• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who do you believe Jesus was/is?

• Total voters

a. Jesus never existed.
b. He may have existed, but the details of his life have been distorted/overblown by Christianity.
c. He was a prophet or messenger of God, but was not equal to God.
d. Jesus is God. (i.e. the Trinity)

Scott1

At the time appointed by God, the only Son of the Father, the eternal Word, that is, the Word and substantial Image of the Father, became incarnate; without losing his divine nature he has assumed human nature.

Jesus Christ is true God and true man, in the unity of his divine person; for this reason he is the one and only mediator between God and men.

Jesus Christ possesses two natures, one divine and the other human, not confused, but united in the one person of God's Son.

Christ, being true God and true man, has a human intellect and will, perfectly attuned and subject to his divine intellect and divine will, which he has in common with the Father and the Holy Spirit.

SunMessenger

Catholic
Scott1 said:
At the time appointed by God, the only Son of the Father, the eternal Word, that is, the Word and substantial Image of the Father, became incarnate; without losing his divine nature he has assumed human nature.

Jesus Christ is true God and true man, in the unity of his divine person; for this reason he is the one and only mediator between God and men.

Jesus Christ possesses two natures, one divine and the other human, not confused, but united in the one person of God's Son.

Christ, being true God and true man, has a human intellect and will, perfectly attuned and subject to his divine intellect and divine will, which he has in common with the Father and the Holy Spirit.

AMEN... AMEN... AMEN ... WELL SAID !!!

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Well, that's the first time I've ever voted "for" the Trinity, in my life, but the option describing my belief wasn't listed. I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and Himself God. But I don't believe that He and His Father are simply different manifestations of the same being.

Scott1

Katzpur said:
But I don't believe that He and His Father are simply different manifestations of the same being.
She leaves for a bit and forgets everything we talked about.... :(

That the Father and Son are "different manifestations of the same being" is not part of the doctrine of the Trinity.... FYI.

:D
S

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Scott1 said:
She leaves for a bit and forgets everything we talked about.... :(

That the Father and Son are "different manifestations of the same being" is not part of the doctrine of the Trinity.... FYI.

:D
S
I know it's not how you understand the doctrine of the Trinity, Scott, and I'm glad to be reminded of that. However, I have seen trinitarians on this very forum explain it in exactly that way. How is a non-trinitarian like me to know who to believe?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Katzpur said:
I know it's not how you understand the doctrine of the Trinity, Scott, and I'm glad to be reminded of that. However, I have seen trinitarians on this very forum explain it in exactly that way. How is a non-trinitarian like me to know who to believe?

Good grief.

I think I've used that verbiage before.:eek:

And just so you know...I view the Trinity as Scott has explained. I think I lack the eloquency to convey my views as well as he has.

Just thought I'd post that...in hopes of clarifying. I just haven't done as well explaining it. :sad:

robtex

Veteran Member
Jesus is a metaphor by Christians on what one ought to do that is similar to the concept of dharma in hindusism but personfied into an all-powerful (yet killable) mytholocial being.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
robtex said:
Jesus is a metaphor by Christians on what one ought to do that is similar to the concept of dharma in hindusism but personfied into an all-powerful (yet killable) mytholocial being.

No, Jesus is so much more.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Katzpur said:

All that I know FOR CERTAIN is....There is God the Father, Jesus (The Son) is God and the Holy Spirit is God.

How they look is immaterial to me. It's a moot point really as we don't know for sure WHAT they/it/he looks like...what we need to make sure of however is that we see each as GOD. :)

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
Why is that one of the choices was not to say: A false prophet. ???? Just curious, or are we to forget the Mandeans who still exist to this day?

Booko

Deviled Hen
FerventGodSeeker said:
Why do you reject the Christian notion that Jesus is God? I won't debate this with you if you don't want, I'm just curious.

FerventGodSeeker

You asked this of evareal, but I haven't posted in this thread yet, and I also stop short of believing that Jesus is God.

He was the closest thing the God on Earth at the time, and has every right to speak as if He were actually God.

Well, it's a start on explaining, anyway. :)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
dawny0826 said:
Good grief.

I think I've used that verbiage before.:eek:

And just so you know...I view the Trinity as Scott has explained. I think I lack the eloquency to convey my views as well as he has.

Just thought I'd post that...in hopes of clarifying. I just haven't done as well explaining it. :sad:
;) Okay, I guess we're clear then. Scott's understanding of the Trinity is not tremendously different from my understanding of the Godhead. Of course, it's not identical either. :D

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Buttercup said:
All that I know FOR CERTAIN is....There is God the Father, Jesus (The Son) is God and the Holy Spirit is God.
I can buy that. :)

How they look is immaterial to me. It's a moot point really as we don't know for sure WHAT they/it/he looks like...what we need to make sure of however is that we see each as GOD. :)
Buttercup, dahling... I didn't say anything about what God looks like. And even though I'm sure we would disagree as to what God does look like, I agree that we need to make sure "that we see each as GOD." And I do. That's why I voted for the Trinity.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Katzpur said:
Buttercup, dahling... I didn't say anything about what God looks like. And even though I'm sure we would disagree as to what God does look like, I agree that we need to make sure "that we see each as GOD." And I do. That's why I voted for the Trinity.

That particular sentence was an opinion of mine and didn't reflect on what you said....just a thought on the 'trinity' in general from my perspective. ;)

Comet said:
Why is that one of the choices was not to say: A false prophet. ???? Just curious, or are we to forget the Mandeans who still exist to this day?
Sorry, I didn't put that option because I didn't think that many people believed that. I certainly have not heard that view on these forums. Are you a Mandean? Do you believe Jesus was a false prophet? If so, why?

FerventGodSeeker