• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

White Female privilege-The case of Hypervigilantism

Shad

Veteran Member
I was solely addressing the OP's analytical methods.
Does the FBI even have statistics on white women's
racist fear of black men? Doesn't seem they would.

FBI stats list crime along with demographic of the perpetrator and victim. They do not have a fear index but one could just use the same methods being used by the OP for correlations

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Considering the thread one could established that based merely on perpetrator and victim. Unconscious blah something ism
But a few anecdotes out of millions of interactions is just bias confirmation.
If I were to carefully cull such anecdotes, I could use that rationale to prove....
- Black men are dangerous racists.
- White men are saintly.
- Black women are mathematicians.
- Asian women are quite tall.
- Scotsmen are fops.

Shad

Veteran Member
If I were to carefully cull such anecdotes, I could use that rationale to prove....
- White men are saintly.
- Scotsmen are fops.

I am disappointed there no Canada stat to be made /smh

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Mrs Revolt is asian....the model minority....just don't ever cross
them. While they all know kung fu, at least the 5 step exploding heart technique would a quick & painless death.
Just ask @Wu Wei.

Excellent. One more question..... is Mrs Revolt a Hindu or a Muslim? Or possibly a Buddhist? Or a Sikh (Punjab)?

Mrs Badger is an agnostic. She's not interested in religion at all. She grew up in Gravesend in a tough district called Northfleet. Gravesend is the 1st or 2nd largest Sikh community in Britain and has a very large Sikh temple there which can probably be googled since it could be the largest in Europe.

I only take Mrs Badger to Gravesend once a year now, it's the longest journey we undertake in a year at 30 whole miles distance.

And so we have an insular existence with our pets....... never been so happy. The OP makes me feel sad.......... for the OP.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
- White men are saintly.
- Scotsmen are fops.
Scotsmen are whuskey swilling wimps in skirts with no nickers.

True........... I heard somebody saying something about that.... once..... somewhere.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Excellent. One more question..... is Mrs Revolt a Hindu or a Muslim? Or possibly a Buddhist? Or a Sikh (Punjab)?
Her family on her father's side is Muslim.
(A tip off is a 2 syllable family name.)
Her mother's side....perhaps Christian.
Mrs Revolt is agnostic, with no interest in religion whatsoever.
Mrs Badger is an agnostic. She's not interested in religion at all. She grew up in Gravesend in a tough district called Northfleet. Gravesend is the 1st or 2nd largest Sikh community in Britain and has a very large Sikh temple there which can probably be googled since it could be the largest in Europe.

I only take Mrs Badger to Gravesend once a year now, it's the longest journey we undertake in a year at 30 whole miles distance.

And so we have an insular existence with our pets....... never been so happy. The OP makes me feel sad.......... for the OP.
I've worked with several Sikh engineers.
Good experiences.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
[
Maybe you missed where I specifically challenged your focus on scenarios where race was not an apparent factor. You seem to have in your mind "most white people have racial bias, therefore if a white person does x, it is safe to assume that they did it because of that racial bias. This is bigotry.

I was clearly showing you instances where race has been a factor. You claim that there are individual instances where race may play a factor, and as I was saying which is historically as well as anecdotally have been proven, race in the experiences of various members of minority communities concerning law enforcement, race has been a factor.

You seem to have in your mind "most white people have racial bias, therefore if a white person does x, it is safe to assume that they did it because of that racial bias. This is bigotry.

Wrong. I think most if not all people have some sort of cultural bias. I know I do. I've experienced racism from whites both in my adolescent as well as my mature adult life so like many other black academic professionals we tend to modify our behavior and adapt to these encounters. I think the frustrating thing by me repeating myself to you in this case is that when I'm referring to implicit racial biases of this sort, how these biases manifest themselves I made the mention awhile back that it is done so on the subconscious level. I have had enough sit down experiences with whites in my life where especially when alcohol is involved that 9 times out of ten a purely benign discussion tends to shift towards race. It is my experience that there are Caucasians that are preoccupied with race as much if not more than any other ethnic group, but of course there are outliers. As far as every single encounter a white person has a with an African-American and it having a negative outcome of course I cannot prove every single instance it was purely racial, it would be foolish of me. The fact is plain and simple this country the United States was built on a foundation of racism and European centrist ideals and it is taking generations for us to do away with these definitions and standards for a more progressive approach.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Some of us men like to get molested by women, ya know. :D

And now I learn a little more about you. Or are you just saying that your beautiful wife is not a dangerous racist but is white?

It is sad that some folks are so prejudiced that their extremism blinds them to more balanced reasoning.

What does this even remotely mean? I mean if you don't have nothing logical and intelligible to add why even involve yourself in this discussion?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Of course racism is sometimes an issue, if you can't tell that it is most likely to be racism, why should you assume it?

