• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whither the tact?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
we're not above nature. we are nature. my nature is human. cats are the number one animal to go feral above any domesticated animal. they are killing machines and many conservationists see them as pest when let loose outdoors. we don't allow humans to behave that way and we still love them.

humans can become feral too but loving something, or someone doesn't put them on par with psychologically mature adults. case in point the anti-social people in prison.

so my point is equating a human to animal isn't fair. i don't treat my animals as humans. if someone comes to my house the dog has to use the floor and the person gets to sit in the chair. people who treat animals as humans have lost focus on what an animal is capable of and what a higher animal is capable of

i had a psychologist point out to me once that loving an animal is easier than loving a person that is psychologically more mature. you're pretty much the person controlling the animals boundaries. real love is about letting go and letting be.

you don't get to do that with humans. as they physically and psychologically mature, what you deem in there best interest isn't necessarily allowable. you don't get to determine where they live, what doctors they can/can't visit, who they can and can't be with, what they will and won't eat.

its not fair to compare the two

Good thing life isn't fair, otherwise I'd be concerned.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
we're not above nature. we are nature. my nature is human. cats are the number one animal to go feral above any domesticated animal. they are killing machines and many conservationists see them as pest when let loose outdoors. we don't allow humans to behave that way and we still love them.

It depends on the cat, how it's raised, and his or her environment. Depending on how humans were raised and environment we could be killing machines (and are when we're not "domesticated"-human instinct). We have four cats outside our building and the residents let them in the walk way out of the cold and some feed them each morning in the wee hours. Domesticated cats can't survive in the wild. We are animals too just we adapt to a different environment than our ancestors; thereby, fulfilling the same needs but in a more modern way-so much so we think of ourselves as advanced.

humans can become feral too but loving something, or someone doesn't put them on par with psychologically mature adults. case in point the anti-social people in prison.

Not all. Many anti-social people are not dangerous. Very inaccurate comparison-kind of like saying all depressed people will commit suicide. It goes a bit deeper than that.

so my point is equating a human to animal isn't fair. i don't treat my animals as humans. if someone comes to my house the dog has to use the floor and the person gets to sit in the chair. people who treat animals as humans have lost focus on what an animal is capable of and what a higher animal is capable of

I don't think that's really the context. It's more many people love their animals and don't kick them to the curve just because they are animals. That bond and relationship (which is an animal trait of ours) does not need to be with just humans. Some people bond with their plants as well. The context is relationship not saying cats and humans are the same.

i had a psychologist point out to me once that loving an animal is easier than loving a person that is psychologically more mature. you're pretty much the person controlling the animals boundaries. real love is about letting go and letting be.

Yes and no. I had my brother told me that once that animals were more like slaves than they were loved ones (pets). Not everyone treats their pets like that, though. I hear many people treat their pets just as their children with their own clothes, pet hotels, and more.

you don't get to do that with humans. as they physically and psychologically mature, what you deem in there best interest isn't necessarily allowable. you don't get to determine where they live, what doctors they can/can't visit, who they can and can't be with, what they will and won't eat.

The US has animal protection rights so there's only but so much you can do to harm a pet (heaven forbid) before getting punished for it. I think it's even illegal to abandoned a domesticated pet if I'm not mistaken (US).

its not fair to compare the two

The comparison is about relationship to the care-taker not about their intelligence and nature.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
chows are not very social animals to other humans than their families. some breeds are not considered family friendly types animals. they were bred for a reason other than being the family cuddle buddies. chows aren't cuddle buddies. I had a coworker whose chow killed her grandson.

again, equating animals with human qualities invariably leads to expectations that can't be met

karelian bear dogs do not make good pets. they are bred to be fierce and aggressive
Yes I did find that out later, and them not being that bright apparently. Perhaps it was just short-sighted and missed the food I was not proffering. :oops:

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
actions speak louder than words. a cat or dog is never going to grow up to be self-sufficient, able to create and implement change for the good of many.

This somehow changes it's innate worth to you? It's ability to to be self-sufficient.

Very anthropocentric of you.

You can't say it's (cats) not fully self sufficient, when you also stated it's the first animal go feral, nuisance or not conservation-wise.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Emm, a cat cannot be domesticated, they can choose to live in comfort in a nice human home but give them an opposable thumb and a tin opener and you won't see them for dust.

Again emm. We feed 2 stray cats. One large male, one very small female who appears to have been the runt of the litter. There is no doubt that the male looks after the female.

Our own cat has faced off a dog to protect a young bird that had fallen from a roof. She chased the dog away, returned to the fledgling and waited. A moment or few later the mother flew down, scurried the youngster behind some leaves until it had recovered. Only when they flew off together did our own cat leave her vigil.

Remember, cats were once treated as gods, they have never forgotten this

View attachment 48409
losing a pet isn't one of the top ten most stressful thing in most people's lives. loving one's significant other is number one

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
It depends on the cat, how it's raised, and his or her environment. Depending on how humans were raised and environment we could be killing machines (and are when we're not "domesticated"-human instinct). We have four cats outside our building and the residents let them in the walk way out of the cold and some feed them each morning in the wee hours. Domesticated cats can't survive in the wild. We are animals too just we adapt to a different environment than our ancestors; thereby, fulfilling the same needs but in a more modern way-so much so we think of ourselves as advanced.

Not all. Many anti-social people are not dangerous. Very inaccurate comparison-kind of like saying all depressed people will commit suicide. It goes a bit deeper than that.

I don't think that's really the context. It's more many people love their animals and don't kick them to the curve just because they are animals. That bond and relationship (which is an animal trait of ours) does not need to be with just humans. Some people bond with their plants as well. The context is relationship not saying cats and humans are the same.

Yes and no. I had my brother told me that once that animals were more like slaves than they were loved ones (pets). Not everyone treats their pets like that, though. I hear many people treat their pets just as their children with their own clothes, pet hotels, and more.

The US has animal protection rights so there's only but so much you can do to harm a pet (heaven forbid) before getting punished for it. I think it's even illegal to abandoned a domesticated pet if I'm not mistaken (US).

The comparison is about relationship to the care-taker not about their intelligence and nature.
more likely depends on the human interference given the cats temperance and not so much vice versa

the cat didn't die. the cat isn't human. the creator of the thread is comparing cats to humans.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
This somehow changes it's innate worth to you? It's ability to to be self-sufficient.

Very anthropocentric of you.

You can't say it's (cats) not fully self sufficient, when you also stated it's the first animal go feral, nuisance or not conservation-wise.

you singled out one part of the comment. why ignore the rest?

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
the original poster brought it up. i didn't ask you what was the best time.
The OP complained about what someone had said. They did not ask for a discussion on what the value of a cat's life is. They probably was looking for sympathy or just to vent.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
losing a pet isn't one of the top ten most stressful thing in most people's lives. loving one's significant other is number one

Personally a would prefer to call them family and yes it hurts when you lose one.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
The OP complained about what someone had said. They did not ask for a discussion on what the value of a cat's life is. They probably was looking for sympathy or just to vent.
and the op compared a cat to a someone's child. I don't have a problem with either venting or sympathy.

but honestly the person who responded didn't say anything untrue. the problem is comparing pets to humans.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
and the op compared a cat to a someone's child. I don't have a problem with either venting or sympathy.

but honestly the person who responded didn't say anything untrue. the problem is comparing pets to humans.

I see no problem with this. I am pretty sure many others here agree.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

The person who responded showed no compassion. It seems there's is a lot of it about

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them

Then create your own thread on the value of a cat's life instead of missing the point that someone lacked compassion