• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Am I? Again

atanu

Premium Member
When one says "I am xyz", what is meant?

"I am xyz" usually is understood to mean "I am a particular body-mind-intellect complex named 'xyz', aware of myself and the world."

But on a closer examination we may find that "I am xyz" is composed of two:
  1. "I am" the subject that is the existent-consciousness, the sentient unchanging component
  2. and xyz, which comprises a continually changeable mix of insentient objects.
How is it possible that the being, the existent-conscious subject, that knows all objects is forgotten and the experienced conglomerate of unconscious objects is taken up as "Me"?

Who Am I?

Last edited:

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
When one says "I am xyz", what is meant?

"I am xyz" usually is understood to mean "I am a particular body-mind-intellect complex named 'xyz', aware of myself and the world."

But on a closer examination we may find that "I am xyz" is composed of two:
  1. "I am" the subject that is the existent-consciousness, the sentient unchanging component
  2. and xyz, which comprises a continually changeable mix of insentient objects.
How is it possible that the being, the existent-conscious subject, that knows all objects is forgotten and the experienced conglomerate of unconscious objects is taken up as "Me"?

Who Am I?

the two birds parable applies

Two birds, beautiful of wings, close companions, cling to one common tree: of the two one eats the sweet fruit of that tree; the other eats not but watches his companion. The self is the bird that sits immersed on the common tree; but because he is not lord he is bewildered and has sorrow. But when he sees that other who is the Lord and the beloved, he knows that all is His greatness and his sorrow passes away from him. When, a seer, he sees the Golden-hued, the maker, the Lord, the Spirit who is the source of Brahman, then he becomes the knower and shakes from his wings sin and virtue; pure of all stains he reaches the supreme identity.

the problem is that the observer sometimes can't see the observer/seer as part of the reality being observed; if they're only aware of things observed apart from self.
if the only thing they observe is things separate, they don't observe the observer. this changes with meditation. with meditation they begin to see themselves in their thoughts and actions relative to their objects observed.

So in this idea then, everybody is fundamentally the ultimate reality, not god in a politically kingly sense, but god in the sense of being the self, the deep-down basic whatever there is. And you are all that, only you are pretending you are not. - The Dream of Life - Alan Watts

i am is the paramatman, purusha, the lord that is us and "xyz" is the actor that its playing. i am that i am

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

the awe of love is the beginning of understanding

namaste

Last edited:

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Try this:
I was Stuff before I became more Stuff and I will become lost Stuff when I become new Stuff.
And the spirit goes on and on......
OK ?

Agent

Reid commented on Descartes, " A man who doubts his own existence is like one who is made out of glass." I am Agent Smith, and I have friends like Juli.

AxwNOTIvv7nhVRNT12MEtuXpdNYfaahEGP_TCm6JPwlDp3k4SFWZtMlI7Vx0W0Lu1OQheV8Atp8QLRzqJLiXsjwG-xv9hHp1r_f0rUEPtfIpNvgeWc0h80gsYYivVexwKBmEiiib

atanu

Premium Member
You are someone making a dumb thread.:p

Why dumb?

“Who am I?” Is a general query and does not refer to any xyz person. That was the post about. The post is about the enquiring the validity of assuming attributes of body-mind-intellect as the self.

Last edited:

atanu

Premium Member
Reid commented on Descartes, " A man who doubts his own existence is like one who is made out of glass." I am Agent Smith, and I have friends like Juli.

AxwNOTIvv7nhVRNT12MEtuXpdNYfaahEGP_TCm6JPwlDp3k4SFWZtMlI7Vx0W0Lu1OQheV8Atp8QLRzqJLiXsjwG-xv9hHp1r_f0rUEPtfIpNvgeWc0h80gsYYivVexwKBmEiiib

Is not “I am, so I see and think”, more appropriate?

Last edited:

atanu

Premium Member
the two birds parable applies

Two birds, beautiful of wings, close companions, cling to one common tree: of the two one eats the sweet fruit of that tree; the other eats not but watches his companion. The self is the bird that sits immersed on the common tree; but because he is not lord he is bewildered and has sorrow. But when he sees that other who is the Lord and the beloved, he knows that all is His greatness and his sorrow passes away from him. When, a seer, he sees the Golden-hued, the maker, the Lord, the Spirit who is the source of Brahman, then he becomes the knower and shakes from his wings sin and virtue; pure of all stains he reaches the supreme identity.

the problem is that the observer sometimes can't see the observer/seer as part of the reality being observed; if they're only aware of things observed apart from self.
if the only thing they observe is things separate, they don't observe the observer. this changes with meditation. with meditation they begin to see themselves in their thoughts and actions relative to their objects observed.

So in this idea then, everybody is fundamentally the ultimate reality, not god in a politically kingly sense, but god in the sense of being the self, the deep-down basic whatever there is. And you are all that, only you are pretending you are not. - The Dream of Life - Alan Watts

i am is the paramatman, purusha, the lord that is us and "xyz" is the actor that its playing. i am that i am

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

the awe of love is the beginning of understanding

namaste

Thanks for a nice post and an apt video.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Thanks for a nice post and an apt video.

thank you for asking the question about subject and object.

i've known for years that they were contrasts. i never understood until you asked how they were related to self.

atanu

Premium Member
thank you for asking the question about subject and object.

i've known for years that they were contrasts. i never understood until you asked how they were related to self.

This is a crucial enquiry, which is taught as fundamental is Shankaracharya’s Advaita.

When I say I am this body, this mind or this intellect, I am equating the subject I with the object ‘this.’ There is a confusion in the very definition for ‘I’ that I use, since I am equating a conscious-existent entity, ‘I’, with an unconscious entity ‘this.’ ‘This’ normally refers to either to my body, my mind or my intellect.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
This is a crucial enquiry, which is taught as fundamental is Shankaracharya’s Advaita.

When I say I am this body, this mind or this intellect, I am equating the subject I with the object ‘this.’ There is a confusion in the very definition for ‘I’ that I use, since I am equating a conscious-existent entity, ‘I’, with an unconscious entity ‘this.’ ‘This’ normally refers to either to my body, my mind or my intellect.

some become lost in the observation, maya, or the illusion. or become lost in their pretending, imaginings?

62.23 Questioner: Isn’t this unusual that a fifth-density then would bother to do this rather than sending a fourth-density servant, shall I say?

Ra: I am Ra. This is correct. Nearly all positive channels and groups may be lessened in their positivity or rendered quite useless by what we may call the temptations offered by the fourth-density negative thought-forms. They may suggest many distortions towards specific information, towards the aggrandizement of the self, towards the flowering of the organization in some political, social, or fiscal way.

These distortions remove the focus from the One Infinite Source of love and light of which we are all messengers, humble and knowing that we, of ourselves, are but the tiniest portion of the Creator, a small part of a magnificent entirety of infinite intelligence.

i've also heard it likened to the infinite I

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
hey Atanu,
Atanu said: "Does “I am” ever become stuff? "
`I am` comes from Stuff, and eventually returns to the Stuff.
It spends a little time in a few years in pieces of the `now`.
But on the whole, it always will eventually return to the Stuff.
Join you in the Cosmos, enjoying the Stuff.

atanu

Premium Member
hey Atanu,
Atanu said: "Does “I am” ever become stuff? "
`I am` comes from Stuff, and eventually returns to the Stuff.
It spends a little time in a few years in pieces of the `now`.
But on the whole, it always will eventually return to the Stuff.
Join you in the Cosmos, enjoying the Stuff.

Oh. Yes. The Stuff.