• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whither the tact?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Recently one of our cats collapsed. We took him to the hospital, where he was diagnosed with pancreatitis. We thought we were going to lose him, but fortunately he seems to have pulled through.
I put this on a whatsapp group (no meet-ups cos of lockdown) and one friend's response was "Cats are lovely but are very expensive too" and ended with a cat smiley face.
WTAF?

I can't say I'm psychologically invested with her children but if she'd posted "One of my sons is very poorly, he's in hospital and I fear we may lose him" would she have felt it appropriate if I'd replied with "Children are lovely but are very expensive too" ? Probably not, so it's lucky it would never cross my mind.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Recently one of our cats collapsed. We took him to the hospital, where he was diagnosed with pancreatitis. We thought we were going to lose him, but fortunately he seems to have pulled through.
I put this on a whatsapp group (no meet-ups cos of lockdown) and one friend's response was "Cats are lovely but are very expensive too" and ended with a cat smiley face.
WTAF?

I can't say I'm psychologically invested with her children but if she'd posted "One of my sons is very poorly, he's in hospital and I fear we may lose him" would she have felt it appropriate if I'd replied with "Children are lovely but are very expensive too" ? Probably not, so it's lucky it would never cross my mind.
Some people have trouble recognising that you can have a real bond with an animal. They seem to think of them as like fluffy ornaments that make noises and poop. Is that maybe the case with this one?

Anyway, sorry to hear about your cat, mate. Hope the wee bugger is alright.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
WTAF?

people psychologically attach themselves to all kinds of things. but a cat will never equate to a human simply because it is humans that domesticated cats and not vice versa.

i have rescue cats and dogs. I don't compare them to humans. they are capable of love but only to a limit. but they'll never be psychologically able to mature to become psychologically mature like a human to help another of their species, let alone help another not of their own species, to the extent that a human helps its specie and others.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Is that maybe the case with this one?

I'm sure it is. I just don't understand the failure to appreciate others may feel different and respond accordingly.

(and thanks yes he seems ok, needs to be on long term meds; there's no cure it'll be a management thing)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
people psychologically attach themselves to all kinds of things. but a cat will never equate to a human simply because it is humans that domesticated cats and not vice versa.

i have rescue cats and dogs. I don't compare them to humans. they are capable of love but only to a limit. but they'll never be psychologically able to mature to become psychologically mature like a human to help another of their species, let alone help another not of their own species, to the extent that a human helps its specie and others.

Does a domesticated animal need to be "like us" in order for us to find value and love in the pets and from the pets we take care of? (How much do we put ourselves above nature and living beings before it becomes self-pride?)

I'm not fond of animals because I was almost attacked by a German Shepard when I was a kid. However, if I did have a pet, how would our differences invalidate the level of care and love I would have for him or her? (What's the reasoning behind your comment?)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
WTAF?

Friends like that i would unfriend...

Hope kitty lives long and prospers.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Does a domesticated animal need to be "like us" in order for us to find value and love in the pets and from the pets we take care of? (How much do we put ourselves above nature and living beings before it becomes self-pride?)

I'm not fond of animals because I was almost attacked by a German Shepard when I was a kid. However, if I did have a pet, how would our differences invalidate the level of care and love I would have for him or her? (What's the reasoning behind your comment?)

we're not above nature. we are nature. my nature is human. cats are the number one animal to go feral above any domesticated animal. they are killing machines and many conservationists see them as pest when let loose outdoors. we don't allow humans to behave that way and we still love them.

humans can become feral too but loving something, or someone doesn't put them on par with psychologically mature adults. case in point the anti-social people in prison.

so my point is equating a human to animal isn't fair. i don't treat my animals as humans. if someone comes to my house the dog has to use the floor and the person gets to sit in the chair. people who treat animals as humans have lost focus on what an animal is capable of and what a higher animal is capable of

i had a psychologist point out to me once that loving an animal is easier than loving a person that is psychologically more mature. you're pretty much the person controlling the animals boundaries. real love is about letting go and letting be.

you don't get to do that with humans. as they physically and psychologically mature, what you deem in there best interest isn't necessarily allowable. you don't get to determine where they live, what doctors they can/can't visit, who they can and can't be with, what they will and won't eat.

its not fair to compare the two

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
The only pets I've had were when I lived as a child and youth with the rest of my family (cats, fish, and a budgie), and I probably caused the death of the last we had (the budgie) by accident :oops:, but I do realise the attachments that many have to them and have no bad feelings towards any even though I was bitten by a Chow when aged about six. Even just seeing my neighbours two dogs about I can see how much they mean to him. Some probably are just less likely to bond with non-humans.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Equate? No, like apples don't equate to oranges.

actions speak louder than words. a cat or dog is never going to grow up to be self-sufficient, able to create and implement change for the good of many.

consider seeing a therapist

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
The only pets I've had were when I lived as a child and youth with the rest of my family (cats, fish, and a budgie), and I probably caused the death of the last we had (the budgie) by accident :oops:, but I do realise the attachments that many have to them and have no bad feelings towards any even though I was bitten by a Chow when aged about six. Even just seeing my neighbours two dogs about I can see how much they mean to him. Some probably are just less likely to bond with non-humans.
chows are not very social animals to other humans than their families. some breeds are not considered family friendly types animals. they were bred for a reason other than being the family cuddle buddies. chows aren't cuddle buddies. I had a coworker whose chow killed her grandson.

again, equating animals with human qualities invariably leads to expectations that can't be met

karelian bear dogs do not make good pets. they are bred to be fierce and aggressive

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
WTAF?

It is an unfortunate response, and I have found not everyone thinks of Pets in the same manner as Family. As if they (animals) don't have thoughts, feelings, and emotions as conscious beings themselves.

Glad your kitty made it through.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
because it is humans that domesticated cats and not vice versa.

Emm, a cat cannot be domesticated, they can choose to live in comfort in a nice human home but give them an opposable thumb and a tin opener and you won't see them for dust.

they'll never be psychologically able to mature to become psychologically mature like a human to help another of their species

Again emm. We feed 2 stray cats. One large male, one very small female who appears to have been the runt of the litter. There is no doubt that the male looks after the female.

let alone help another not of their own species

Our own cat has faced off a dog to protect a young bird that had fallen from a roof. She chased the dog away, returned to the fledgling and waited. A moment or few later the mother flew down, scurried the youngster behind some leaves until it had recovered. Only when they flew off together did our own cat leave her vigil.

Remember, cats were once treated as gods, they have never forgotten this

they are killing machines and many conservationists see them as pest when let loose outdoors

download (5).jpeg

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Sorry about to hear that. I am a huge animal lover who grew up with lots of animals as pets. I feel that was uncalled for that person to say that