• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

White Ink Tattoos

Circle_One

I think it can be gorgeous, as well. But I don't think it's something I would get done on myself, at least right now :D
I've only ever had seven piercings, and no tats yet. I'm taking my time with it. I'm probably going to get a few more piercings, then a small tattoo, then a larger piece (or two...or three..lol). We'll see :D I want to have enough saved up so that whatever I decide on, I can afford to make sure it gets done really well.
So far the two tat parlors I've found in the Dallas area that have fairly good reviews are Gizmos Tattoo and Ace in the Hole Studios. I still haven't had a chance to go look at their portfolios, though.

I've actually heard of Ace in the Hole, if that gives you any frame of reference.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I would appreciate that, if it isn't too much trouble :D
No trouble. Here's what he had to say:

I think it’s held up pretty well, but I have been careful about using sunscreen and in the early years I rarely exposed the tattoo to direct sunlight (easy since it’s on my upper arm, mostly hidden by short sleeves). I guess it may have faded slightly, but it never took as well as the other colours to begin with. So while my natural complexion is pale, those areas are slightly paler still.
Not having any other experience, my only suggestion is that it will depend in part on both her complexion and how well she takes care of the tattoo.

And speaking of tattoos, you should watch this clip: YouTube - Bon Cop Bad Cop -- Tattoo
Off topic: Bon Cop Bad Cop is such a good movie.

Stellify

StarChild
White ink tattoos are neat but... they would fade very easily and could be very hard to see in general. You know what tattoos I have always loved though? Red ones... like red tribals... The singer of Incubus gave me that idea because of his arm tattoos. One is black and the other is red.

Mmm...I love the idea of a dark, dark red tat. It's another idea I've been toying with.

I've actually heard of Ace in the Hole, if that gives you any frame of reference.

Really? The one here in Dallas? Wow..Maybe that's where I should go, then ;)
I think one of the artists there did a tat for James Hetfield.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I forgot to mention, the tattoo artist I mentioned will not do white ink on people who are too pale, because then it will barely show once it healed up. He'll do them if the person really wants it, but he will try to talk them out of it.

Stellify

StarChild
I forgot to mention, the tattoo artist I mentioned will not do white ink on people who are too pale, because then it will barely show once it healed up. He'll do them if the person really wants it, but he will try to talk them out of it.

That seems consistent with what I've seen and heard so far when it comes to white ink tats.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Hey, Circle_One or anyone else who knows: say you've got fairly pale skin (like me ;) ) and want a design that isn't all white, but has a bit of white in it (a small white rose on a red background that's part of a larger design, for discussion's sake ;) ). What do they do? Just leave that space blank and let your skin tone be the "white"?

blackout

Violet.
Yeah. You can imagine I would have all kinds of UV tatts myself if it weren't for all the questionable issues surrounding it.

An artist at the main tattoo parlour around here said he would only do it if I provided my own UV ink...
and that he did not recommend it... and would not be held responsible in any way for the ink.
That pretty much scared me right out of it.

If I knew it were safe... I'd do it in a minute. *sigh* oh well.

~UV~

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Hey, Circle_One or anyone else who knows: say you've got fairly pale skin (like me
wink.gif
) and want a design that isn't all white, but has a bit of white in it (a small white rose on a red background that's part of a larger design, for discussion's sake
wink.gif
). What do they do? Just leave that space blank and let your skin tone be the "white"?
I think I remember one artist saying it might turn out looking like your own skin color rather than white ink. I imagine it would be like trying to use a white crayon on a white or pale colored paper.

Circle_One

Hey, Circle_One or anyone else who knows: say you've got fairly pale skin (like me ;) ) and want a design that isn't all white, but has a bit of white in it (a small white rose on a red background that's part of a larger design, for discussion's sake ;) ). What do they do? Just leave that space blank and let your skin tone be the "white"?

I've got a couple of tattoos that are supposed to have white in them (like my Jack Skellington) and since I have naturally very pale skin, they just left his white parts as my actual skin, and it looks ******, if I do say so myself :D

Circle_One

Yeah. You can imagine I would have all kinds of UV tatts myself if it weren't for all the questionable issues surrounding it.

An artist at the main tattoo parlour around here said he would only do it if I provided my own UV ink...
and that he did not recommend it... and would not be held responsible in any way for the ink.
That pretty much scared me right out of it.

If I knew it were safe... I'd do it in a minute. *sigh* oh well.

~UV~

To be perfectly honest, I don't think glow in the dark and UV ink will EVER be FDA approved. They've been talking about it for ten years now and it's still not approved.

Circle_One

oh and Stellify, yes the one in Dallas. If I'm not mistaken, they have taken part in the tattoo convention we have in Montreal every year.