In theory, do you think it would be problematic to overstate the degree of racial prejudice that exists?

Racism is never "sometimes an issue," racism is always an issue. Whenever you have a system where it advantages one ethnic group over another it creates a system of inequity, counter to the principles of the constitution. When bringing up issues of racism it is not "overstating" the issues of racism in the United States. Frankly, those who have no interest in discussing racism and solutions to rid our country (and world) of it, use phrases like that. We need to just call out the elephant in the room. Caucasians need to accept that their forefathers have created a system since the 1600's where they (their forefathers) designed a system where it created advantages for whites and disadvantages for non-whites, and even today we still feel the residual effects of that system despite the progressive changes in our country. When Caucasians as a whole understand how such a system can generate resentment among the people who have lived in such a disadvantaged system for centuries then we can begin the discussion.

I asked a simple question, followed by a basic statement regarding the population dynamics of US society and you respond with self-righteous insults about how everyone is a biased, compassionless idiot except you?

Those are your words, not mine. Clearly ages ago in this thread after supplying articles and evidence for implicit racial bias, I also added that the experiences of African-American encounters with Caucasians who are hyper-vigilant in their encounters with people are color is something that is commonly known and talked about among people of color, this is why phrases like "shopping while black" or "driving while black" are popular. All I'm saying is get to know OUR story before you make inferences of what you think is true. You cannot define my experiences as right or wrong based on your own perspective. This is not being self-righteous it is called "putting you in check of your prejudices."

Your approach is that unless everyone bows to your wisdom and accepts you are 100% right about everything then they are suffering from myriad personal failings that must be assumed to drive their every move. It would be nice to discuss the issue in a reasonable manner.

No. Every person of color has a story. You made an earlier attempt to try and define what is a serious matter and what isn't. I'm saying you don't get to do that for me and the other 44 plus million African-Americans in the U.S. We have a story and these are our experiences, and you don't get to dictate what I should and shouldn't take serious. I can't help me checking you on your presumptive arrogance would amount to me being arrogant.

In light of this why should we assume that any issue involving people of different races is racially motivated, when most incidents of this kind are likely to involve people of the same race?

But I never really implied "every incident" I'm clearly identifying specific instances. For example in a high end store if an African-American individual is being engaged differently than anyone else in the store we can infer the potentiality of implicit racial bias based on the historical reference point of racial profiling in stores. So while you're trying to talking about every case I'm referring to specific instances. How about we stick with the examples I've displayed in this thread and not generated hypotheticals?

I assume that racism does play a part, but that starting from the assumption that every case must be racism is both illogical and harmful. Do you disagree with this?

Stop assuming what I said and actually go back and quote where I said every single case. I'm really getting sick of you making an a** out of yourself by saying stuff I didn't say, and if I said it please for God sake quote me.

Curious George

Veteran Member
[

I was clearly showing you instances where race has been a factor. You claim that there are individual instances where race may play a factor, and as I was saying which is historically as well as anecdotally have been proven, race in the experiences of various members of minority communities concerning law enforcement, race has been a factor.
Then you are mistaken in assuming that I do not believe such cases exist. Why you would assume that, I am not sure.
Wrong. I think most if not all people have some sort of cultural bias. I know I do.
But you are failing to make the necessary connections in order to assert that this racial bias is a causal factor. While I agree that the question how does racial biases play into everyday interactions, conflicts, and collaborations are important questions, you are making a leap with the OP. Either you cannot see that leap or ypu won't see that leap.
I've experienced racism from whites both in my adolescent as well as my mature adult life so like many other black academic professionals we tend to modify our behavior and adapt to these encounters.
and that is a good well from which to draw. However, when you draw sweeping generalizations, it would behoove you to reflect on your own biases more.
I think the frustrating thing by me repeating myself to you in this case is that when I'm referring to implicit racial biases of this sort, how these biases manifest themselves I made the mention awhile back that it is done so on the subconscious level.
Okay, but still not a reason to leap to the conclusions you have.
I have had enough sit down experiences with whites in my life where especially when alcohol is involved that 9 times out of ten a purely benign discussion tends to shift towards race. It is my experience that there are Caucasians that are preoccupied with race as much if not more than any other ethnic group, but of course there are outliers.
My experience supports the same conclusion.
As far as every single encounter a white person has a with an African-American and it having a negative outcome of course I cannot prove every single instance it was purely racial, it would be foolish of me. The fact is plain and simple this country the United States was built on a foundation of racism and European centrist ideals and it is taking generations for us to do away with these definitions and standards for a more progressive approach.
I agree.

JJ50

The colour of a person's skin is of no importance, it is the sort of person you are which counts.

