• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

White Female privilege-The case of Hypervigilantism

So this is why this discussion exist because I understand what is liked to be misjudged and have the authorities called on you because of some false presumption of guilt or assumption that a black person is up to no good.

How do you differentiate between a racially motivated incident, and just a standard overreaction though?

I'd imagine that the majority of unnecessary police callouts have nothing to do with race as they are likely within the same racial demographic. When they involve people of different races we have to assume that a fair number of these are not due to racial prejudice, but the same reasons people call out police unnecessarily against people who share their racial demographic.

When they involve people of different races, what criteria do you think we should use to judge racial bias?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
This is pretty much my last response to you in this discussion and thereafter things will be ignored because we are at a position where you’re trying to dictate what is important to you. The problem with some whites is they try to define and dictate what is important to focus on and what isn’t. This is not how understanding works. You don’t sit there and listen to someone with a grievance and are like “well, I don’t see it around me or in the mainstream!” You don’t dictate what is important to a person. THAT person dictates what’s important but for you to understand you ought to acknowledge that a problem exist.

I am just one person bringing it up here but if you go into any serious black discussion forum race is an issue because it constantly is affecting the black community. The problem I see especially on this forum is a lot of whites who could be perspective allies are silent to the issue because they don’t want to get involved or they feel since it’s not an issue with them it is therefore not a grand issue.

Women especially feminist talk about “rape culture” well okay, I can set my privilege and bias aside and acknowledge an issue that rape and the elements of empowering malevolent behavior needs to be addressed.” But if I say “rape culture isn’t around me and it’s not that big of an issue I am clearly stating that to the person with the grievance of rape culture, their problems are not that important.” This is essentially what you are doing.

You don’t know my story or my life or what I’ve been through. Blacks in academia are taught to work twice as hard as everyone else because of the fact that the residual affects of white supremacy has been ingrained in society that we are incapable. The same goes for problems with hyper-vigilantism. Some whites will not believe a person’s story unless there is proof and ironically even when there is proof some will say “well what happened before they started recording?”

That is the main issue I have with some white people is you try to tell us “oh it’s not that big of an issue!” Therefore you try to try and define importance for another based on your perspective. That’s the wrong approach to understanding cultures. I don’t have a right to walk up to a homeless man who wants something to eat and tell that person “well you have two legs go get a job.”

That is wrong and inconsiderate because we don’t know their story. If race truly wasn’t an issue why is there HBCUs or minority student body clubs or black this, Asian this, or Arab that? Because we live in a society that looks at the world through a lens of white supremacy.

Although I personally may not deal with racism on a level as the next man but I have dealt with it. So this is why this discussion exist because I understand what is liked to be misjudged and have the authorities called on you because of some false presumption of guilt or assumption that a black person is up to no good.

This is a major problem I notice on RF dealing with discussions on race you folks are truly ignorant and willingly incapable of acknowledging the perspective of someone else’s story. This is why there are very few white allies and majority of those that substantiate white supremacist narratives.
As I see it there are two types of problems. One is government and institutional rules that discriminate. Number two is individual bad behavior.

I think problem 1) has been well addressed by society.

Problem 2) is never completely fixable as we don’t live in a world of all well adjusted and well thinking people. Never have never will. So what do we do about the problem beyond trying to keep tensions down and addressing individual events. Your method seems to be to dial the microscope in on these events for what result but increasing the tension level producing more of what you dislike.

The best fix for individual bad behavior is to realize we don’t live in a world of perfect people and to ratchet down the tension level on all sides. Your approach ratchets up the tensional level. Are you helping or hurting the problem you are concerned about?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I do not understand the use of police by private individuals to settle personal problems with other people. It seems to be a very American thing. It is very rare indeed in the UK, except in the more violent cases of domestic abuse.
It is almost never done involving strangers.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I do not understand the use of police by private individuals to settle personal problems with other people. It seems to be a very American thing. It is very rare indeed in the UK, except in the more violent cases of domestic abuse.
It is almost never done involving strangers.
It might be rare here too.
(We have a saying, "Snitches get stitches.")
When someone posts a few such news items, & gives them
much attention, this can give a false impression that it's rampant.

This also explains why people fear flying but not driving....plane
crashes are big news, but car crashes aren't, despite their killing
far far more people.

