• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Am I? Again

atanu

Premium Member
Sounds fair to me. My biggest issue is that you use terms that need tight definitions, such as selfhood-intellegence, and the others I have alredy requested a definition of. Can you clearely define them and provide sn example?

I believe that consciousness is the product of a living brain and nervous system. I have not seen or heard of any instances where consciousness exists absentof a mind. If you have examples of such which are supported by empirical evidence, I would love to hear about them. If this is merely a philosophicsl discussion, I will leave you to it.

Yeah. The living brain. Now what makes a brain living?

Our concepts are different. In “I am xyz”, the body, brain, the nervous system components are all waking state objects (xyz) that cannot engengender the “I am” awareness that underlies every cognition of ours. Objects cannot give birth to the subject that says “I”. Objects can modify the manifestation of the “I”.

The materialistic viewpoint is not new to me and I understand it fully. But for most people the meaning of “I am”, from subjective point of view is not clear. What is the true nature of self? Is it only the body-brain? Usually communication breaks down when two people come from these two opposing perspective.

So, if you really wish, we may exchange notes and see where we land. It will be pleasure if the discussion remains sarcasm free.

atanu

Premium Member
I think that ""I am xyz", the 'xyz' is the creator of "I am", sums up the entirety of your circular logic. Creating your own "word salad of labels"(foreign or domestic), will never replace rational and verifiable evidence/facts. ....

Truly enlightened?

1. Please show evidence that 'xyz' (the composite of objects that are discerned by the subject) is the creator of "I".
2. If 'xyz' is creator of you then how will you (the self, the subject) ever know yourself. Can a created character know its creator?

gnostic

The Lost One
Lousy? Well. Please moderate your language.

What does property of a thing mean? If consciousness is the property of body or brain, then a dead body or a dead brain should be able to shout "I want to live".

If consciousness is product of body, then how will it know the body? How does consciousness keep track of bodily and mental changes? How the "I" awareness persists through states of deep sleep, eat, dream and waking? Can the product of body know the states of the mind/body?

The "I am" consciousness must be distinct from the objects and their changing states.
Lot of things have properties, but if you are going to use examples, then you could have provide a more relevant example than the terrible one you have used.

Sugar is not a living matter, it cannot think, nor have consciousness, so your example is lousy, because they are not comparable.

atanu

Premium Member
Lot of things have properties, but if you are going to use examples, then you could have provide a more relevant example than the terrible one you have used.
Sugar is not a living matter, it cannot think, nor have consciousness, so your example is lousy, because they are not comparable.

Shouting 'lousy' again and again does not make anything lousy. It only shows your state of mind. If you wish to counter any point do it in a civil manner.

Property means: an attribute, quality, or characteristic of something.

So, 'property' is applicable to anything, animate or not. Whether sugar is non living or not does not matter. In the present case, if consciousness was brain's property, then a dead brain would be consciousness. The point is valid.

Last edited:

ajay0

When one says "I am xyz", what is meant?

"I am xyz" usually is understood to mean "I am a particular body-mind-intellect complex named 'xyz', aware of myself and the world."

But on a closer examination we may find that "I am xyz" is composed of two:
  1. "I am" the subject that is the existent-consciousness, the sentient unchanging component
  2. and xyz, which comprises a continually changeable mix of insentient objects.
How is it possible that the being, the existent-conscious subject, that knows all objects is forgotten and the experienced conglomerate of unconscious objects is taken up as "Me"?

Who Am I?

This is well-stated.

The Self or Being or 'existent conscious subject' identifies itself with objects including the body , even in spite of its insentience. This is probably because we identify with that which is pleasurable, and the body is a source of pleasure.

Disidentifying from the body and mind through meditation or self-awareness enables one to look at it as an object, and understand its separateness.

The philosophical method of Neti, neti or negation also works in this manner...

As Gary Weber stated, " A starting point of this work (neti,neti) is the realization that if you can recognize something else, or objectify it, you can’t be that. You can’t be the object you observe. You can’t be in two places at the same time. You cannot both see your hands and be your hands. You cannot feel the tension in your shoulder and be that tension. The focus is on whether your identification with the body is correct or whether you are just the witness to the body-mind’s functioning. This inquiry is a first step to moving towards what many call witness consciousness. "

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Stuff creates New Stuff that ends up creating other Stuff that creates more Stuff
That circle I can understand, but beyond that....
I'm out of here.

