• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

White Neighbors Try to Drive Out Black Ranchers by Slaying Their Livestock

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Every day I see at least one story about out-and-out racism. I'm past tired of some whining while ignoring stories like this one (and the many others that I see all the time)

Courtney W. Mallery and his wife Nicole own the Freedom Acres Ranch, a 1,000-acre plot of land with a range of goats, pigs, chickens and every good thing a farm should have. Then, in 2020, they began waking up to beheaded, butchered and missing animals. Graphic images shared with Ark Republic showed baby goats that were allegedly poisoned and a cow with its insides spilling on the ground.
Frequently, they must replace surveillance equipment after they see strangers pointing a device towards their cameras which ends up jamming them and taking out the signal. Plus, their electricity lines have been cut and neighbors have stolen well water by running an illegal line from their source.

One day, Courtney was chased by a white man when repairing a portion of his fence. The aggressor, who was in a car, gunned for Courtney who made it to his vehicle in just enough time to dash away in a hellish pursuit. Once he made it to the end of his property, the man steered the other way.

One evening, Nicole was followed by a white woman who almost ran her car off the road then put on high beams and pulled out what looked like a gun. The confrontation was exceptionally unnerving because Nicole was returning from a church function with her visiting nieces and nephew.

Mr. Mallery told Ark Republic this is all a ploy to take his land, which El Paso County Sheriff Emory Gerhart allegedly condoned...

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Every day I see at least one story about out-and-out racism. I'm past tired of some whining while ignoring stories like this one (and the many others that I see all the time)

Courtney W. Mallery and his wife Nicole own the Freedom Acres Ranch, a 1,000-acre plot of land with a range of goats, pigs, chickens and every good thing a farm should have. Then, in 2020, they began waking up to beheaded, butchered and missing animals. Graphic images shared with Ark Republic showed baby goats that were allegedly poisoned and a cow with its insides spilling on the ground.
Frequently, they must replace surveillance equipment after they see strangers pointing a device towards their cameras which ends up jamming them and taking out the signal. Plus, their electricity lines have been cut and neighbors have stolen well water by running an illegal line from their source.

One day, Courtney was chased by a white man when repairing a portion of his fence. The aggressor, who was in a car, gunned for Courtney who made it to his vehicle in just enough time to dash away in a hellish pursuit. Once he made it to the end of his property, the man steered the other way.

One evening, Nicole was followed by a white woman who almost ran her car off the road then put on high beams and pulled out what looked like a gun. The confrontation was exceptionally unnerving because Nicole was returning from a church function with her visiting nieces and nephew.

Mr. Mallery told Ark Republic this is all a ploy to take his land, which El Paso County Sheriff Emory Gerhart allegedly condoned...

The article said that the Mallerys were arrested.

The Mallerys say he’d been notified of the events happening at the ranch but hadn’t made a single police report. After two years and 19 complaints, six restraining orders and 170 calls, the sheriff threatened to arrest the couple if they dialed 911 again, Nicole said.

Unfortunately, he kept his promise.

On Monday, the Mallerys were arrested on felony warrants for stalking. Despite their extensive allegations, the one harassment complaint filed against the Mallerys seemed to be the only one that stuck, per 9News. Now, the NAACP is stepping in.

“I would really hope that the El Paso County Sheriff’s department and several others in rural areas understand that we’re taking this very seriously,” said Portia Prescott, president of the Rocky Mountain NAACP via 9News. “It needs to be taken a lot more seriously than they have taken it in the past,” Prescott said.

I don't understand this, since El Paso County Colorado has Colorado Springs as its county seat, and it's where the Air Force Academy and NORAD Headquarters are located. It's the western part of the state which is where Lauren Boebert's district is located, but Denver and a few other areas around there are pretty liberal. They don't have to just depend on the county sheriff, as they could appeal to the state or federal government for help.

For what it's worth, I found this press release from the Sheriff's Department of El Paso County CO: Sheriff's Office Addresses On-line Article | El Paso County Sheriff (epcsheriffsoffice.com)

February 2, 2023
Sheriff Joseph Roybal and the nearly 1,000 dedicated sworn and professional staff of the El Paso County Sheriff’s Office remain committed to fostering safety for our community and our neighbors while ensuring Constitutional and civil rights are upheld regardless race, color, national origin, or any other legally protected characteristic. The El Paso County Sheriff’s Office takes all allegations of crime and civil rights violations seriously.

The El Paso County Sheriff’s Office has become aware of an on-line article (Get out. Black Colorado ranchers face domestic terrorism by local whites who they say are trying to steal their land) alleging racial discrimination on the part of our Office and some of its employees. The El Paso County Sheriff’s Office vehemently denies these allegations.

The El Paso County Sheriff’s Office feels the need to comment further because the article’s author did not seek comment from the El Paso County Sheriff’s Office before publishing it and the article has garnered attention from within and outside of our community at a time when relationships between some law enforcement agencies and the communities which they serve are strained.

Within the last two years and through the end of January 2023, the El Paso County Sheriff’s has investigated 19 different complaints filed by and/or involving the individuals identified in the article against members of the Sheriff’s Office. Each of these complaints were individually and thoroughly investigated. The El Paso County Sheriff’s Office has also responded to over 170 calls for service that involve the individuals identified in the article (accurate as of February 2, 2023).