Is there any way to quantify using cops to settle personal scores?

Last edited:

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
How do you differentiate between a racially motivated incident, and just a standard overreaction though?

In the general sense you cannot. A older white woman who owns a liquor store in the suburbs who sees a group of Hispanic kids may have some panic because if that is not the clientele she is used to then yes, her approach may be somewhat over reactive (assuming she calls the cops). In these cases you cannot exclaim racism per se, however I have indicated that research has taught us that subconsciously there is the presumptive feeling of danger when it comes to black children and even Hispanic children.

Like I also mentioned before earlier that there is this media stigma and preemptive stereotype against people of color based on media and based on encounters.

Black Man= Thug

Hispanic= Illegal

Arab= Terrorist

White= Mental Problems

The first three are heavily media driven and people like yourselves by into it.Now, not saying you specifically but the average white person that doesn't have a regular occurrence with an African-American with sense will have these stereotypes and thus the overreaction based on internal biases.

I'd imagine

Here is the probllem I'm clearly telling you all my story and what do you do?

"I imagine its not like this"

So frankly what you all are telling me is that police being called out for potential racial bias is not an issue? This is why blacks are encourage to film because the average white person will not believe our story. This is the problem. Now I'm quite sick of repeating myself to you all at this point as if you don't get it.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I would............ I'd do something.... I really would.
But it's safer to just get the bicycle out and go for a ride.

You see.... Mrs Badger..... she's white...... and she's a woman........ and when she's annoyed..... she's Bad!

*shivers*

Hence is why this comment is the reason we don't have allies.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I'm sure if I got some of my very vocal members of my student body to read this and sign up they pretty much would eat most of you up but its not that serious. I just see a whole bunch of people not really trying to understand the perspective of someone of color. This is why most of you will continue to question why racism is an issue and why "blacks are angry."

Curious George

Veteran Member
I'm sure if I got some of my very vocal members of my student body to read this and sign up they pretty much would eat most of you up but its not that serious. I just see a whole bunch of people not really trying to understand the perspective of someone of color. This is why most of you will continue to question why racism is an issue and why "blacks are angry."
Please do. I do not question why racism is an issue and i do not think "blacks are angry."

The fact remains that you are applying statistical averages to individuals. I would be happy to discuss the issue with anyone you want.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Please do. I do not question why racism is an issue and i do not think "blacks are angry."

The fact remains that you are applying statistical averages to individuals. I would be happy to discuss the issue with anyone you want.

I just wasted time showing you articles concerning implicit racial biases. I offered videos. Still these things aren't good enough.

Police say woman's dramatic account of attack by 'black male wearing a hoodie' was a lie

"A woman who claimed that a black man attacked her in a Walmart parking lot, even posting photos of her injuries and inciting public sympathy, lied about everything, say police.

Kristen Michelle Rimes of Irmo was charged with filing a false police report and false swearing (to police) after she reported a fake crime. She was taken to the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center in Columbia. The police department did not return Yahoo Lifestyle’s request for comment.' data-reactid="23">On Tuesday, the Columbia Police Department in South Carolina announced that in December, 26-year-old Kristen Michelle Rimes of Irmo was charged with filing a false police report and false swearing (to police) after she reported a fake crime. She was taken to the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center in Columbia. The police department did not return Yahoo Lifestyle’s request for comment.

Rimes told police that on Nov. 26, she was assaulted by a black man in a Walmart parking lot. In an interview with Cola Daily, Rimes described sitting in her parked car, typing a friend’s address into her GPS system, when a black man came over and said, “Hey, girl.” “I didn’t see anybody, just heard a voice. I said I wasn’t interested and I just rolled my window up,” Rimes, a mother-of-two, told Cola Daily. “I had put my car in park, and I didn’t think about how my doors unlock automatically when I do that.” Then she said the man pulled her out of the car. “I felt a hit to the right side of my face almost immediately after that.” " data-reactid="27">“I didn’t see anybody, just heard a voice. I said I wasn’t interested and I just rolled my window up,” Rimes, a mother-of-two, told Cola Daily. “I had put my car in park, and I didn’t think about how my doors unlock automatically when I do that.” Then she said the man pulled her out of the car. “I felt a hit to the right side of my face almost immediately after that.”