Truly Enlightened

Truly enlightened?

1. Please show evidence that 'xyz' (the composite of objects that are discerned by the subject) is the creator of "I".
2. If 'xyz' is creator of you then how will you (the self, the subject) ever know yourself. Can a created character know its creator?

You are the one making the un-falsifiable claim that "the composite of objects that are discerned by the subject, is the creator of "I"". This is just a jumbled hotchpotch of terms that sound like they might have some specific meaning. You stated that " I am xyz", the 'xyz' is the creator of "I am". This is clearly circular reasoning, is it not? Asking me to disprove your reasoning and logic seems a lot like avoiding your burden of proof. You can't simply make extraordinary statements, and ask others to disprove them. You must provide a rational framework for your belief. Your statements are not truth simply because people can't disprove them. This would indeed be the arrogant and egocentric position.

My parents created me through the biological process that began with my inception. I have no awareness of the event, but I am aware that my parents and the parents of my brothers and sisters, are who they claim to be. Before I can possibly answer your out of context, loaded and presumptive questions, I need to know what you mean by these equivocated terms; "composite of objects", "Creator", "self vs. subject vs. yourself", "created character", and the "I am". Are you assuming that a Creator exists, or that the Creator is "xyz"? Are you seriously asking me to provide evidence that a Creator created the "I"?

gnostic

The Lost One
Shouting 'lousy' again and again does not make anything lousy. It only shows your state of mind. If you wish to counter any point do it in a civil manner.
The word “lousy” just mean “bad”, “poor” or “terrible”. It isn’t a swear word, atanu.

So I could have rephrase my phrase with “this is a poor example” or “this is a bad example”.

I don’t see me being “uncivil” here. I don’t think you know what lousy mean.

What did you think it mean?

atanu

Premium Member
Stuff creates New Stuff that ends up creating other Stuff that creates more Stuff
I'm out of here.

This Stuff of yours is inert or intelligent? How it creates? And what about the created objects? Are inert or intelligent?

ajay0

I'm out of here.

Stuff creating new stuff which in turn creating more stuff is just a play of the psychological mind which goes in circles.

Understanding one's own true identity, as in self-knowledge , puts an end to this going in circles. Till then one is doomed to have psychological turmoil and despair in one's life.

Advaita or nonduality is the hardest philosophy in the world to comprehend, and it is the knowing transcendence of the intellect understanding its futility in recognizing the truth, that finally enables one to comprehend the truth as it is.

It is obviously hard, but anything hard has its corresponding reward.

As the enlightened sage Ramana Maharshi stated,"Nearly all mankind is more or less unhappy because nearly all do not know the true Self. Real happiness abides in Self-knowledge alone.All else is fleeting.To know one’s Self is to be blissful always."

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
hey Ajay0,
Monism and dualism in international law
The terms monism and dualism are used to describe two different theories of the relationship between international law and national law. Many states, perhaps most, are partly monist and partly dualist in their actual application of international law in their national systems.
While the term "nondualism" is derived from Advaita Vedanta, descriptions of nondual consciousness can be found within Hinduism (Turiya, sahaja), Buddhism (Buddha-nature, rigpa, shentong), and western Christian and neo-Platonic traditions (henosis, mystical union).
Reading that : We have the choice of escaping life to travel to Nirvana after death,
or becoming a bit of the Stuff around us, if Nirvana is the choice, that's a good choice,
but...I'd like to taste and breath the Stuff around us before I die, and after that happening.
I'm not unhappy now, and won't be after I die, I won't know then.... will I ?
Does one know the true Self ? Does one know what real happiness is ?
Will anyone know that happiness is there after death ? Even after knowing one's self ?
Well, enjoy Nirvana when you get there, I'll try to enjoy the Stuff around me, when I go.

