• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who are you, really? Your friends on RF want to know.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Family

What is your greatest fear?
Mike (i am not explaining that)

What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
The difficulty i have in explaining things. I surely could not make a school teacher.

What is the trait you most deplore in others?
Lying

Which living person do you most admire?
A friend named Paul, a thoracic surgeon who attends serious car accidents on the motorway near the hospital he works

What is your greatest extravagance?
Laboutins

What is your current state of mind?
A little edgy, i have just spent time chatting to my brother in law who is schizophrenic and refusing help.

What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
Righteousness

On what occasion do you lie?
None

What do you most dislike about your appearance?
To tall

Which living person do you most despise?
Trump

What is the quality you most like in a man?
Honesty

What is the quality you most like in a woman?
Honesty

Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
Eh?

What or who is the greatest love of your life?
Paul (hubby Paul, not the Paul mentioned above but its close)

When and where were you happiest?
Public forum so I take the 5th

Which talent would you most like to have?
I'm happy with what i've got

If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
I'd get rid of my dyslexia.

What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Teaching myself to read and write

If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be?
A Bugatti Chiron Super Sport 300+ hitting its limit on the Nurburgring

Where would you most like to live?
Exactly where i do live, south west France

What is your most treasured possession?
A roman clay oil lamp embossed with the image of Diana and with the makers thumb print on the handle.

What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
My time with Mike, see q2

What is your favorite occupation?
I like to cook for the family, i like to walk the local forest or alongside the river. I like to drive fast around racing circuits, i like to crawl about in dark caves looking for early modern human artifacts. So many, choose one.

What is your most marked characteristic?
My height

What do you most value in your friends?
Honesty

Who are your favorite writers?
Terry Pratchett. Iain M Banks, Douglas Adams.

Who is your hero of fiction?
Tyr Anasazi (Keith Hamilton Cobb) beautiful man;-). There is a very good and personal reason for that.

Which historical figure do you most identify with?
Ohh, my avatar or perhaps Titus Flavius Vespasianus.

Who are your heroes in real life?
No names, a great uncle, ww2 fighter pilot, shot down, joined french resistance and helped pave the way for the day landings.

What are your favorite names?
Samantha, Adika and Bethen (my children, each name has a special significance)

What is it that you most dislike?
Lies and deliberate ignorance

What is your greatest regret?
Getting involved with Mike (question 2)

How would you like to die?
Quickly some considerable time after my children have fledged the nest.

What is your motto?
Aut pax aut bellum

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
@Rival, @VoidCat, @SalixIncendium, @Exaltist Ethan, @ideogenous_mover, @The Kilted Heathen, @Shadow Wolf , @JustGeorge , @Ella S. , @Mock Turtle , @TagliatelliMonster , @Aštra’el , @Soandso , @ChristineM

To those of you who went to the time and trouble to answer (and to those who do so in future), I'm really curious -- did you find this made you sit back and think a little more seriously about who you really are? It certainly did for me. Of course, I understand that if were to answer all those questions again in a week (without looking back at what I wrote this time), some of my answers might well be different -- but that's just a function of the fact that my state of mind changes from hour to hour.

Did you enjoy the experience, hate it, resent it, or what? For myself, I found it interesting enough that I can say I enjoyed it.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
Did you enjoy the experience, hate it, resent it, or what? For myself, I found it interesting enough that I can say I enjoyed it.

Some of the questions took me five seconds to answer, others took five minutes of deep thinking and soul searching to come up with the best possible answer. Some questions I think on a daily basis, like, "how are you feeling right now" question took a few seconds to answer to, as I am always self-checking myself, but others, like, "what historical person are you most like" I had to come up with an answer out of my butt. It made me think a lot deeper at times than I had to and I ended up skipping a few questions and coming back to them later when my mind was revved up from the other questions.

I enjoyed it ... but I think I spent like an hour and a half on it, making sure each answer was just right for each question. And yes, if I replied at a different time half of my answers would be different, especially the ones I really thought hard on. I almost felt like I was being personally interviewed with someone who didn't really know me too well, given the fact that half of the questions were about topics I don't think about often. I did enjoy it though and I would take something like this again, as long as any answer is accepted. I don't mind people getting to know me, my thoughts, and who I am - both positive and negative, as long as I can frame myself from my own point of view.

Ella S.

