• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who do you think will prove or disprove gods?

Who will prove or disprove a deity?

• Scientist

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Philospher

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Theologian

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 12 75.0%

• Total voters

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
You can't disprove anything, (you just have to make the assumption that it's not true and hope for the best if you don't know something). It's similar to Santa Claus nobody can disprove his existence but we can almost guarantee he doesn't exist. (Same with the Easter bunny, Cupid, and even Jack Frost).

Precisely.

Do to lack of evidence it is not logical to believe they are real and the same holds true for a god.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
Our Creator purposely mislead all his characters because they thought they were real people until He finished revealing to us saints that we're only information being processed into illusions. So He didn't directly mislead anyone. He had to create the first part of His program to appear as real as He could to give us some kind of clue how good the simulation will be in the next part of the program.

If he had to do that.

That would imply he is not all knowing and therefore not all powerful.

Therefore your religion has contradicted itself causing the probability of it being true to drop to 0%.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
Subjective ideas are different by themselves, it's mostly used in politics than religion. (Increase vs decrease taxes, how to handle diplomatic relations, how we should spend money). Each individual would have subjective proof. (If you watch Fox news you'd believe their ideology is right or if you watch TYT you'll think their subjective proof is right). You have every right to believe in unicorns if you want to.

What you are speaking of is opinions not proof.

SSDSSDSSD3

The Great Sea Under!
Precisely.

Do to lack of evidence it is not logical to believe they are real and the same holds true for a god.
God has a unique situation, because many people who are logical use many different ideas arguing for God or no God, (the others are just ignored). People put their time into proving his existence or non-existence something not true for the folk and mythological creatures I had just mentioned.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
God has a unique situation, because many people who are logical use many different ideas arguing for God or no God, (the others are just ignored). People put their time into proving his existence or non-existence something not true for the folk and mythological creatures I had just mentioned.

Mostly because when people grow up society makes them put away some childish things but apparently not all of them.

Also no one has to "disprove" a deity's existence if there is no evidence then there is no reason to believe it exist.

Many people spend time debunking false claims of evidence to a deity's existence but this is often done because many people truly despise propagations of pusdeo-science.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Ok does irrefutable evidence work?

*sigh* No, it really doesn't.

Thus, this topic, as so many others similar to it it, boils down to "I reject your evidence as legitimate... BECUZ." Guess I was hoping for something more than that. Oh well.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
*sigh* No, it really doesn't.

Thus, this topic, as so many others similar to it it, boils down to "I reject your evidence as legitimate... BECUZ." Guess I was hoping for something more than that. Oh well.

Can you tell me what you think evidence is so I can understand what you are asking?

SSDSSDSSD3

The Great Sea Under!
Mostly because when people grow up society makes them put away some childish things but apparently not all of them.

Also no one has to "disprove" a deity's existence if there is no evidence then there is no reason to believe it exist.

Many people spend time debunking false claims of evidence to a deity's existence but this is often done because many people truly despise propagations of pusdeo-science.
Religion has a unique importance to people. Also if science was such a thing to disprove God, then why do Scientologists believe in a God?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Can you tell me what you think evidence is so I can understand what you are asking?

I mentioned several types of evidence before (it's not so much important what I personally think evidence is as much as understanding more broadly what many different types of people would consider evidence). Some consider literary evidence - quotations from a relevant source - to be evidence. In the context of discussions on religion, that sometimes means quotations from sacred texts. Others put great weight to direct experience and observation, or the notion that seeing is believing, personal gnosis, measure it with a yardstick, that sort of thing. Others still accept such direct experiences told to them by others they trust, which we could call anecdotal evidence or witness testimony. There's also things like philosophical proofs, where arguments logically follow given certain premises. Then there's stuff like peer reviewed literature, which in some respects is like literary evidence in that it's relying on some source deemed relevant or authoritative. That can include scientific literature, but also extend beyond it. I'm probably missing something. Not sure I can come up with an exhaustive list.

Basically, what people accept and reject as "evidence" isn't necessarily straightforward. It's why I ask, and it's why discussions like this sometimes get convoluted fairly quickly. :sweat:

SSDSSDSSD3

The Great Sea Under!
I can actually.

But history is based on plausibility more so then proof.

But we have plenty of evidence that proves many historical aspects with certainty.
Some people deny history, (many people believe the Holocaust never happened). Basically, it's very hard to convince anyone of anything.

outhouse

Atheistically
Some people deny history, (many people believe the Holocaust never happened). Basically, it's very hard to convince anyone of anything.

That is correct.

I think it is safe to assume mots people do deny history to some extent no matter how solid the evidence is

Kelly of the Phoenix

I like to imagine some long-lived entity called El or Yahweh or whatever (Stargate-style, maybe), coming down and going: okay, kids ... I was just yanking your chain. I'm Xorax from Nubluar and I was young at the time and kind of a jerk, so I just kinda went to various worlds and convinced them to worship me. :p

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
If my memory serves me, I recall a Upanishad I read 35 or so years ago that went something like this:

Do the gods exist?

You don't know.

I don't know.

Our guru doesn't know.

Even the gods don't know.

Thats an interesting alternative, actually. It makes some sense. Practical application in terms of our knowledge remains unchanged though, I think.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I voted Other.

Each individual will find the proofs to support their personal opinions and beliefs.

True, but some hold up to even cursory examination better than others. Breatharians are an example of what I mean, I guess.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Who do you think will prove or disprove the existence of a deity(ies) and why?

In light of the age of the known universe and the apperance of humans to the present, I'm guessing what has transpired already is sufficient enough to answer that question.

Its not like there will be significant changes on the horizon anytime soon considering there he's been nothing else going on since that will determine if there is any deity.

Eventually, we will be long dead like our predecessors for those trying to answer the same ole thing.