• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whistleblowers

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
There are many companies that treat their employees illegally. Let's say that you become aware of such a company. Let's also say that if the company was forced to treat their employees legally, it might trigger layoffs, or in the worst case, the company going out of business.

What considerations would you use to determine whether to blow the whistle on the company or not?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
There are many companies that treat their employees illegally. Let's say that you become aware of such a company. Let's also say that if the company was forced to treat their employees legally, it might trigger layoffs, or in the worst case, the company going out of business.

What considerations would you use to determine whether to blow the whistle on the company or not?

I don't know. But depending on who you report to, I'd say sometimes it's not worth it to blow the whistle on a bad business in general, and that nothing sometimes gets done. Or they just get a slap on the wrist, which they can sometimes take out on employees.

My advice may not be ideal, but if given the situation, I'd just quit.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
... thereby creating unmet demand in the market that could be met by a more ethical company, which would need staff.

The extent of my duty - either ethically or legally - toward the people being harmed or put at risk would be a big one.

That particular scenario is interesting through my particular professional lens. As a licensed professional engineer, my clearest legal duty under my code of ethics is to protect the public welfare. I'm also required to act with "fairness and loyalty to [my] associates, employer, clients, subordinates and employees."

While there's some conflict in having to be loyal to both my associates and my employer, I think the illegality and unfairness of the employer's actions would mean that I have a duty to report what they're doing.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
There's not much to consider for me. I routinely call out corporate rubbish whether or not what they are doing is legal were it is obviously unscrupulous or unethical. I would be delighted, for example, if most of the AAA video game developer landscape collapsed on itself between its abuse of its employees and its abuse of its own customers.

Altfish

Veteran Member

If a company cannot operate within in the law - it should not exist.

People/workers are more important than companies.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I don't know. But depending on who you report to, I'd say sometimes it's not worth it to blow the whistle on a bad business in general, and that nothing sometimes gets done. Or they just get a slap on the wrist, which they can sometimes take out on employees.

My advice may not be ideal, but if given the situation, I'd just quit.
That's what I'd do. Quit. Maybe post a review on a jobs hiring site to warn potential candidates.

Heyo

Veteran Member

Step 1: investigate and document. I wouldn't want to make accusations without the necessary evidence.
Step 2: if their actions are unethical but not illegal or in a legal grey zone, talk to the management. This is obsolete if there is clear illegality.
Step 3: improve home security.
Step 4: inform the police / public.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Let's also say that if the company was forced to treat their employees legally, it might trigger layoffs, or in the worst case, the company going out of business.
BTW: something that would be in the back of my mind: if a company is behaving dishonestly by mistreating its employees and deliberately breaking the law as a business strategy, I'm probably not going to believe its leaders when they say the company can't afford to behave properly.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Thanks for all the responses so far.

I've done a lot of research and I'm 95% sure the company is doing something illegal, and they know it. I'm thinking of filing a couple of claims with the IRS, as I might be awarded some significant compensation for past work. But I do worry about retribution!

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

This is a tangent, so apologies, but thought you might find it interesting. I was speaking to a fairly high level guy in the Victorian Auditor Generals Office last week, and he mentioned a trend in whistleblowers.

Rather than workers rights, or dishonest financial practices, there is a growing prevalence of people whistleblowing on companies making deliberately false or completely disingenuous environmental claims.

(Simple example would be companies claiming to be carbon neutral, but who don't even measure carbon, or falsify what they do measure)

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

I've done a lot of research and I'm 95% sure the company is doing something illegal, and they know it. I'm thinking of filing a couple of claims with the IRS, as I might be awarded some significant compensation for past work. But I do worry about retribution!

If it were here, I'd tell you to go for it, but I don't know enough about American practices to offer pragmatic advice, sorry...

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

If you're going to be relying on your work there on your resume, it's probably a good idea to stay in touch with some former coworkers who have left the company to use as references.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

What I read is that the company isn't a viable business, but it is being kept afloat by doing illegal stuff involving the employees. And all that, likely, to keep filling the private pockets of the company owners, while really they are virtually already bankrupt. Meaning that they are also costing the taxpayer money AND dragging other companies down with them (since they are likely in debt all over the place).

Blowing the wistle would be doing society a favor.
Yes it's unfortunate that this might trigger layoffs. I prefer that over artificially keeping companies alive that are only losing money.

Keeping a company afloat like that, never ends well and does far more damage then good (where that "good" supposedly is "not doing layoffs").

Having said all that.... as an honest business owner myself, my blood boils concerning enterpreneurs who don't play by the rules.

Even silly things, like using the company card to pay for your family dinner. I loath it. I think people who engage in such, should face heavy concequences. Even to the point where they can't own or operate a business any longer after being caught several times over, with heavy fines. Actual fines that actually hurt. Not a mere 1000 bucks for someone who has 100 million in the bank.

I think it's very fine for people to become filthy rich if they have a successful business. But only if they play by the rules. All rules. From taxes all the way to how you deal with employees.

Last edited: