lessons from people who knew what they were doing for many years.

I learned to breathe correctly (few people do), how to listen and how to stay on key (a problem for me, that takes constant practice. I do NOT have perfect pitch).

So, from me to you: if you want to learn to sing, go to your local Junior college and enroll in a singing class or a choir class. That's the least expensive route.

Private lessons are also a choice, costs more but are more likely to work.

I have heard of one person who learned how to sing from Youtube. I'm not a bit certain how that would work, since the whole point of singing lessons is that your teacher has to be able to HEAR you, but I guess it worked for her. At least, she sure sounded good on AGT..(or was it BGT? I forget...).

Most of all, sing all the time. In the shower. In the kitchen. In the living room during TV ads. Drive your companions batty.

Those are my tips. Do as you will with them.

But...anybody can learn to sing. I knew a guy who kept going to singing classes in college; he was utterly tone deaf. His singing was quite painful to hear. But he persevered, and LEARNED relative pitch. Sort of. He graduated with an A because at the end of his third semester, he sang 'Happy Birthday" on key. We all celebrated.

If he could, you can.

Thanks. I do tend to dance a lot in the kitchen when I play music on my home stereo system. That actually started on New Years last year, with my young daughters, who loved it... Now I dance all the time. My dog even enjoys watching.

But to sing..! That would be something!

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member

Any tips?
I can sing.

This is me doing Led Zeppelin's the Immigrant Song.

Ah-ah, ah!
Ah-ah, ah!
We come from the land of the ice and snow
From the midnight sun, where the hot springs flow
The hammer of the gods
W'ell drive our ships to new lands
To fight the horde, and sing and cry
Valhalla, I am coming!
On we sweep with threshing oar
Our only goal will be the western shore
Ah-ah, ah!
Ah-ah, ah!
We come from the land of the ice and snow
From the midnight sun where the hot springs flow
How soft your fields so green
Can whisper tales of gore
Of how we calmed the tides of war
We are your overlords
On we sweep with threshing oar
Our only goal will be the western shore
So now you'd better stop and rebuild all your ruins
For peace and trust can win the day despite of all your losing
Ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh

After all these years, I still got it.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

Any tips?
When I went to Sai Baba (India) I could not sing. And I hated singing and I hated music (emotional trauma). And Sanskrit was another big problem. And singing is a big part of the rituals (4h per day) in the Ashram.

First time I was there only 8 days. And I saw Sai Baba pick people from the audience to sing (in front of 20.000 people). I never prayed before, but then I prayed He would not call me. Not convinced of prayer to work, I stayed far in the back, just to be safe (He normally picked from the front).

So when I planned to go for 4,5 month, I thought, I better come well prepared this time (sitting there for 4h daily hating music seemed a bad plan to me). Step 1 was to start liking music, liking singing and liking Sanskrit.

I got some tapes with 200 songs, and got the lyrics (Sanskrit with transliteration). I had a walkman with mic and ear plugs, so I could hear the difference between my voice and the voice on the tape. Without this trick I could not even hear the difference.

I just started repeating over and over, like teaching my parrot. Luckily I progressed much better than my parrot. I practiced for 3 month, 2 hours at 4h in the morning and 2 before sleeping. After 3 month I could sing 200 Sanskrit bhajans without use of paper or tape (even in my sleep I was singing).

And I liked Bhajans the best, the more Sanskrit the better:D

Glad I did this immense practice, so when Sai Baba got me up to sing in front of 20.000 people, at least I got the tune and the words quite correct:)

Later I read Hindu Scripture Yoga Vasistha stressing the importance of Self Effort (to achieve progress).

Mind over matter really worked for me, I experienced. I transformed "music hate into music love" but I prefer silence more.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member

Any tips?
I sing in a couple of amateur choirs. When you say you can't sing, do you mean you have a poor ear for perceiving pitch, or is it problems producing the sound? For instance, can you tell if something is out of tune, e.g. a badly tuned piano or guitar?

If you can perceive pitch OK then you can learn to sing.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I used to (before marriage). Lost it within a week of marriage. Don't know why. Singing is an in-born (you can say) gift. If you don't have it, you can't really sing. My son is a singer. He has performed in many countries. Though I would not call him a great singer. No problem if someone cannot sing. They can listen and enjoy. Indian kids are very good at it. See here:

Nishtha Sharma (10), Winner of Voice India 2019.
Sugahda Date (13), Winner of Saregamapa Little Champs 2019.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
I used to (before marriage). Lost it within a week of marriage. Don't know why. singing is an in-born (you can say) gift. If you don't have it, you can't really sing.
I strongly disagree with this. At London's Morley College, they have for many years run a highly successful choir, called the "Can't Sing Choir". This is intended for people who think they can't sing but want to try. More here: Can the tone deaf learn to sing?

Singing encompasses a great deal more than singing solos in front of a vast audience, like a pop star. The singing I do is almost all in ensembles, where the important things are to first sing in time, then in tune, then to follow the musical line accurately and then the quality of the sound and last the quantity of sound.

My contention is that anyone who has an ear for pitch , i.e. is not totally tone-deaf, can learn to sing, at least well enough to join in communal singing such as hymns and folk songs. Once they have learned how to either read music a bit, or to learn by heart a musical line, they can start part-singing, i.e. in harmony rather than unison. A great deal is listening to yourself and willingness to practice at home. This requires confidence, as you have to be willing to listen to the sound of your own voice - and risk other people in the house maybe hearing it - and not think it silly. But the ear is crucial.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Any tips?
I'm god-awful if I don't practice.

Considering the standard for music these days, I don't think you're going to have a problem anyways. ;O]

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Any tips?

After the last few years of performing, attending open mics, and hosting an open mic I have come to the conclusion that a lot of people want to sing but they simply don't understand the actual mechanics of singing. Wanting to sing is the first step, and YouTube is an treasure trove of valuable information concerning the 'nuts and bolts' of singing. Don't put to much pressure on yourself to be the next Sinatra; baby steps is the best plan. Years ago I started singing with radio while driving (car karaoke, I call it). I didn't try to sing the melody (you'll probably never be able to sound like the polished commercial product) but I concentrated on singing harmony with the song. This allowed me to explore my tonal range, breathing, pitch, etc. The main thing is to have fun with what you're singing, no matter what the results. Trust me, we constantly run across individuals that totally enjoy the microphone even though they know that they will never be asked to sing on purpose, lol.

Good luck...and keep on rocking.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
To sing in a choir or Karaoke is different from solo singing or attempting Indian Ragas. And some children are (as I said) are specially gifted.
Unfortunately, I have lost my hearing (I am 77 and hearing aids do not help that much). I miss music.