Dispassionate Goth
@Rival, @VoidCat, @SalixIncendium, @Exaltist Ethan, @ideogenous_mover, @The Kilted Heathen, @Shadow Wolf , @JustGeorge , @Ella S. , @Mock Turtle , @TagliatelliMonster , @Aštra’el , @Soandso , @ChristineM

To those of you who went to the time and trouble to answer (and to those who do so in future), I'm really curious -- did you find this made you sit back and think a little more seriously about who you really are? It certainly did for me. Of course, I understand that if were to answer all those questions again in a week (without looking back at what I wrote this time), some of my answers might well be different -- but that's just a function of the fact that my state of mind changes from hour to hour.

Questions No. 2, 12 & 13, 26, and 35 all made me really think. For reference:

What is your greatest fear? Disappointing myself
What is the quality you most like in a man? Generosity
What is the quality you most like in a woman? Generosity
What do you most value in your friends? Nonconformity
What is your motto? Success isn't about never falling, but about always getting back up

I don't think I ever put into words that my greatest fear is disappointing myself before. For the longest time, I didn't really know what my greatest fear was, and any time I was forced to give an answer I would try to guess by rationally evaluating what the greatest risk was to me at that time. But that's not fear. There's no emotional response there. That's rational caution.

Disappointing myself really is my greatest fear. It's a productive fear that drives me to try to improve myself, but it's also a destructive fear that shows up every time I fail. I don't think I realized how essential this fear has been to my experience of this world, probably my whole life, until now. I think I would have had a similar epiphany soon without this post, but this post was a catalyst so I appreciate the prompt. I've been getting into ACT lately (which is probably why I can finally answer this question), so understanding this key value helps me with recontextualization.

I also don't really evaluate other people very often. I kind of view most people with detached indifference. Those questions made me think in a way that I'm not used to, which is always refreshing, although I'm not sure what the long-term utility of that could be.

I seriously considered not posting my reply and only filling it out for myself because I don't like sharing details about myself, but I'm also trying to get better about being comfortable with sharing details about myself to challenge my unhealthy schizoidal tendencies.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
What is your idea of perfect happiness?

Unwavering contentment.

What is your greatest fear?

Experiencing any major difficulty I couldn't overcome, especially concerning my or a loved one's health.

What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?

Procrastination.

What is the trait you most deplore in others?

Hatefulness, lack of empathy, dishonesty, and impulsivity. I couldn't choose just one out of these.

Which living person do you most admire?

None in particular. I admire different people for different reasons.

What is your greatest extravagance?

My gaming PC and its peripherals.

What is your current state of mind?

Resolute.

What do you consider the most overrated virtue?

"Loving" one's enemy. It can be pernicious advice.

On what occasion do you lie?

When the harm a lie could avert outweighs the value of telling the truth. An example would be lying about liking a gift to avoid hurting a well-meaning person who bought it.

What do you most dislike about your appearance?

Dark circles under my eyes from years of disrupted sleep.

Which living person do you most despise?

None. I despise certain traits, and many people exhibit them. Since I don't believe in free will, despising someone so strongly for their traits seems to me akin to despising a black mamba for being venomous. It achieves nothing and holds no value.

What is the quality you most like in a man?

Empathy, a good sense of humor, and composure.

What is the quality you most like in a woman?

Empathy, a good sense of humor, and composure.

Which words or phrases do you most overuse?

"Cringe."

What or who is the greatest love of your life?

My family and my best friend.

When and where were you happiest?

When I was 6-9 years old. I was too young to have any real concept of responsibility or long-term burdens.

Which talent would you most like to have?

Seamlessly and flawlessly playing the piano. I haven't taken lessons yet, so perhaps I unknowingly have that talent!

If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?

I would remove my nerve injuries.

What do you consider your greatest achievement?

Surviving. Surviving. Surviving.

If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be?

A person.

Where would you most like to live?

Australia, but perhaps I would change my mind if I actually lived there.

What is your most treasured possession?

My knowledge of the English language. My life would be drastically different without that.

What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?

Inability to adapt or maintain resilience against hardship.

What is your favorite occupation?

I haven't tried any except one, but I would love to do mathematical research in data science at some point.

What is your most marked characteristic?

Calmness and composure. The former is literally the only one that every single person who has known me has commented on in one way or another.

What do you most value in your friends?

Empathy, a good sense of humor, level-headedness, directness, and commitment. I take friendship very seriously, and I don't wish to invest time or effort into one where the other person doesn't reciprocate.

Who are your favorite writers?

Karl Marx and George Orwell.

Who is your hero of fiction?

Captain Jean-Luc Picard.

Which historical figure do you most identify with?

None. I identify with different aspects of different figures.

Who are your heroes in real life?

None. I believe in learning from everyone's best and not adopting their worst. Someone could teach me a heroic lesson in one area but be immensely flawed in another.