“He started tugging on my pants,” she said. “Then I suddenly hear another guy scream, ‘What’s going on over there?’ And at that point, the guy took off. The man who yelled never came back. I just take it as an angel sent from God right at that time.”" data-reactid="28">“He started tugging on my pants,” she said. “Then I suddenly hear another guy scream, ‘What’s going on over there?’ And at that point, the guy took off. The man who yelled never came back. I just take it as an angel sent from God right at that time.”

“I wanted to get home and get out of there,” she told Cola Daily. “I went first thing Monday morning to file the police report to pull camera footage, which I am so mad at myself for not calling them that night. I think I was in such shock.”

However, Rimes had enough clarity to describe the suspect: “He was a black male, medium build, wearing a hoodie with a jacket over it.”

My co-worker! Bless her she’s been through a lot…so glad she’s okay! Everyone be on the lookout and please travel in pairs. I even call my fiance when I have to walk to my car from work just to be sure someone knows what’s happening.”' data-reactid="33">Rimes’s colleague posted images of her facial injuries in a Facebook group called “Citizens of The Town of Irmo, SC,” writing, “My co-worker! Bless her she’s been through a lot…so glad she’s okay! Everyone be on the lookout and please travel in pairs. I even call my fiance when I have to walk to my car from work just to be sure someone knows what’s happening.”

After Rimes’s arrest, the poster wrote, “Edit, yes I know she’s been taken into custody for false police report. Very upset.” According to the State, Rimes’s photos were passed around in multiple Facebook groups.

The police press release said that Rimes herself posted about the alleged attack on social media, causing “public concern.” However, it said investigations determined she was not at the Walmart location on the night of the reported attack.

The State reported that Rimes’s Facebook post has been deleted. Rimes and a relative of hers did not return Yahoo Lifestyle’s requests for comment.

Police say woman's dramatic account of attack by 'black male wearing a hoodie' was a lie

What you're doing George is not only discounting my experiences but again the experiences of other African-Americans.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
@Curious George

Georgia Cop Who Lied About Black Man Shooting Her Gets 15 Years

Police officer Sherry Hall was sentenced to 15 years in prison followed by 23 years of probation on Aug. 30 after fabricating a story that a Black man shot her while on duty, according to The Washington Post.

In Sept. 2016 Hall said she was shot by a 6-foot, 250-pound Black man with dreads in a green shirt and black jogging pants. The then-rookie officer claimed she took cover and fired two rounds after she was shot without warning.

A bullet was recovered from her protective vest, two shell casings were found near her police car, and another casing was located in the nearby woods. According to 11 Alive, Rodreikus Scott was apprehended and identified as the shooter by Hall.

Hall made inconsistent statements and alleged she was shot at three times. However, her in-car camera showed that she didn’t immediately call for help and that only two shots were fired.

Continued...

During her sentencing, Superior Court Judge Thomas Wilson reprimanded her for her actions.

“Ms. Hall, I’m not sorry for you one bit,” the judge said, according to the Progress-Argus. “One percent of the police officers in the United States are ruining it for 99 percent of the others. What you’ve done, you’ve put such a black eye on law enforcement, it’s hard for them to overcome it. We’ve got so many folks fighting us nowadays, and you just added to it.”

What this says is its easy to blame blacks for almost anything and accuse blacks almost anything.

In the general sense you cannot... however I have indicated that research has taught us that subconsciously there is the presumptive feeling of danger when it comes to black children and even Hispanic children.

Of course racism is sometimes an issue, if you can't tell that it is most likely to be racism, why should you assume it?

In theory, do you think it would be problematic to overstate the degree of racial prejudice that exists?

Here is the probllem I'm clearly telling you all my story and what do you do?

Here's the problem, much as you seem to think otherwise, the subjective personal experience of EBM is not the sum total of the complex questions regarding racism in the US. I asked a simple question, followed by a basic statement regarding the population dynamics of US society and you respond with self-righteous insults about how everyone is a biased, compassionless idiot except you. Your approach is that unless everyone bows to your wisdom and accepts you are 100% right about everything then they are suffering from myriad personal failings that must be assumed to drive their every move. It would be nice to discuss the issue in a reasonable manner.

