1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

White Magic

Discussion in 'Interfaith Discussion' started by Salty Booger, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Salty Booger

Salty Booger Royal Crown Cola (RC)

Ratings:
    +1,020
    Religion:
    No Preference
    "White magic has traditionally referred to the use of supernatural powers or magic for selfless purposes. Practitioners of white magic have been given titles such as wise men or women, healers, white witches or wizards". Wikipedia

It is an interesting idea, but how can you be certain your efforts won't backfire?

pexels-anastasia-shuraeva-6015085.jpg
    Photo by Anastasia Shuraeva from Pexels

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. JustGeorge

JustGeorge Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,678
    Religion:
    Hindu
    Not sure you can.

Though that goes for any action, really.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Salty Booger

Salty Booger Royal Crown Cola (RC)

Ratings:
    +1,020
    Religion:
    No Preference
    I am assuming that if you are invoking magic, your goal is set pretty high. Not quite the same as breaking the speed limit.:)

4. JustGeorge

JustGeorge Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,678
    Religion:
    Hindu
    Not necessarily.

Within the Wiccan movement, one is often encouraged to practice their magical skills in any way they can. Sometimes it can be for big things, but more often you find spells for the mundane.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. SalixIncendium

SalixIncendium Ānanda
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +16,829
    Religion:
    Advaita Vedanta
    Backfire how?

Any action, "magic" or mundane, can be labeled "white" or "black." What colors the action is the doer's intent. All action, regardless of how it is labeled, is subject to the same causality, whether it's "magic" or mundane.

#5 SalixIncendium, Dec 5, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Sirona

Sirona Hindu Wannabe

Ratings:
    +692
    Religion:
    Hinduism
    I had a "Wiccan phase" in which I learned about all things concerning Wicca and magic. One thing I learned is that celebrating the Eucharist, at least with the Catholics, is a socially accepted and socially promoted form of magic, as the priest summons the spirit of God and then calls it to enter bread and wine. I'd call it white magic as it is done to promote a selfless, compassionate attitude among the believers. This "power" is also transmitted magically, as future priests have to undergo several ordinations (I think it's 7) to get from one "level" to the next higher one, which they only can receive from a bishop/priest who has already received said next higher level.

As for magic in general, the point of it is psychodrama, and I think that psychodrama is always active, regardless of whether magic is derided by a rational attitude. That's why you're discouraged from summoning dark entities, as this may open the gate to something dark inside your psyche that (in the worst case) you cannot control. So, the practice of magic can indeed backfire. I read in one book that "in every moment of your ritual, you should know what you're doing", meaning you shouldn't let the "powers" control you but remain in control yourself.

If one doesn't believe in magic, I think another aspect is becoming aware of what you actually want. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. Moreover, most of what I read was addressed to women and it was pretty mundane, about how to attract/keep a lover, how to gain money, how to make friends, how to stay in good health. I also read some occult stuff, but I mostly avoided it for the reason given above. It's also the reason why in the end, Wicca didn't really work out for me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Saint Frankenstein

Saint Frankenstein Ov Fire and the Void
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +17,302
    Religion:
    Germanic Heathenry / Satanism
    I don't believe in magic, at least not the Wiccan/ceremonial magick silliness. I find the people LARPing as witches and sorcerers to be hilarious and embarrassing.

8. SalixIncendium

SalixIncendium Ānanda

Ratings:
    +16,829
    Religion:
    Advaita Vedanta
    But your brand of magic and ritual is okay?

9. Saint Frankenstein

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +17,302
    Religion:
    I don't practice magic, and I'm allowed to have an opinion. I haven't done a ritual in years. I may set up an altar, but it's not a necessity.

10. SalixIncendium

SalixIncendium Ānanda

Ratings:
    +16,829
    Religion:
    Advaita Vedanta
    How are you defining magic?

Do you practice ritual?

11. Saint Frankenstein

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +17,302
    Religion:
    I added to the post.

12. SalixIncendium

SalixIncendium Ānanda

Ratings:
    +16,829
    Religion:
    Advaita Vedanta
    I see. I still don't see a response to, "How are you defining magic?"

Sure you're allowed to have an opinion, but some opinions are best kept to oneself.

I'm trying to understand how you feel it's acceptable to belittle or diminish another's belief or practice while having a belief/practice of your own.

Why do you set up an altar?

13. Saint Frankenstein

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +17,302
    Religion:
    I'm not going into my spiritual practices. I think I already gave my idea of what sort of magic I'm referring to. It's not just Wiccans, but also LHPers, Heathens and so on who treat it as some sort of LARP, complete with silly names like Fay Firedragon or whatever, instead of a serious spiritual practice. It just always seemed silly to me, ever since I was a teen.

14. SalixIncendium

SalixIncendium Ānanda

Ratings:
    +16,829
    Religion:
    Advaita Vedanta
    So you’re not referring to traditionalist Wiccans such as Gardnerian or Alexandrian, but McWiccans. Fair enough.

Thanks for clarifying. As one who had a brief stay with Wicca on the path to where I am today, you’ll understand why I took exception to your initial post ITT.

15. Fool

Fool ALL in all
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,180
    Religion:
    Light Impressed with Love
    There is the Great White Brotherhood and the sons of Belial, basically sheep and goats.

a simpler way of understanding, all energy flows in one of two directions; they are service to all as self, or service to self alone. the service to self can only exist to a certain point and then fails to evolve along the path. only the service to all as self will complete and find the WAY.

so then the service to All as self is the Great White Brotherhood and uses white magic. The service to self practices the dark art

16. dybmh

dybmh Terminal Optimist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,362
    Religion:
    Judaism
    It takes talent. It's not about creating anything new. That's where a backfire can occur. The idea is to remove barriers interfering with the flow of divine benevolence to the target. A talented practioner can both discern benevolent from malevolent flows of energy as well as identifing paths for facilitating one without encouraging the other.

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. SigurdReginson

SigurdReginson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,144
    Religion:
    None
    I find magic fascinating, but ultimately I am more of a naturalist.

I do wonder if there is something psychologically relevant to Spare's sigil magic, though...

• Like Like x 1
  18. The Hammer

The Hammer Virtue, Piety, Study
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,236
    Religion:
    Druidry
    Every action has unintended consequences. The best we can do as a species is do a risk assessment and determine whether the benefit is worth the cost/risk.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  19. PearlSeeker

PearlSeeker Active Member

Ratings:
    +324
    Religion:
    Christian
    I think clear intentions is crucial.

Some see Catholic prayers and rituals as white magic but Catholics don't see it as such. There are some characteristics. The allies are God's Spirit, Jesus, angels, saints. And this is important: "Thy will be done."

There seems to be little accessible information on white magic but there is a lot on black magic.

If someone is on a path to union with God, magic and occult powers can be an obstacle. There is a danger of vanity, self-assertion, attachment...