• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

White Supremacists and Nazis Found Liable

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Jury finds rally organizers liable for the violence that broke out in Charlottesville : NPR

A jury in Virginia has found a group of white nationalists who organized the deadly "Unite the Right" rally in Charlottesville liable of engaging in a conspiracy ahead of the violent demonstration, awarding the plaintiffs who brought the case more than $25 million in damages.

But after three days of deliberation, jurors could not reach a verdict on two federal conspiracy charges over whether organizers conspired to commit racially motivated violence or whether they had knowledge of it and failed to prevent it. Both felonies fall under a federal civil statute known as the KKK Act.

Richard Spencer, Jason Kessler and Christopher Cantwell and other white supremacists and neo-Nazis, were order to pay the nine plaintiffs in the civil trial millions in compensatory and punitive damages for physical and emotional injuries.

The plaintiffs — all residents or former residents of Charlottesville — sued a group of two dozen white nationalist activists and organizations in federal court. They alleged that the organizers and participants of the rally conspired to commit violence and interfered with their 13th Amendment right to be free from racially-motivated violence.​

Good! Hopefully this will have a similar effect that a civil suit against the Aryan Nation did in Idaho (it essentially bankrupted and ended the group).

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Jury finds rally organizers liable for the violence that broke out in Charlottesville : NPR

A jury in Virginia has found a group of white nationalists who organized the deadly "Unite the Right" rally in Charlottesville liable of engaging in a conspiracy ahead of the violent demonstration, awarding the plaintiffs who brought the case more than $25 million in damages.

But after three days of deliberation, jurors could not reach a verdict on two federal conspiracy charges over whether organizers conspired to commit racially motivated violence or whether they had knowledge of it and failed to prevent it. Both felonies fall under a federal civil statute known as the KKK Act.

Richard Spencer, Jason Kessler and Christopher Cantwell and other white supremacists and neo-Nazis, were order to pay the nine plaintiffs in the civil trial millions in compensatory and punitive damages for physical and emotional injuries.

The plaintiffs — all residents or former residents of Charlottesville — sued a group of two dozen white nationalist activists and organizations in federal court. They alleged that the organizers and participants of the rally conspired to commit violence and interfered with their 13th Amendment right to be free from racially-motivated violence.​

Good! Hopefully this will have a similar effect that a civil suit against the Aryan Nation did in Idaho (it essentially bankrupted and ended the group).

Good but what does the 13th amendment have to to with racially motivated violence.
Shouldn't we have a general freedom from any violence?

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Good but what does the 13th amendment have to to with racially motivated violence.
Shouldn't we have a general freedom from any violence?
The Klu Klux Clan Act of 1871 was passed as a means to enforce the 13th Amendment. Here's a brief explanation...

"The civil lawsuit Sines v. Kessler was developed by a nonprofit organization, Integrity First for America. It alleges that the 14 individuals and 10 organizations that orchestrated the rallies conspired to engage in violence against racial minorities and their allies in violation of the little-known, and rarely used, Ku Klux Klan Act of 1871. As the lawsuit alleges, “the violence in Charlottesville was no accident.”

The KKK Act, prompted by lynchings and violent vigilante attacks against African Americans and their supporters during Reconstruction, was signed by President Ulysses S. Grant. It was designed to enforce the 13th and 14th Amendments, which abolished slavery and guaranteed equal rights. The Act provides a civil claim for damages to anyone injured as a result of two or more persons conspiring to deprive “either directly or indirectly, any person or class of persons of the equal protection of the laws” or “equal privileges and immunities under the law.”​

Charlottesville Three Years Later: The First Amendment Confronts Hate and Violence (lareviewofbooks.org)

Lain

I'd expect that it'll have this effect, although sadly I do not see white supremacy receding in this nation at least in my lifetime. One day maybe, step by step.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Why so? People usually want those who agree with them to win and are upset when they don't.
I don't understand the post.
But to clarify....Civil suits against Antifa & BLM could
be encouraged by this decision. Not saying this is
either good or bad....I don't know how it will play out.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
I'd expect that it'll have this effect, although sadly I do not see white supremacy receding in this nation at least in my lifetime. One day maybe, step by step.
I think proportionately, it's going to stay about the same or grow slightly for a while, but the supremacists will also become louder and more violent. Their problem is, whenever they enter the spotlight and say out loud what they truly believe (as happened in this trial), they disgust and turn away far more people than they attract.

I don't see enough Americans joining their ranks to make them a national force. Their recent rise in notoriety IMO is a product of the same phenomenon that gave us President Trump.....white conservative backlash against an increasingly diverse and tolerant culture. Hopefully, that diversity and tolerance eventually becomes the accepted norm and the backlash subsides.

F1fan

Veteran Member
I think proportionately, it's going to stay about the same or grow slightly for a while, but the supremacists will also become louder and more violent. Their problem is, whenever they enter the spotlight and say out loud what they truly believe (as happened in this trial), they disgust and turn away far more people than they attract.

I don't see enough Americans joining their ranks to make them a national force. Their recent rise in notoriety IMO is a product of the same phenomenon that gave us President Trump.....white conservative backlash against an increasingly diverse and tolerant culture. Hopefully, that diversity and tolerance eventually becomes the accepted norm and the backlash subsides.
It's apparent that trump gave them confidence to crawl out of the woodwork, and they did make a huge impact on politics. The thing is, as you noted, most don't agree with bigotry, at least not outwardly, and that's because most everyone understands they need trust in society, even if it isn't genuine.

tytlyf

Not Religious
The Nazi's also convinced the German people they were the 'good guys' and doing great things for Germany.
These "Patriots" are the new Brown Shirts

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Usually it's trading one set of hate for another.

Nothing intrinsically changes, just causes and faces.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
I don't understand the post.
But to clarify....Civil suits against Antifa & BLM could
be encouraged by this decision. Not saying this is
either good or bad....I don't know how it will play out.
Because Antifa and BLM are against equal protection and equal rights?
What a nonsense claim!

F1fan

Veteran Member
Because Antifa and BLM are against equal protection and equal rights?
What a nonsense claim!
Antifa has no leadership or organization, just volunteers. So any lawsuit would have to identify certain people and sue them specifically.

And BLM was always promoting peaceful protests, and any lawsuit that accuses them of organizing violence and damage would be a long shot.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
It's apparent that trump gave them confidence to crawl out of the woodwork, and they did make a huge impact on politics.
Yup. I've thought for a while now that one of the main things Trump did was unite white evangelicals with the Alex Jones and "alt-right" crowd. Sure, there was some overlap among those groups before, but Trump brought them all together under a singular cause (himself, mostly).

The thing is, as you noted, most don't agree with bigotry, at least not outwardly, and that's because most everyone understands they need trust in society, even if it isn't genuine.
That's what gives me hope. I think most people are better than that.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Antifa has no leadership or organization, just volunteers. So any lawsuit would have to identify certain people and sue them specifically.

And BLM was always promoting peaceful protests, and any lawsuit that accuses them of organizing violence and damage would be a long shot.
And yet, to certain Americans, they are the leftist equivalent to the KKK, or Neonazi thugs like the Proud Boys.

This should give us something to think about regarding the US political spectrum.