I'll try again. This is not about you as you are simply 1 out of 350 million people in the US and thus are statistically irrelevant as is any other given individual. When I said "I'd imagine", I meant based on what should be the default assumption absent evidence to the contrary.

1. Every day many people of all races call the police on others unnecessarily (happened to me more than once when I was younger).
2. The 'average' white person lives in a majority white area. The 'average' black person lives in majority black area. etc.
3. Unless there is persuasive evidence to the contrary, we should start with the assumption that a white person is most likely to call the police on a white person, the average black person....etc. because of who lives in their neighbourhood (this is why white people predominantly murder white people, black people predominantly murder black people etc and could be true with even with significant racial prejudice existing).

In light of this why should we assume that any issue involving people of different races is racially motivated, when most incidents of this kind are likely to involve people of the same race?

So frankly what you all are telling me is that police being called out for potential racial bias is not an issue? This is why blacks are encourage to film because the average white person will not believe our story. This is the problem. Now I'm quite sick of repeating myself to you all at this point as if you don't get it.

I said nothing of the sort, you just assumed bad faith and personal failings on behalf of someone asking you a simple question.

I assume that racism does play a part, but that starting from the assumption that every case must be racism is both illogical and harmful. Do you disagree with this?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Hence is why this comment is the reason we don't have allies.

I have allies.......... well, one.
Mrs Badger, actually.
She is the person who makes my life worthwhile, and makes me feel so happy that I even have some kind of sense of humour, such as prompted your post to me. :D

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I have allies.......... well, one.
Mrs Badger, actually.
She is the person who makes my life worthwhile, and makes me feel so happy that I even have some kind of sense of humour, such as prompted your post to me. :D
You're ignoring the OP's reasoning.
Every example offered is of a white woman perpetrating some evil upon a black man.
And we have what....around a dozen anecdotes now?
Not one example of a black man ever doing one thing wrong to a white woman.
This is overwhelming statistical evidence.
Thus, all white women are dangerous racists.
I'm glad I didn't marry one.
You be careful around her, ya hear.

Curious George

Veteran Member
I just wasted time showing you articles concerning implicit racial biases. I offered videos. Still these things aren't good enough.
If it was a waste it is only because I agree there is racism and racial bias prevalent in our society today and it did not address my criticism of your earlier posts.

"A woman who claimed that a black man attacked her in a Walmart parking lot, even posting photos of her injuries and inciting public sympathy, lied about everything, say police.

Kristen Michelle Rimes of Irmo was charged with filing a false police report and false swearing (to police) after she reported a fake crime. She was taken to the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center in Columbia. The police department did not return Yahoo Lifestyle’s request for comment.' data-reactid="23">On Tuesday, the Columbia Police Department in South Carolina announced that in December, 26-year-old Kristen Michelle Rimes of Irmo was charged with filing a false police report and false swearing (to police) after she reported a fake crime. She was taken to the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center in Columbia. The police department did not return Yahoo Lifestyle’s request for comment.

Rimes told police that on Nov. 26, she was assaulted by a black man in a Walmart parking lot. In an interview with Cola Daily, Rimes described sitting in her parked car, typing a friend’s address into her GPS system, when a black man came over and said, “Hey, girl.” “I didn’t see anybody, just heard a voice. I said I wasn’t interested and I just rolled my window up,” Rimes, a mother-of-two, told Cola Daily. “I had put my car in park, and I didn’t think about how my doors unlock automatically when I do that.” Then she said the man pulled her out of the car. “I felt a hit to the right side of my face almost immediately after that.” " data-reactid="27">“I didn’t see anybody, just heard a voice. I said I wasn’t interested and I just rolled my window up,” Rimes, a mother-of-two, told Cola Daily. “I had put my car in park, and I didn’t think about how my doors unlock automatically when I do that.” Then she said the man pulled her out of the car. “I felt a hit to the right side of my face almost immediately after that.”

“He started tugging on my pants,” she said. “Then I suddenly hear another guy scream, ‘What’s going on over there?’ And at that point, the guy took off. The man who yelled never came back. I just take it as an angel sent from God right at that time.”" data-reactid="28">“He started tugging on my pants,” she said. “Then I suddenly hear another guy scream, ‘What’s going on over there?’ And at that point, the guy took off. The man who yelled never came back. I just take it as an angel sent from God right at that time.”