The El Paso County Sheriff’s Office will provide the public with the legally releasable documents and records related to these complaints and calls for service, including body worn camera video, upon request through the records request process. The El Paso County Sheriff’s Office believes that this information will prove that it and its employees acted in an appropriate and professional manner in all of their interactions with the individuals who are the subject of the article.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Just interested...why do you present it as 'out-and-out racism'?

Despite the headline and wording of the article clearly calling out the skin colour of the participants, it also suggests this is 'possibly racially motivated'.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

Despite the headline and wording of the article clearly calling out the skin colour of the participants, it also suggests this is 'possibly racially motivated'.
Because, unfortunately, this is America and it is a very safe assumption racism is the motivation. If you're playing poker shoving all in on that hand is the correct play.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

It's possibly that. I wouldn't rule it out, though the Sheriff's Department press release seems to tell a different story, so there may be more to this. Hard to say without more information. I think that it's at least worthy of someone at a federal level having a look-see at this. If only to confirm that it's not racially-motivated, if it's not.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Also, the original article refers to "El Paso County Sheriff Emory Gerhart," although apparently he's no longer sheriff.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Because, unfortunately, this is America and it is a very safe assumption racism is the motivation. If you're playing poker shoving all in on that hand is the correct play.

I get what you're saying, honestly I do.
But it's a dangerous assumption to my mind.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
It's possibly that. I wouldn't rule it out, though the Sheriff's Department press release seems to tell a different story, so there may be more to this. Hard to say without more information. I think that it's at least worthy of someone at a federal level having a look-see at this. If only to confirm that it's not racially-motivated, if it's not.

Yep. Definitely possible, etc. But I found the combination of how the headline and article were written, alongside the articles assessment that racial motivation was 'a possibility' as extremely distasteful.

Viker

Häxan
It's not an unreasonable one to ours. It looks racially motivated. But everyone is entitled to a fair hearing. An investigation could get to the bottom of it. But it is safe to assume racism at this point. An assumption is not a conclusion or a conviction.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Under normal circumstances yes. But racists have been emboldened, hate attacks are up, and it's how they operate. It's like that electric substation that was shot up in North Carolina. No evidence or indications yet, last I read, but it's still being assumed it was a RW attack because targeting infrastructure is their planned way of conducting war to destabilize the US.
Yeah, it could be something else but I'm shoving all in.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
It is a pathetic sight when certain people’s default position is to blame racism on anything and everything.

amorphous_constellation

I don't understand this, since El Paso County Colorado has Colorado Springs as its county seat, and it's where the Air Force Academy and NORAD Headquarters are located. It's the western part of the state which is where Lauren Boebert's district is located, but Denver and a few other areas around there are pretty liberal. They don't have to just depend on the county sheriff, as they could appeal to the state or federal government for help.

I've lived on a farm before, and it was 20 miles from any government authority. Farms are usually isolated, and they can be dark at night, with no neighbors near. Well, the story was terrible to read, I hope they get left alone in the future.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It is a pathetic sight when certain people’s default position is to blame racism on anything and everything.
True. Race seems to be the catch all go to phrase in the modern day.

This story reminds me of the classic cattlemen vs sheep herder feuds.

Twilight Hue

It's not an unreasonable one to ours. It looks racially motivated. But everyone is entitled to a fair hearing. An investigation could get to the bottom of it. But it is safe to assume racism at this point. An assumption is not a conclusion or a conviction.
To me. Racism typically involves symbolism for intimidation. Typically a swastika or burning cross to send its message.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
To me. Racism typically involves symbolism for intimidation. Typically a swastika or burning cross to send its message.
It's always the case that if something bad
is done by someone white to someone black,
it's racism. It's the lens thru which we see
all things these days.
I've no familiarity with the OP's situation.
But my eyes roll at the automatic presumptions.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

OK, well where do we see that any of this was racially motivated? Quite possibly it's bad blood between people each with their own side of the story.

Jumping to 'racism' is what many of us are critical of.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
:rolleyes:
I've seen lots of examples of racism that involve no symbols. Like that time I was told to be careful when I once went to Detroit because "they have black people." Or this part of town where I lived in Indiana, I was often warned of all the violence and crime that would fall upon for me going to the black part of the town, but the worst that happened is the Soul Food restaurant raising my cholesterol and clogging my arteries a bit.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It's always the case that if something bad
is done by someone white to someone black,
it's racism. It's the lens thru which we see
all things these days.
I've no familiarity with the OP's situation.
But my eyes roll at the automatic presumptions.
No one has put together an alternative.

Twilight Hue

:rolleyes:
I've seen lots of examples of racism that involve no symbols. Like that time I was told to be careful when I once went to Detroit because "they have black people." Or this part of town where I lived in Indiana, I was often warned of all the violence and crime that would fall upon for me going to the black part of the town, but the worst that happened is the Soul Food restaurant raising my cholesterol and clogging my arteries a bit.
Well it's possible it's racially motivated. It's just very rare i think for people of racist intent to not leave something that signifies their hatred for people of color.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Well it's possible it's racially motivated. It's just very rare i think for people of racist intent to not leave something that signifies their hatred for people of color.
It's not very common they do. Most of it's nothing more than words, taunts and threats.