• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who are the truth seekers here?

Araceli Cianna

It's just how it is with online forums... I've been on a few and usually there are the pot stirrers and then there are the people who are genuinely interested in the topic.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
Truth is correspondence to reality, and exists apart from knowledge or any other mental faculty. It may exist apart from all minds, except possibly that of a Supreme Being.

Objective Truth aka scientific knowledge, corresponds with reality. But the relationship of subjective Truth, aka beauty or art, to physical reality, is non-existent.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Objective Truth aka scientific knowledge, corresponds with reality. But the relationship of subjective Truth, aka beauty or art, to physical reality, is non-existent.
That's not true at all. Music is art. Music produces sound, a physical reality. Painting is art. Paintings exist on physical media. In fact, art, and all subjective truths manifests into the physical plane of existence. Its very real and substantial reality, (the opposite of non-existent) is expressed as physical form. In the same vein, I'd argue as well as that the entirety of all manifest creation in its myriad physical forms is all an expression of the Subjective.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
That's not true at all. Music is art. Music produces sound, a physical reality. Painting is art. Paintings exist on physical media. In fact, art, and all subjective truths manifests into the physical plane of existence. Its very real and substantial reality, (the opposite of non-existent) is expressed as physical form.
Of course, music, paintings, sculpture, movies etc. are art conveyed in a medium. Does a rock, an objective physical reality, understand the art of the melody and the poetic lyrics of a song? No, it takes an intellect, the subjective aspect of an intellect, to absorb the art. And to others, the same song is not beautiful art, but garbage. That best illustrates the true subjective nature of art. If it was an objective subject, it's receptions would be universal.

Yes, some morons will claim that gravity is anti-gravity, but that only reflects on their irrationality or obtrusiveness.

In the same vein, I'd argue as well as that the entirety of all manifest creation in its myriad physical forms is all an expression of the Subjective.

Yes, the universe imparts a definite sense of beauty or ugliness, but only for those capable of appreciating it. But for all the plants, animals, rocks and even the vacuum of space, the speed of light in a vacuum is exactly, universally, immutably the same.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
sayak83 said:
You appear to lack an important characteristic for a genuine truth seeker: humility

Incorrect. Humility is irrelevant to truth seeking

This I categorize under spiritual EGO. And by definition impossible to get cured. Case closed for me.
Let me give you one major tip though. What I read sofar 100% sure you will disregard this one.
Humility is essential to truth FINDING [100% sure you will find out this truth though, unless I am mistaken]
IMHO

Last edited:

zenobia

I think you're supposed to capitalise the 'T' then.
I tend to think the journey is the destination, if that makes sense?
Saying this with a smile...I think your response is very typical of what people are focused..... can't see the forest from the TREES...Don't sweat the small stuff...:)

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Saying this with a smile...I think your response is very typical of what people are focused..... can't see the forest from the TREES...Don't sweat the small stuff...:)

No...but I would admit my response to you is more coloured by what I typically see, than anything I know about you, so it's entirely possible that I was mistaken. But since the internet is a challenge in terms of clear messaging, I'll try and explain more fully what I meant...

1) Commonly, I find people claiming to have 'the truth'. This is not always some un-nuanced version of them thinking they know everything, but it often is. Those folks, be they religious or otherwise, commonly seem determined to look at life through a single paradigm, and commonly believe they not only know the truth, but actually know 'The Truth'. Like, the big metalogical key to it all.

2) Rather than trying to arrive at 'The Truth', I think the very pursuit of greater knowledge and understanding is actually where the value lies. The journey is what is important. Being open to new knowledge, adding to our worldviews, and not closing ourselves to new thoughts and experiences.

I very much don't sweat the small stuff. In fact, I might not be very good at even sweating the big stuff, but we all have our battles.
Anyway, if you don't think you have 'The Truth', you are open to new knowledge and experiences, and you have a good sense of perspective, then I apologise...my post was in error.
If you do think you have 'The Truth', though, I stand by it.

Cary Cook

I admit arrogance.
After looking up arrogance, I no longer admit arrogance. I think my self-worth judgment is justified.

However, I do admit self-righteousness and lack of humility - as Christians understand the term.
---------------------------------------------------------
Note to administrators:

I hereby permit anyone in RF to accuse me of anything, and call me anything they want to. I request that administrators do not censor them.

zenobia

No...but I would admit my response to you is more coloured by what I typically see, than anything I know about you, so it's entirely possible that I was mistaken. But since the internet is a challenge in terms of clear messaging, I'll try and explain more fully what I meant...

1) Commonly, I find people claiming to have 'the truth'. This is not always some un-nuanced version of them thinking they know everything, but it often is. Those folks, be they religious or otherwise, commonly seem determined to look at life through a single paradigm, and commonly believe they not only know the truth, but actually know 'The Truth'. Like, the big metalogical key to it all.

2) Rather than trying to arrive at 'The Truth', I think the very pursuit of greater knowledge and understanding is actually where the value lies. The journey is what is important. Being open to new knowledge, adding to our worldviews, and not closing ourselves to new thoughts and experiences.

I very much don't sweat the small stuff. In fact, I might not be very good at even sweating the big stuff, but we all have our battles.
Anyway, if you don't think you have 'The Truth', you are open to new knowledge and experiences, and you have a good sense of perspective, then I apologise...my post was in error.
If you do think you have 'The Truth', though, I stand by it.

Thanks for your kind response. I do understand what you are saying. In light of your explanation perhaps I should say that I do believe I have found ‘The Truth’. But that does not mean I’m not open to truth regarding other issues/matters or points of view. I think ‘perception’ is incredibly interesting, while being valid, may not necessarily be true. I feel that’s its very important to understand perceptions but equally important to help align perception with Truth. For example: Because of limited personal exposure or biased news media, or through a single bad experience some may form their perception about a person/belief and this becomes truth to them. While being a valid perception from their perspective it may not necessarily truly express the truth of the matter. Wouldn’t it be nice if everyone could/would respect each other’s perception, while kindly adding to their understanding in a respectful manner leading them to The Truth! Just like you have done during our conversation:)

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
After looking up arrogance, I no longer admit arrogance. I think my self-worth judgment is justified.

However, I do admit self-righteousness and lack of humility - as Christians understand the term.
---------------------------------------------------------
Note to administrators:

I hereby permit anyone in RF to accuse me of anything, and call me anything they want to. I request that administrators do not censor them.
That red part is against a rule, I think.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It is. But I want my request on record.
I'm proud to not be among the offense takers.
It makes me feel morally superior; and I luuuuuv feeling morally superior.
I don't remember ever feeling morally superior, but I think that I have felt cognitively superior and it does feel fine.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
It makes me feel morally superior
Not sure if this is something to be proud of, remembering my neighbouring country.
High morals I can only applaud [Yourself feeling superior you might want to rethink].
[GALLERY=media, 8488]Hitler by stvdv posted Apr 15, 2018 at 2:53 PM[/GALLERY]

Last edited:

Cary Cook

Not sure if this is something to be proud of, remembering my neighbouring country.
High morals I can only applaud [Yourself feeling superior you might want to rethink].
[GALLERY=media, 8488]Hitler by stvdv posted Apr 15, 2018 at 2:53 PM[/GALLERY]
I'm proud to not be among offense takers.
Not being among offense takers makes me feel morally superior.
The fact that immoral people can feel morally superior too doesn't concern me.

Last edited: