• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who are the truth seekers here?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Who are the truth seekers in the Theological Concepts section?

It has come to my attention that there are many in RF who blatantly don't care about truth. They are just here to exercise their ability to play games. Such people waste my time.

There are also professed truth seekers who are off the yellow brick road, and sleeping in a dogma field.

I only care about talking to active rational truth seekers, and I want to know who you are. I mean objective truth. i.e. Correspondence to reality. I want to talk to people who not only use logic when it leads to conclusions they like, but also submit to logic when it leads to conclusions they don't like.

This thread will probably also attract responses from the people I have no use for, but that's OK; I want to know who to ignore.

Dear Cary,
This is my first post to you..... ever.
Please add my name to your ignore list, immediately.
So.... this will be my last post to you..... ever.

:p

dfnj

It has come to my attention that there are many in RF who blatantly don't care about truth. They are just here to exercise their ability to play games. Such people waste my time.

There are also professed truth seekers who are off the yellow brick road, and sleeping in a dogma field.

I only care about talking to active rational truth seekers, and I want to know who you are. I mean objective truth. i.e. Correspondence to reality. I want to talk to people who not only use logic when it leads to conclusions they like, but also submit to logic when it leads to conclusions they don't like.

This thread will probably also attract responses from the people I have no use for, but that's OK; I want to know who to ignore.

A professor once told me it's better not to say anything because people will just think you are a fool. If you say anything at all, it will prove it!

I'm really glad you are hear to let us know what "objective truth" is otherwise people here would not have a clue. You da man!

David T

Premium Member

The title feels like an oxymoron. Just saying

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
I'm not a truth seeker; more that when we remove all the fallacies from a subject first, we get nearer to something that can be shown to be possible...

Religiously minded people seem to have this tendency to want Boolean answers (true, false, null); when many things are variables with multiple probabilities.

So tho personally seeking what is real, this can never be relayed fully as the truth; as others have to walk the same paths, to understand why it is the only option left.

In my opinion. :innocent:

Axe Elf

Prophet
Humility gives one the ability to acknowledge ones errors and ones ignorance. Allows one to sincerely listen and learn from others. People without humility are unable to learn and hence unable to seek truth effectively.

Therefore, it's only my great humility that makes me better than everyone else.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
First I agree with @YmirGF your website needs of help.

I do consider myself a 'seeker,' and a Socratic skeptic. This does mean I do not believe, but I consider everything in terms of the fallible human philosophical/theological perspective open to question.

I consider science on a firmer foundation understanding the physical nature of our existence and no more, but always subject to change based on new information.

I believe there exists an ultimate 'Truth' exists, but out of reach of fallible human comprehension. I believe we can get closer in science concerning the nature of our physical existence, but there will always be unknowns.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I can just smell the self-righteousness.:p

I agree, the humility of recognizing the limits of fallible humans to comprehend the nature of our existence both physical and spiritual are critical to constructive knowledge.

Claims of recognizing or knowing the 'Truth' are critical barriers to the advancement of humanity, and ending the violence that divides humanity.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

It’s unfortunate that nowadays the focus seems to be on egotistical pursuits such as ‘winning an argument’ which is seen as the apex of knowledge by some. Instead of trying to learn from others we often fall into the trap of just trying to belittle the thoughts of another to ‘win’.

Maturity is needed if we are to accord another persons view the same respect we give our own,

We have lost the ability to question our selves. Maybe another person’s view can enhance our understanding. But if the object is just to ‘win’ then we get defensive if a different view is offered.

We can learn from everyone. If we find out something truer or more worthy then we should accept it not become defensive. For if someone has kindly pointed out something we are ignorant about then we stand to gain.

If we can’t question ourselves then that means we think our views are infallible but human reason and logic is finite and limited.

For instance if I say there is no God, have I explored the entire universe and all existence to be able to categorically make that statement? Can’t I say ‘maybe’? Or if more information comes to light maybe I can agree there is a God instead of just rejection, denial and self assertion which are emotions and not based on fact or reality.

