• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

who created "cancer"?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
so its a unfortunate accident rather than a virus or disease....i understand know thanks..
so what about viruses and disease?
there things arnt they?
The genome -- the program that builds and maintains an organism -- is long and complex. It's constantly being mechanically copied so errors occur all the time.
Parts of the code tell cells when to grow, when to stop growing, when to die, when to reproduce, when to stop reproducing, &c.

If a copy error occurs in a line of code that tells a cell to stop reproducing, that cell becomes a cancer -- a perpetually reproducing cell.

A Virus is a line of genetic code in a little protective capsule, which is jettisoned when the code enters a cell. Essentially, that line of code is the instruction: Copy Me! Repeat.

Code is code. The cell's 'printer' doesn't know the code is foreign. It just goes about merrily printing endless copies of the Copy Me program till the cell just falls apart and all the copies float off to infect other cells.

A Disease isn't a specific thing. It can be a mechanical problem, a chemical problem, a programming problem or, frequently, a problem caused by actual living things that have invaded the body.

Last edited by a moderator:

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Cancer is just a by-product of how our bodies grow and repair themselves. In a way multi-cellular organisms are just a controlled form of cancer, all our cells are designed to replicate themselves ad infinitum. It's only through chemical mechanisms that this growth is kept in check, when a certain gene mutates cells don't know when to stop dividing, which is the simplest (usually non-malignant) form of cancer. Often cells pick up multiple mutations which cause them to do other things though, like metastasize.

Viruses, like prion proteins, are parts of cells that have somehow separated themselves and taken on a very different role, one of a parasitic replication machine.

"Germs", as in bacteria, are just other organisms that happen to find our bodies suitable environments to live in. Some bacteria cause us damage by living within us, some benefit us. And in one special case adapted to live inside our very cells, to such a degree they're now thought of as organelles rather than separate organisms in their own right (mitochondria).

As for who created them, we did, just by being alive.

My younger brother passed 10/05/14 of a rare strain of throat cancer mostly found in men. In my brother's case it was his years of self medicating his mental/social/environmental issues that allowed the cancer to come alive. He smoked, drank and ate too much unhealthy food. His sleep was not adequate for his lifestyle, he was a drummer in Southern Florida for 30 years. I am not concerned with the creation, rather the prevention.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Halcyon
Viruses, like prion proteins, are parts of cells that have somehow separated themselves and taken on a very different role, one of a parasitic replication machine.
Very different things, though. Viruses are snippets of DNA/RNA, coding for self-replication, that hijack a cell's replication machinery.
"Parts of cells" might be a bit misleading. Could be either mutated endogenous DNA or introduced, foreign DNA/RNA (viruses).

Prions are misfolded proteins that act as templates, causing adjacent proteins to refold into their dysfunctional patterns, like the sodium acetate molecules in hand warmers:
(skip to 1:45).
No nucleic acid involved

Last edited by a moderator:

mainliner

no one can de-borg my fact's ...NO-ONE!!
Very different things, though. Viruses are snippets of DNA/RNA, coding for self-replication, that hijack a cell's replication machinery.
"Parts of cells" might be a bit misleading. Could be either mutated endogenous DNA or intriduced, foreign DNA/RNA (viruses).

Prions are misfolded proteins that act as templates, causing adjacent proteins to refold into their dysfunctional patterns, like the sodium acetate molecules in hand warmers:
(skip to 1:45).
No nucleic acid involved
cool

psychoslice

Veteran Member
people who dont smoke get cancer
But smokers get cancer at a higher rate, its a known fact, When cells die its called apoptosis, cells suppose to die, when they don't they can cause cancer, there are about 80 billion cells in our body, so of course there is a chance of something going wrong, its nothing to do with god or the devil or any superstitious beliefs.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
fred?
fred basset?

drinking sugar and air polution doesn't cause cancer.....cancers in our genes.

its got nothing to do with unhealthy living.

healthy people get cancer too. :)
So are you saying that no one has ever had cancer because of smoking, or any other harmful habits ?.