• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

White supremacists 'swatted' my home to silence me. I will not be silent

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
This is what terrorists are doing to try to silence someone: death threats, swatting and more. I call them terrorists because they're using terror tactics to try to silence someone. She's very brave in standing up to them.

Author Ijeoma Oluo’s son was endangered when someone called police, pretending to be him, and said he murdered two people – and the harassment didn’t stop there

I started writing because every single day I was living a half-life. I started writing because I was tired of taking in every racist joke, every insult, every assumption. I was tired of hearing the locks on people’s cars click down as I walked past theirs in a grocery store parking lot. I was tired of worrying about my brother’s safety when he went on tour. I was tired of worrying that I might die at each traffic stop. I was tired of seeing black body after black body lying in the street like so much garbage after an encounter with police.

And I was so very tired of being silent through it all. Silence was not helping me. It was killing me.
These last years, since I started writing, I have been as free as I can imagine a black woman to be in this country. I have been able to speak openly, without reservation, about my lived experience and the experiences of my community. I have been able to look at white supremacy and call it what it is. I have not had to worry about losing my job; it is my job. I have not had to worry about losing friends (they left many essays ago). I have not had to bite my tongue in order to provide food for my family. I have not had to bend over backwards to prove that I am a “nice” Negro in order to not end up in HR for my “attitude problem”. I know that if I encounter violence because of my race, while I will not be avenged the way that white people would be, I will be heard and believed in a way in which few people of color are.

And the price I have had to pay for that is that I get fairly regular death threats, occasionally my personal address and the addresses of my family members are posted online, occasionally my financial information is posted. And then, of course, the swatting.

If I let this work go in order to avoid paying that price, every other price of existing as a black person in America still waits for me and my family. It does not go away. It does not make my sons more safe. It does not make me more safe.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
This is what terrorists are doing to try to silence someone: death threats, swatting and more. I call them terrorists because they're using terror tactics to try to silence someone. She's very brave in standing up to them.

Author Ijeoma Oluo’s son was endangered when someone called police, pretending to be him, and said he murdered two people – and the harassment didn’t stop there

I started writing because every single day I was living a half-life. I started writing because I was tired of taking in every racist joke, every insult, every assumption. I was tired of hearing the locks on people’s cars click down as I walked past theirs in a grocery store parking lot. I was tired of worrying about my brother’s safety when he went on tour. I was tired of worrying that I might die at each traffic stop. I was tired of seeing black body after black body lying in the street like so much garbage after an encounter with police.

And I was so very tired of being silent through it all. Silence was not helping me. It was killing me.
These last years, since I started writing, I have been as free as I can imagine a black woman to be in this country. I have been able to speak openly, without reservation, about my lived experience and the experiences of my community. I have been able to look at white supremacy and call it what it is. I have not had to worry about losing my job; it is my job. I have not had to worry about losing friends (they left many essays ago). I have not had to bite my tongue in order to provide food for my family. I have not had to bend over backwards to prove that I am a “nice” Negro in order to not end up in HR for my “attitude problem”. I know that if I encounter violence because of my race, while I will not be avenged the way that white people would be, I will be heard and believed in a way in which few people of color are.

And the price I have had to pay for that is that I get fairly regular death threats, occasionally my personal address and the addresses of my family members are posted online, occasionally my financial information is posted. And then, of course, the swatting.

If I let this work go in order to avoid paying that price, every other price of existing as a black person in America still waits for me and my family. It does not go away. It does not make my sons more safe. It does not make me more safe.

Swatting someone is common these days.

People will "swat" a YouTuber or Twitcher while the are live streaming just to get a chuckle and see it happen live in front of them. These kids these days have no idea the harm they are doing. Its shameful and needs to be put a stop to!

Stanyon

WWMRD?
This is what terrorists are doing to try to silence someone: death threats, swatting and more. I call them terrorists because they're using terror tactics to try to silence someone.

-This has been a standard tactic by some on the left for years.
- people are swatting each other over video games

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Since swatting is a tool available to all political persuasions,
we should recognize that police conduct is the underlying
problem here. They shouldn't be perceived as a weapon,
but rather a safe tool for domestic peace.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The so dubbed "far-right" learned this tactic from the left
Oh? From the FBI, back in 2008 it was done as a prank. Then it spread to gamers.

The New Phenomenon of Swatting

Why did they do it? Said Kevin Kolbye, Assistant Special Agent in Charge of our Dallas office: “Individuals did it for the bragging rights and ego, versus any monetary gain.” Basically, they did it because they could.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Are we making kindergarten arguments now?

"You're wrong!"

"Yeah, but you taught me to be wrong!"

Grow up RF.

It's common knowledge that some on the left has been doxxing and swatting anyone that disagrees with them for years and very telling when it's done to them they cry foul.