A more mature discussion centres around possibilities and everything is on the table. It is pooling knowledge to help each other learn more not ‘win’.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I wasn't raised with religion, though around age 12, I felt there was a Creator for sure. It would not be until I was 27 that I had an encounter with a God that felt real. For various reasons, I did not want an organized religion, but wanted to worship the Creator with those who believed the Bible Literally, and did not throw out ideas that felt "key" to me. Much later relief missions and missionary trips made me think that was serving God. Oh the trail of pain.

I've had exposure to Christianity and Islam and plan to explore what the Jews believe. In my reading Zoroastrianism and Yazidism are fascinating but I am a mere novice.

Being a faithful follower of the Creator has been hard and trying and I've made many mistakes. Right now, Micah 6:8, Matt 22:36-40 seem to be all that is left of me. It seems clear to me that one who says they follow Jesus by showing love to others and adoring God. It is repulsive to me to attack someone of another belief. I am not the judge but the servant.

If I am not good enough for you, then I wish you peace.
as you were scoping over Christian faith......did you catch that phrase....

I have not come with peace....but with a sword
and the Carpenter went on to speak of division He would make

and I've seen one practitioner of Islam stand to a podium with microphone and begin his speech......
Islam is not a religion of peace

I myself, have no congregation or religion
but I do suspect the peace of heaven is guarded
and the angels.....though they be servants......
carry swords

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
You appear to lack an important characteristic for a genuine truth seeker: humility

Quite so, unless you happen to be naive or ignorant of the effects the ego or psychological self can have in distorting what you think of as true or false -- let alone any other reasons there might be for humility. But I get from the OP that naive arrogance is the ruler of the day (and the thread), here.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member

I love your post, since more than Heaven or Hell, I felt like my search for God had to do with wanting to know if God is ultimate truth.

A part of loving truth, even, as you wrote, where it leads where you would not go, is self-preservation, wisdom. Truth can tell me I need counseling, repentance, to change employment or a relationship, etc.

Thanks for your post.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic

I might as well come right out and say it, I'm the world's foremost authority on Truth, :) I'm only half-kidding. But I have a working model for Truth that's stood the test of time. I agree with your OP, especially that it will probably draw contentious individuals. Comes with the territory, I s'pose. For me, Truth is God and vice versa, wherever that may lead.

But I have one correction to make, Truth is more than just objective Truth. I think it can be thought of as being composed of 4 aspects: knowledge, justice, love & beauty--in a spectrum from the universally objective to individually subjective, and combined in the middle two. I originally thought there may be more than four, but all apparent new ones have turned out to be just expressions of one of the four.

Epistemology is the study of the nature of knowledge, but there is no recognized academic discipline for studying the nature of Truth as a whole, no Veritism 101. It's not even in the Dewey Decimal System.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Do you mean truth, as in...
That which is true or in accordance with fact or reality.

Or do you mean "Truth" (note quotes and capitalisation) as in...
A belief that is accepted as true.

?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Quite so, unless you happen to be naive or ignorant of the effects the ego or psychological self can have in distorting what you think of as true or false -- let alone any other reasons there might be for humility. But I get from the OP that naive arrogance is the ruler of the day (and the thread), here.
You could call it naive arrogance, but I think a desperation to forcibly maintain comfortable delusions is more accurate. Humility opens the mind. Fear closes it. And like the fundamentalist who hides this fear in saying, "It's not my words, but God's!," the funda-rationalist says, "It's not me just saying this, but logic proves this!". :) Such overt displays of masking one's own fear of not-knowing and not being OK with that. It ain't a matter of IQ, but EQ.

OP, if you were a truth seeker, you would ask, not tell. You don't know truth. Put me on ignore as well to further seal your fate and wrap yourself fully in your blanket of self-delusion.