What are your favorite names?

Dante, Nariman, Nourhan, Selena, Sulaiman, and Svetlana.

What is it that you most dislike?

Injustice.

What is your greatest regret?

None. I used to have significant regret about my late graduation, but I have since learned to accept the past and learn from rather than lament it.

How would you like to die?

As painlessly as possible not just for me but for my family and friends.

What is your motto?

Two:

1) "Live and let live."

2) The quote in my signature from Gautama Buddha.

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

I didn't have too much trouble answering, though a couple things stumped me, not on what my answer was, but why I answered that way. For example, my preferred qualities in men and women are different. Why? That I'm not sure of.

I also found it interesting when others had a similar answer to something.

The only one I really couldn't answer was the historical figure one. The 'overrated virtue' took a lot of thought.

It was a fun experience. It reminded me of being young and the internet first being put in our home. AOL was the main server, and us kids got so many of these types of questionnaires from other kids in our emails. Kinda took me back.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The Proust Questionnaire has its origins in a parlor game popularized (though not devised) by Marcel Proust, the French essayist and novelist, who believed that, in answering these questions, an individual reveals his or her true nature. Here is the basic Proust Questionnaire (taken from Vanity Fair in December, 2011).

Note, I am working on my answers -- I want to be careful, so it will take a bit of time. Anybody who cares to knock of their own responses and beat me to it should feel welcome to do so.

Also note, this is not a debate. Nobody has any right to dispute anyone else's answers.
  1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
  2. What is your greatest fear?
  3. What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
  4. What is the trait you most deplore in others?
  5. Which living person do you most admire?
  6. What is your greatest extravagance?
  7. What is your current state of mind?
  8. What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
  9. On what occasion do you lie?
  10. What do you most dislike about your appearance?
  11. Which living person do you most despise?
  12. What is the quality you most like in a man?
  13. What is the quality you most like in a woman?
  14. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
  15. What or who is the greatest love of your life?
  16. When and where were you happiest?
  17. Which talent would you most like to have?
  18. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
  19. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
  20. If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be?
  21. Where would you most like to live?
  22. What is your most treasured possession?
  23. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
  24. What is your favorite occupation?
  25. What is your most marked characteristic?
  26. What do you most value in your friends?
  27. Who are your favorite writers?
  28. Who is your hero of fiction?
  29. Which historical figure do you most identify with?
  30. Who are your heroes in real life?
  31. What are your favorite names?
  32. What is it that you most dislike?
  33. What is your greatest regret?
  34. How would you like to die?
  35. What is your motto?
Mine yer own ******* bizness!

Now you know who I am.

dannerz

Eternal progression.
  1. What is your greatest fear?
Fear of my own weakness.
  1. What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
my mental illness.
  1. What is the trait you most deplore in others?
unreason.
  1. Which living person do you most admire?
my family. mom and dad. I admire them the most but they have their issues too.
  1. What is your greatest extravagance?
music.
  1. What is your current state of mind?
Normal, stable thoughts.
  1. What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
Tolerance.
  1. On what occasion do you lie?
I never lie.
  1. What do you most dislike about your appearance?
Not enough muscle.
  1. Which living person do you most despise?
I most despise Justin. He was such a jerk and an idiot. I was young when i encountered him. He is no longer in my life though.
  1. What is the quality you most like in a man?
Kindness.
  1. What is the quality you most like in a woman?
Kindness.
  1. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
None.
  1. What or who is the greatest love of your life?
Revamp, or Paul, AKA honeyfluff.
  1. When and where were you happiest?
When i was in my teen years, i was most happy and most inspired.
  1. Which talent would you most like to have?
Philosophical prowess.
  1. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
Cure my mental illness.
  1. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
The music i used to make was pretty good.
  1. If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be?
I'd be a male dolphin.
  1. Where would you most like to live?
Canada.
  1. What is your most treasured possession?
My laptop.
  1. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
Inability to grow and evolve.
  1. What is your favorite occupation?
Media design.
  1. What is your most marked characteristic?
  2. What do you most value in your friends?
Wisdom and constructive positivity.
  1. Who are your favorite writers?
  2. Who is your hero of fiction?
Spock.
  1. Which historical figure do you most identify with?
  2. Who are your heroes in real life?
  3. What are your favorite names?
  4. What is it that you most dislike?
I most dislike weakness and disease.
  1. What is your greatest regret?
I wish I knew better in the past.
  1. How would you like to die?
I'd like to die from an infection.
  1. What is your motto?
Right reason.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

The trouble is, so many of the questions could be answered differently depending upon how one was feeling at the time and as to which direction they might send one. Not really any simple answers I suspect for most too for so many of them.

