• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Among You Is Directly Related To Jesus By Birth?

Skwim

Veteran Member
Considering that the DNA of Jesus contained at least that of his mother (I haven't a clue as to what kind of DNA god contributed) and that his mother had at least four sons and two daughters---I see no reason to conclude that Mary was a perpetual virgin---my guess is that at least one, and most likely, most of Jesus' siblings left progeny of their own. And that each, bearing traces of Mary's DNA, has passed this DNA down to the present era, which, if all descendants survived and each bore two children, comes out to 1,152,921,504,606,847,000 descendants.* That's over a quintillion (American nomenclature) people. Of course not all would have made it to child bearing age or even bore children, but whatever the number is it's gotta be pretty darn big.

So, just think about it, YOU could be a distant relative of Jesus . . . . . . . .or maybe . . . . Pontius Pilot ;)

WOW.gif

*based on 60 generations over 2,000 years

WalterTrull

Godfella
Considering that the DNA of Jesus contained at least that of his mother (I haven't a clue as to what kind of DNA god contributed) and that his mother had at least four sons and two daughters---I see no reason to conclude that Mary was a perpetual virgin---my guess is that at least one, and most likely, most of Jesus' siblings left progeny of their own. And that each, bearing traces of Mary's DNA, has passed this DNA down to the present era, which, if all descendants survived and each bore two children, comes out to 1,152,921,504,606,847,000 descendants.* That's over a quintillion (American nomenclature) people. Of course not all would have made it to child bearing age or even bore children, but whatever the number is it's gotta be pretty darn big.

So, just think about it, YOU could be a distant relative of Jesus . . . . . . . .or maybe . . . . Pontius Pilot ;)

WOW.gif

*based on 60 generations over 2,000 years

Come on! We're all related by birth.

GoodbyeDave

That argument is a very common fallacy: it ignores the possibility of people marrying cousins.

For example, both Princess Meghan and Prince Harry are distant cousins and descended from Edward III. On the other hand, when the first Viscount Nuffield had his ancestry traced back to the Middle Ages, there were no royals: all his ancestors were country people.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
I'm directly related to Frederick William I of Prussia...does that count

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
his mother had at least four sons and two daughters
Source? I believe in her perpetual virginity so I'm not going to agree that she had other children, but where do you get those figures from? I usually hear that James was Jesus' brother.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Source? I believe in her perpetual virginity so I'm not going to agree that she had other children, but where do you get those figures from? I usually hear that James was Jesus' brother.

Matthew 12:46-50 (NKJV)
46 While He was still talking to the multitudes, behold, His mother and brothers stood outside, seeking to speak with Him. 47 Then one said to Him, “Look, Your mother and Your brothers are standing outside, seeking to speak with You.”

Matthew 13:55-56 (NKJV)
55 Is this not the carpenter’s son? Is not His mother called Mary? And His brothers James, Joses, Simon, and Judas? 56 And His sisters, are they not all with us? Where then did this Man get all these things?”

Mark 3:31 (NKJV)
31 Then His brothers and His mother came, and standing outside they sent to Him, calling Him.

Mark 6:3 (NKJV)
3 Is this not the carpenter, the Son of Mary, and brother of James, Joses, Judas, and Simon? And are not His sisters here with us?” So they were offended at Him.

Mark 6:3 (Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition)
3 Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joseph, and Jude, and Simon? are not also his sisters here with us? And they were scandalized in regard of him.

Mark 6:3 New Revised Standard Version, Anglicised Catholic Edition (NRSVACE)
3 Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary and brother of James and Joses and Judas and Simon, and are not his sisters here with us?’ And they took offence at him.

Luke 8:19 (NKJV)
19 Then His mother and brothers came to Him, and could not approach Him because of the crowd.

John 2:12 (NKJV)
12 After this He went down to Capernaum, He, His mother, His brothers, and His disciples; and they did not stay there many days.

Galatians 1:19 (NKJV)
19 But I saw none of the other apostles except James, the Lord’s brother.

Acts 1:14 (NKJV)
14 These all continued with one accord in prayer band supplication, with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with His brothers.
So we have four brothers:
James
Joses
Simon
Judas
And at least two sisters:
"are not His sisters here" (plural).

Last edited:

leroy

Yes, but not directly.

But thanks for bringing this up. :thumbsup: I changed the title to reflect this important aspect.

Yes I also realized it a few years ago.

Almost all humans from the year 0 are our direct ancestors. This is a mathematical/statistical certainty.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
All modern humans must be inter related and trace back to the first modern humans. Most of us also have have genetic links to Neanderthals and other pre-modern human groups.

Were Adam and Eve Neanderthals or Cro-Magnon.