“I wanted to get home and get out of there,” she told Cola Daily. “I went first thing Monday morning to file the police report to pull camera footage, which I am so mad at myself for not calling them that night. I think I was in such shock.”

However, Rimes had enough clarity to describe the suspect: “He was a black male, medium build, wearing a hoodie with a jacket over it.”

My co-worker! Bless her she’s been through a lot…so glad she’s okay! Everyone be on the lookout and please travel in pairs. I even call my fiance when I have to walk to my car from work just to be sure someone knows what’s happening.”' data-reactid="33">Rimes’s colleague posted images of her facial injuries in a Facebook group called “Citizens of The Town of Irmo, SC,” writing, “My co-worker! Bless her she’s been through a lot…so glad she’s okay! Everyone be on the lookout and please travel in pairs. I even call my fiance when I have to walk to my car from work just to be sure someone knows what’s happening.”

After Rimes’s arrest, the poster wrote, “Edit, yes I know she’s been taken into custody for false police report. Very upset.” According to the State, Rimes’s photos were passed around in multiple Facebook groups.

The police press release said that Rimes herself posted about the alleged attack on social media, causing “public concern.” However, it said investigations determined she was not at the Walmart location on the night of the reported attack.

The State reported that Rimes’s Facebook post has been deleted. Rimes and a relative of hers did not return Yahoo Lifestyle’s requests for comment.

What you're doing George is not only discounting my experiences but again the experiences of other African-Americans.
That is your way of writing off my argument. I have done nothing of the sort.

Curious George

Veteran Member
@Curious George

Georgia Cop Who Lied About Black Man Shooting Her Gets 15 Years

Police officer Sherry Hall was sentenced to 15 years in prison followed by 23 years of probation on Aug. 30 after fabricating a story that a Black man shot her while on duty, according to The Washington Post.

In Sept. 2016 Hall said she was shot by a 6-foot, 250-pound Black man with dreads in a green shirt and black jogging pants. The then-rookie officer claimed she took cover and fired two rounds after she was shot without warning.

A bullet was recovered from her protective vest, two shell casings were found near her police car, and another casing was located in the nearby woods. According to 11 Alive, Rodreikus Scott was apprehended and identified as the shooter by Hall.

Hall made inconsistent statements and alleged she was shot at three times. However, her in-car camera showed that she didn’t immediately call for help and that only two shots were fired.

Continued...

During her sentencing, Superior Court Judge Thomas Wilson reprimanded her for her actions.

“Ms. Hall, I’m not sorry for you one bit,” the judge said, according to the Progress-Argus. “One percent of the police officers in the United States are ruining it for 99 percent of the others. What you’ve done, you’ve put such a black eye on law enforcement, it’s hard for them to overcome it. We’ve got so many folks fighting us nowadays, and you just added to it.”

What this says is its easy to blame blacks for almost anything and accuse blacks almost anything.
Maybe you missed where I specifically challenged your focus on scenarios where race was not an apparent factor. You seem to have in your mind "most white people have racial bias, therefore if a white person does x, it is safe to assume that they did it because of that racial bias. This is bigotry.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
You're ignoring the OP's reasoning.
Every example offered is of a white woman perpetrating some evil upon a black man.
And we have what....around a dozen anecdotes now?
Not one example of a black man ever doing one thing wrong to a white woman.
This is overwhelming statistical evidence.
Thus, all white women are dangerous racists.
I'm glad I didn't marry one.
You be careful around her, ya hear.
Some of us men like to get molested by women, ya know. :D

And now I learn a little more about you. Or are you just saying that your beautiful wife is not a dangerous racist but is white?

It is sad that some folks are so prejudiced that their extremism blinds them to more balanced reasoning.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Some of us men like to get molested by women, ya know. :D

And now I learn a little more about you. Or are you just saying that your beautiful wife is not a dangerous racist but is white?

It is sad that some folks are so prejudiced that their extremism blinds them to more balanced reasoning.
Mrs Revolt is asian....the model minority....just don't ever cross
them. While they all know kung fu, at least the 5 step exploding
heart technique would a quick & painless death.
Just ask @Wu Wei.