• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

White Female privilege-The case of Hypervigilantism

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
As we end the year of Trump's foolishness, lies, and ridiculous policies, we also need to as an American society need to reflect on the issues we continue to face as U.S. Americans. What continues to be clear and evident, is the internalization of fear and privilege as presented by white Americans. In 2018 the hash tags of "BBQ Becky" and "Hall monitor Suzie" monikers have adorned twitter in comical fashion. Although it is quite funny, it is symptomatic to the sad state of affairs that exist in the United States and it reveals the issue of the racial divide that exist in the U.S. No matter how many times some of you continue to say "let's stop talking about it" (cue the Morgan Freeman diatribe), or you try and deflect the critique of the presumptive phrase of a "post-racial society" by citing Obama's presidency, but people forget there still exist the element within many white Americans of the internalization of racial bias and fear.

Case in point the Emmett Till murder where a white woman lied and said that Till whistled at her which resulted in a 14 year-old boy's death. More than 50 years later, the same woman that accused Till, admitted that she fabricated the story. Fast forward to 2018 we see many white Americans specifically white women who are utilizing emergency services for ridiculous nonsense. We saw in the case of the African-American man who was prevented from entering his apartment complex because to a white women the man looked "suspicious." Then we also see in the example of another white woman dubbed "Newport Nancy" who called police on a black woman smoking in a parking lot, and also threatening to evict her for smoking on property.

The continuance of calling emergency services for non-emergent issues is symptomatic to the privileges that many white Americans enjoy as Rolling Stone puts it:

"Identifying as the victim allows the women in these scenarios to maintain both innocence and ignorance."

Why White Women Keep Calling the Cops on Black People – Rolling Stone

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
As we end the year of Trump's foolishness, lies, and ridiculous policies, we also need to as an American society need to reflect on the issues we continue to face as U.S. Americans. What continues to be clear and evident, is the internalization of fear and privilege as presented by white Americans. In 2018 the hash tags of "BBQ Becky" and "Hall monitor Suzie" monikers have adorned twitter in comical fashion. Although it is quite funny, it is symptomatic to the sad state of affairs that exist in the United States and it reveals the issue of the racial divide that exist in the U.S. No matter how many times some of you continue to say "let's stop talking about it" (cue the Morgan Freeman diatribe), or you try and deflect the critique of the presumptive phrase of a "post-racial society" by citing Obama's presidency, but people forget there still exist the element within many white Americans of the internalization of racial bias and fear.

Case in point the Emmett Till murder where a white woman lied and said that Till whistled at her which resulted in a 14 year-old boy's death. More than 50 years later, the same woman that accused Till, admitted that she fabricated the story. Fast forward to 2018 we see many white Americans specifically white women who are utilizing emergency services for ridiculous nonsense. We saw in the case of the African-American man who was prevented from entering his apartment complex because to a white women the man looked "suspicious." Then we also see in the example of another white woman dubbed "Newport Nancy" who called police on a black woman smoking in a parking lot, and also threatening to evict her for smoking on property.

The continuance of calling emergency services for non-emergent issues is symptomatic to the privileges that many white Americans enjoy as Rolling Stone puts it:

"Identifying as the victim allows the women in these scenarios to maintain both innocence and ignorance."

Things have not gotten better as fast as people hoped, have they? A lot of people are very shy to begin with and are afraid of common day to day interactions. For example a lot of people feel uncomfortable dealing with a cashier or eating in a nice restaurant. Its pretty sad, and I think that is a big part of this. People are scared all the time. They're scared to try new things and to meet new people. I'm not trying to discount racism at all or segregation at all. I'm saying that the way to combat this is through getting people to relax and learn to try new things at younger ages. People too readily accept fear as an excuse not to do things.

You know what I think its a result of having a life filled with dont and cant. Then everything is "I'd better not" and "I have to live by avoiding problems."

Stanyon

WWMRD?
You are really scraping the bottom of the barrel if you are using Rolling Stone as a news source, remember how the Rape on Campus story ended up? I also see once again you dug up Emmit Till, most likely to "prime the pump" so to speak and I find that disturbing and disingenuous.
did you know that Emmit Till's casket is in the Smithsonian?

PureX

Veteran Member

It is very difficult to get people to recognize and acknowledge their complicity in an unfair social system. We just don't want to admit that each time and instance that we are being favored over others, undeservedly, we are supporting the system that enables and enforces that unfairness. And that we are doing it because we are getting something from it, for ourselves, that we didn't really deserve.

We all want to imagine that we are the "good guys". That, yes, the system is unfair, but we are not to blame for that. Yet in truth we are not the "good guys", and we ARE to blame for helping to perpetuate an unfair system that we continue to support through our selfish cooperation and participation in it.

Last edited:

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I think the racial situation in America is now pretty good and getting better.

Now it seems the negativists on the issue are down to finding lindividual incidents where people behave badly. And the traction for the stories only come when it can be presented as a white against blacks. Odd racial behavior by blacks doesn’t get the traction as that is not what is hot right now.

My point is that we must be in a pretty good place when we are down to worrying about seemingly odd behavior by individuals. There will always be a predictable amount of odd individual behavior by people of all races and I say ‘ya, so?’,

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Who was the black activist who heard footsteps on the sidewalk behind him, late at night in a big city, and turned around? Was happy to see that it was some random white guy?
I think it was Jesse Jackson. But it's been awhile, I could be wrong.
Tom

Curious George

Veteran Member

People certainly call the police for small things. I think that any honest look at the subject will agree that this happens often regardless of race. The question you are are addressing is how race does play a role in some incidences of contacting the police. I would be interested in hearing your arguments about when and why race played a factor in some incidents. I do agree that race does undoubtedly is a factor in some instances.

I agree. Let us talk about it. I would assert that the public backlash faced post incident in all of these cases was substantially greater because the women were white. Comparing them to Emmett Till is a little extreme, but I suppose the public outrage toward these white women does mirror the outrage toward Till. I do not know if anyone has taken more aggressive action toward these women. Death threats, loss of jobs, public ridicule does seem nasty though. I would suggest that an additional difference exists in that Emmett's cat call was fabricated while these white women's call to the police was not. Nonetheless, it is interesting to think that some white women are the Emmett Till's of 2018.

74x12

So what can you do? Raise their IQ by 30 or so points and I think they would stop calling the police for stupid reasons.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think the racial situation in America is now pretty good and getting better.

Now it seems the negativists on the issue are down to finding lindividual incidents where people behave badly. And the traction for the stories only come when it can be presented as a white against blacks. Odd racial behavior by blacks doesn’t get the traction as that is not what is hot right now.

My point is that we must be in a pretty good place when we are down to worrying about seemingly odd behavior by individuals. There will always be a predictable amount of odd individual behavior by people of all races and I say ‘ya, so?’,
Things are pretty good when complaints like this get much attention...
LeBron James: NFL Owners 'Old White Men' with 'Slave Mentality' Toward Players

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Basically saying "my boss is racist because he tells me what to do."

That's what bosses do. Conclusion. All bosses are racist!
Also, he works there voluntarily for decent pay.
He should be complaining about having to pay
income tax in every state where he plays a game.