Racism is never "sometimes an issue," racism is always an issue. Whenever you have a system where it advantages one ethnic group over another it creates a system of inequity, counter to the principles of the constitution. When bringing up issues of racism it is not "overstating" the issues of racism in the United States. Frankly, those who have no interest in discussing racism and solutions to rid our country (and world) of it, use phrases like that. We need to just call out the elephant in the room. Caucasians need to accept that their forefathers have created a system since the 1600's where they (their forefathers) designed a system where it created advantages for whites and disadvantages for non-whites, and even today we still feel the residual effects of that system despite the progressive changes in our country. When Caucasians as a whole understand how such a system can generate resentment among the people who have lived in such a disadvantaged system for centuries then we can begin the discussion.

It seems like you don't actually read posts, but simply assume they say what you want them to say. If you read what people actually wrote, and replied to what they actually wrote then it would be much more productive.

Seeing as you changed the topic though, starting from the assumption that all of what you say is correct: How would you get rid of racism? What are some practical ways of mitigating the problem of implicit racial bias?

All I'm saying is get to know OUR story before you make inferences of what you think is true. You cannot define my experiences as right or wrong based on your own perspective. This is not being self-righteous it is called "putting you in check of your prejudices."

It might be if I had done any of that, seeing as I didn't though...

No. Every person of color has a story. You made an earlier attempt to try and define what is a serious matter and what isn't. I'm saying you don't get to do that for me and the other 44 plus million African-Americans in the U.S. We have a story and these are our experiences, and you don't get to dictate what I should and shouldn't take serious. I can't help me checking you on your presumptive arrogance would amount to me being arrogant.

Self-righteously "checking" me on something I didn't say could be considered pretty arrogant, as would assuming multiple personal failings of others based mostly on your own prejudice.

Easy solution: quote me saying any of what you are claiming I said... [cue *crickets*]

Also, do you agree that, due to US demographics, it is probably most spurious police calls will not involve people of different races?

But I never really implied "every incident" I'm clearly identifying specific instances. For example in a high end store if an African-American individual is being engaged differently than anyone else in the store we can infer the potentiality of implicit racial bias based on the historical reference point of racial profiling in stores. So while you're trying to talking about every case I'm referring to specific instances. How about we stick with the examples I've displayed in this thread and not generated hypotheticals?

And I never said you did, I asked you a simple question.

As I've repeatedly said, some incidents are certainly based on racial prejudice, but how do we tell these when racial prejudice must be inferred?

I've been followed round stores, had the police called on me unnecessarily, been told to stop hanging around a certain area, etc. Each time me/me and my friends were singled out for differential treatment from the norm, but it wasn't racism.

I've no doubt that, on average, this happens more to black people in America than white people and that this creates a legitimate grievance, but in any given incident, how can you tell that it is bigotry, rather than someone who is just a ****?

For example, how do we know 'permit patty' or 'Newport Nancy' were racist rather than just being ****s?

Stop assuming what I said and actually go back and quote where I said every single case. I'm really getting sick of you making an a** out of yourself by saying stuff I didn't say, and if I said it please for God sake quote me.

Getting sulky at your own lack of reading comprehension could also be considered making an *** out of yourself, just a thought...

"I assume that racism does play a part, but that starting from the assumption that every case must be racism is both illogical and harmful. Do you disagree with this?"

I assume... i.e this is my opinion, me, Augustus, not you.

The next sentence is a question, hence the question mark. This is where I ask for your opinion. It's called discussion.

Also, seeing as half of this thread is you misrepresenting other people's posts or assuming myriad personal failings on their behalf out of prejudice, it is a bit ironic that you feel hard done by over your own misunderstanding. A bit more of an open mind would be good, along with some compassion so you don't always assume negative intentions, eh? ;)

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
What does this even remotely mean? I mean if you don't have nothing logical and intelligible to add why even involve yourself in this discussion?

Now why would you comment like that about what I spoke to another?

White Female Privilege? Nope! A handful of incidents doesn't produce evidence for 'White Female Privilege', it doesn't. :shrug:

I expect that Police Forces will respond to calls for assistance from many White Females.... some will have been unnecessary, some attention seeking etc, but many will have been urgent appeals for immediate help, protection and support, which is what police forces are there for, to uphold law, protect life and to deter crime and loss.

The way you talk anybody would think that all appeals from White Females are unnecessary? By all means advocate legislation to punish deliberate time wasters, but don't pick on individual races, nationalities, colours, genders, sexualities, religions, disabilities, ages etc..... that could show how prejudiced you are, you see?

If you think that White Females are, on average, time wasting prejudiced hypervigilantes then that's just prejudiced hogwash, imo.

..... is all.... there, now I've bothered to involve myself in this discussion.