Jedster

1. What is your idea of perfect happiness? Maintaining equanimity
  2. What is your greatest fear? Losing a child.
  3. What is the trait you most deplore in yourself? Losing equanimity
  4. What is the trait you most deplore in others? People who spin yarns as truth
  6. What is your greatest extravagance? Crisps, chocolate *dark)
  7. What is your current state of mind? equanimous
  8. What do you consider the most overrated virtue? Assertiveness
  10. What do you most dislike about your appearance? I miss having shoulder length hair. Bald is I.
  12. What is the quality you most like in a man? Honesty
  13. What is the quality you most like in a woman? Honesty
  15. What or who is the greatest love of your life? Not telling.:cool:
  16. When and where were you happiest? Too many times to detail.
  17. Which talent would you most like to have? Playing the flute
  18. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be? That I lose my tinnitus and Hyperacusis . This would greatly improve the quality of life.
  19. What do you consider your greatest achievement? Surviving.
  20. If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be? A falcon.
  21. Where would you most like to live? Wherever I am.
  22. What is your most treasured possession? Hearing aids.
  23. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? Suicide.
  28. Who is your hero of fiction? Clark Kent.
  33. What is your greatest regret? That I didn't study harder at university.
  34. How would you like to die? equanimous
  35. What is your motto? Never put off until tomorrow what you do today.(unless, of course you can't be arsed. )

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member

Having personal autonomy as well as respecting others' personal autonomy.

Becoming immortalized whether through means of an afterlife that is spiritual (theist view) or physical (atheist view, recycling atoms), or through means of memories of me.

1. What is your greatest fear?

Being all alone.

1. What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?

Occasionally being a bit foggy in my thinking.

1. What is the trait you most deplore in others?

Closed-mindedness.

1. Which living person do you most admire?

Shigeru Miyamoto, I guess.

1. What is your greatest extravagance?

Owning technology.

1. What is your current state of mind?

Entertaining ideas about Existentialism. Being a dreamer.

1. What do you consider the most overrated virtue?

Consistency in beliefs.

1. On what occasion do you lie?

To protect another.

1. What do you most dislike about your appearance?

I want to lose a bit more weight.

1. What is the quality you most like in a man?

Emotional intelligence

1. What is the quality you most like in a woman?

Emotional intelligence. Beauty.

1. When and where were you happiest?

These days, I might be the happiest. In general.

1. Which talent would you most like to have?

Being a better artist.

1. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?

Be more kind.

1. If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be?

Another human.

1. Where would you most like to live?

Tokyo, Japan.

1. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?

The human mind in a sad state (like after a loved one passed away.)

1. What is your favorite occupation?

Anything with some form of mentorship.

1. What is your most marked characteristic?

Creativity

1. What do you most value in your friends?

Compassion

1. Who are your favorite writers?

H. G. Wells

1. Who is your hero of fiction?

Frodo or Sam

1. Who are your heroes in real life?

Avril Lavigne. Shigeru Miyamoto. Bernie Sanders.

1. What are your favorite names?

A lot of different names which start with "K", to be honest.

1. What is it that you most dislike?

Prejudice.

1. What is your greatest regret?

Not being there for more people.

1. How would you like to die?

Living life to the fullest.

1. What is your motto?

One that already exists which is: 'Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me'.

Last edited:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The Proust Questionnaire has its origins in a parlor game popularized (though not devised) by Marcel Proust, the French essayist and novelist, who believed that, in answering these questions, an individual reveals his or her true nature. Here is the basic Proust Questionnaire (taken from Vanity Fair in December, 2011).

Note, I am working on my answers -- I want to be careful, so it will take a bit of time. Anybody who cares to knock of their own responses and beat me to it should feel welcome to do so.

Also note, this is not a debate. Nobody has any right to dispute anyone else's answers.
  35. What is your motto?
I am fundamentally lazy and this questionnaire uncovers this trait of mine as I am not gonna take the time to answer it.
;)
1692346893419.png

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member

A little bit. Although, working a really long post like that on my phone, I kind of had to get through it quickly (in case my phone crashed) and also didn't go super in-depth. When the post asked about heroes, I also could have mentioned a few of my favorite philosophers, which is more a loose consideration of the term "hero". But I digress. Maybe another time.

PureX

Veteran Member

35. What is your motto?
I don't live in a mental landscape of extremes, like "best" and "worst" or "most" and "least". Yet it seems that every one of these questions is based on this way of defining reality. So I have no answers to give, here.