Last edited by a moderator:

ajay0

hey Ajay0,
Monism and dualism in international law
The terms monism and dualism are used to describe two different theories of the relationship between international law and national law. Many states, perhaps most, are partly monist and partly dualist in their actual application of international law in their national systems.
While the term "nondualism" is derived from Advaita Vedanta, descriptions of nondual consciousness can be found within Hinduism (Turiya, sahaja), Buddhism (Buddha-nature, rigpa, shentong), and western Christian and neo-Platonic traditions (henosis, mystical union).
Reading that : We have the choice of escaping life to travel to Nirvana after death,
or becoming a bit of the Stuff around us, if Nirvana is the choice, that's a good choice,
but...I'd like to taste and breath the Stuff around us before I die, and after that happening.
I'm not unhappy now, and won't be after I die, I won't know then.... while I ?
Does one know the true Self ? Does one know what real happiness is ?
Will anyone know that happiness is there after death ? Even after knowing one's self ?
Well, enjoy Nirvana when you get there, I'll try to enjoy the Stuff around me, when I go.

If you are not unhappy now, you will be in the future. Happiness and unhappines moves along in circles and are pairs of opposites, and bliss rises beyond both.

Nature's laws, not mine, mudsan.

You can enjoy the stuff around you and suffer it as well later on to your hearts content.

For those who are bored of the usual dull stuff around them, and needs something exhilerating of a permanent nature, Advaita then is the Everest to climb.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Ahhh...Atman and Brahman...The end of the Advaita journal,
The Nirvana of the imaginary path to the endless forest of death.
I'm ok with that, altho I don't really understand it, but, good luck.

atanu

Premium Member
This is well-stated.

The Self or Being or 'existent conscious subject' identifies itself with objects including the body , even in spite of its insentience. This is probably because we identify with that which is pleasurable, and the body is a source of pleasure.

But. Body is disease. body is cancer. Body is death. Mind is joyous in moments. But mind is dark, bleak, pain, loneliness.......

What is this association?

Disidentifying from the body and mind through meditation or self-awareness enables one to look at it as an object, and understand its separateness.

The philosophical method of Neti, neti or negation also works in this manner...

As Gary Weber stated, " A starting point of this work (neti,neti) is the realization that if you can recognize something else, or objectify it, you can’t be that. You can’t be the object you observe. You can’t be in two places at the same time. You cannot both see your hands and be your hands. You cannot feel the tension in your shoulder and be that tension. The focus is on whether your identification with the body is correct or whether you are just the witness to the body-mind’s functioning. This inquiry is a first step to moving towards what many call witness consciousness. "

Thank you for introducing the subject of 'Neti Neti' -- the purpose of the thread.

atanu

Premium Member
All humans believe "I am this body-mind-intellect". The 'body-mind-intellect' (BMI) is seat of great joys: food, music, literature, touch etc. etc. But eventually the "BMI" is poison, without exception. Cancer, pain, desolation, break-up, death, .........

Vedanta identified this as due to mis-identification of conscious subject, the self (I) with insentient (BMI) -- like a cinema watcher affected by misfortune of screen characters. Vedanta teaches us the way to disentangle the "I" (the subject) from the "BMI" (object).

This thread was created to introduce that concept. But, if the thread leads to ego arguments, the whole purpose is defeated. So, I said that I wish no argument. Yet, I realise that many of the unending arguments stem from differences in understanding of the terms used.

In Vedantic understanding, consciousness is not that which is manifest in mind. But consciousness (prajnana) is that which precedes the knowing, that which is the competence of knowing/discerning. According to Vedanta, this competence is the root of existence. It differs from the materialistic thinking. but that should not lead to ego arguments. if one finds anything of benefit, one is welcome to participate. If another disagrees let him disagree. No problem. The truth does not get affected. Bad words, however, create bad atmosphere. We can surely avoid that.

I created a small note to clarify the basics.

Consciousness and Mind according to Vedanta

Last edited:

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
The thread is becoming too circular for me.
Too many idols and pseudo `gods`.
Too many elusive mysteries and quizzes.
So, I'm passing

Truly Enlightened

All humans believe "I am this body-mind-intellect". The 'body-mind-intellect' (BMI) is seat of great joys: food, music, literature, touch etc. etc. But eventually the "BMI" is poison, without exception. Cancer, pain, desolation, break-up, death, .........

Vedanta identified this as due to mis-identification of conscious subject, the self (I) with insentient (BMI) -- like a cinema watcher affected by misfortune of screen characters. Vedanta teaches us the way to disentangle the "I" (the subject) from the "BMI" (object).

