1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

White House installs political aides at Cabinet agencies to be Trump’s eyes and ears

Discussion in 'North American Politics' started by sunrise123, Mar 20, 2017 at 12:03 PM.

1. sunrise123

sunrise123 Darkness will pass. Dawn is almost here.

Ratings:
    +3,076
    Religion:
    Love
    The current regime is adopting the methods communism - installing a political kommissar to ensure that the government follows the party line. Kim Jong Un must be thrilled that we're adopting his governing technique.

White House installs political aides at Cabinet agencies to be Trump’s eyes and ears

At the Pentagon, they’re privately calling the former Marine officer and fighter pilot who’s supposed to keep his eye on Defense Secretary Jim Mattis “the commissar,” according to a high-ranking defense official with knowledge of the situation. It’s a reference to Soviet-era Communist Party officials who were assigned to military units to ensure their commanders remained loyal.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Quetzal

Quetzal May be an alien...
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,737
    From the article:
    Isn't this standard practice?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Revoltingest

Revoltingest Ignorant Atheist Capitalist Engineer Libertarian
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +19,841
    Religion:
    Vantology
    The smart capitalist should steal good ideas wherever they're found.
    So should the smart communist.

4. Quetzal

Quetzal May be an alien...
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,737
    This just seems to be a messaging procedure to make sure the message is the same across the board. I don't see foul play here.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kemosloby

Kemosloby Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +497
    Religion:
    Christian
    It just makes sense, even democratically elected officials need to deal with the realities of the world.

• Like Like x 1
  6. sunrise123

sunrise123 Darkness will pass. Dawn is almost here.

Ratings:
    +3,076
    Religion:
    Love
    It's amazing to me how many have renounced the basic ideals of the USA instead adopting the methods of dictators.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Revoltingest

Revoltingest Ignorant Atheist Capitalist Engineer Libertarian
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +19,841
    Religion:
    Vantology
    Do you think this particular method is dictatorial?

8. Stevicus

Stevicus Active Member

Ratings:
    +224
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    It doesn't surprise me, although it seems a bit redundant considering that each of the Cabinet heads are political appointees of the President anyway. Maybe he can't even trust his own appointees and needs to keep them on their toes.

I suppose a good way to avoid this kind of thing - and add some more checks and balances - is to have each Cabinet post as an elected position, not appointed by the President or confirmed by the Senate. Just have them directly elected by the people. After all, in state and local governments, we might elect the Attorney General, the State Treasurer, Corporation Commission, Mine Inspector and other such offices separately. Some states have the Lieutenant Governor elected separately, not as a package deal as with President and Vice-President.

9. metis

metis aged ecumenical anthropologist

Ratings:
    +5,485
    Especially when put in the context of what else he's been doing and advocating, and my guess is that we're going to see a lot more of this with Trump & Co. From what I can tell at this point, I do believe he's trying to run the country like it is his own company.

BTW, it's going to be interesting how he tweets and treats Comey after today's hearings.