This thread was created to introduce that concept. But, if the thread leads to ego arguments, the whole purpose is defeated. So, I said that I wish no argument. Yet, I realise that many of the unending arguments stem from differences in understanding of the terms used.

In Vedantic understanding, consciousness is not that which is manifest in mind. But consciousness (prajnana) is that which precedes the knowing, that which is the competence of knowing/discerning. According to Vedanta, this competence is the root of existence. It differs from the materialistic thinking. but that should not lead to ego arguments. if one finds anything of benefit, one is welcome to participate. If another disagrees let him disagree. No problem. The truth does not get affected. Bad words, however, create bad atmosphere. We can surely avoid that.

I created a small note to clarify the basics.

Consciousness and Mind according to Vedanta

What precedes knowing/knowledge is unknowing/ignorance. Competence has two meanings. One is a degree of efficiency, and the other is having a large enough income to live on. Are you equivocating the meaning of competence, to mean how efficient we are at knowing/discerning things? Or, are you implying that it has some emerging property? Are newborns more/less competent then teens or adults? Do our sense organs become more/less competent as we age? I think that it is you that is being insentient, if you believe that "competence" is also the root of existence. This again is ambiguous, since you never include or demonstrate how. Our emotions, sense of awareness, consciousness(up to 8 layers), instincts, genetic programming, and our unique individual behavior, are all part of the human condition. The activities in the physical brain can be easily studied, manipulated, controlled, observed(EEG, fMRI, PET, SPECT, NIRS, etc.), measured, and even replicated. We are learning more about the workings of the brain each year.

I don't have a problem with you personally. You simply represent a group of people who are looking for metaphysical explanations, that represents anything that is greater than the sum of its parts. Anything that will support your confirmation bias or presupposition. You believe that after all the neurotransmitters have hit their receptors and all the neurons have fired, that there must bel something else left out in explaining consciousness. You are a "duelist", and believe that there is a separation between the mind and the brain(body). You believe that all the whirling electrons and photons cannot explain why a certain neuronal configuration can result in our seeing blue rather than red. You need to create self-serving terms like "soul", "I am", "Universal consciousness", "Intelligent Design", "BMI", "Insentience", and "Creator", to conclude that consciousness cannot be fully explained. You are not interested in the actual research, dysfunctions, diseases, observations, or how the functioning brain is being tested. You are not interested in any role memory plays in consciousness, or how it acquires new knowledge. Nor are you interested in how the Endocrine glands, the Hippocampus, the Amygdala, the Thalami, the Limbic system, the genes, or the plasticity of the brain, can effect consciousness.

Consciousness is nothing more than the ability of our brain to acquire information. Including the content of that information, and the efficiency of its ability to get the information into and out of its memory. All this is very important. Since it means that everything we are conscious of, is totally dependent on the quality of information the brain receives and interprets, from its receptors. This can be easily tested, and can demonstrate just how easily the conscious mind can be fooled. This, and physics, also rules out any paranormal or supernatural activities. I believe that a functioning brain is identical to a conscious mind. A functioning brain can exist without a conscious mind, but a conscious mind can't exist without a functioning brain.This makes me a materialist and not a dualist. If you believe that consciousness cannot be solely explained as a function of the brain, then what is it? And, where is it? Maybe you can also tell me if there is a physical difference between consciousness, intentionality, free-will, and a mental representation? Who am I? I am the sum total of the expression of my genes, and the positive and negative reinforcements created by my family, my society and my culture. I have no "free will" before and action(tested), but I have "free won't" to not complete the action(other that reflex).

Since you appear to not answer any of my questions, you are only proselytizing/preaching your particular beliefs. You are not interested in any rational dialogue, unless you impose conditions. This again is not allowed on this forum. Debate threads are not simply "your way, or the highway". I can provide evidence that can suggest what consciousness is. This will be based on inductive and deductive reasoning, examples, logic, intuition, observations, predictions, and consistency. You simply deposit a language puzzle, floating in a soup of equivocated terms. Except in this puzzle, all pieces will always fit. If they don't, you just invent a new term to make them fit. This is not science, it is belief.