• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whistleblower complaint alleges mass hysterectomies at ICE detention center

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
‘Like an Experimental Concentration Camp’: Whistleblower Complaint Alleges Mass Hysterectomies at ICE Detention Center

Several legal advocacy groups on Monday filed a whistleblower complaint on behalf of a nurse at an Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) detention center documenting “jarring medical neglect” within the facility, including a refusal to test detainees for the novel coronavirus and an exorbitant rate of hysterectomies being performed on immigrant women.

The nurse, Dawn Wooten, was employed at the Irwin County Detention Center (ICDC) in Georgia, which is operated by LaSalle Corrections, a private prison company. The complaint was filed with the Office of the Inspector General (OIG) for the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) by advocacy groups Project South, Georgia Detention Watch, Georgia Latino Alliance for Human Rights, and South Georgia Immigrant Support Network.

Multiple women came forward to tell Project South about what they perceived to be the inordinate rate at which women in ICDC were subjected to hysterectomies – a surgical operation in which all or part of the uterus is removed. Additionally, many of the immigrant women who underwent the procedure were reportedly “confused” when asked to explain why they had the surgery, with one detainee likening their treatment to prisoners in concentration camps.

“When I met all these women who had had surgeries, I thought this was like an experimental concentration camp. It was like they’re experimenting with our bodies,” the detainee said.

According to Wooten, ICDC consistently used a particular gynecologist – outside the facility – who almost always opted to remove all or part of the uterus of his female detainee patients.

“Everybody he sees has a hysterectomy—just about everybody,” Wooten said, adding that, “everybody’s uterus cannot be that bad.”

“We’ve questioned among ourselves like goodness he’s taking everybody’s stuff out…That’s his specialty, he’s the uterus collector. I know that’s ugly…is he collecting these things or something…Everybody he sees, he’s taking all their uteruses out or he’s taken their tubes out. What in the world.”

Wooten – who is being represented in the matter by the Government Accountability Project – also confirmed that many of the detained women told her that they didn’t understand why they were being forced to have the procedure. She explained that some of the nurses who didn’t speak Spanish obtained consent from detainees “by simply googling Spanish.”

The complaint details several accounts from detainees, including one woman who was not properly anesthetized during the procedure and heard the aforementioned doctor tell the nurse he had mistakenly removed the wrong ovary, resulting in her losing all reproductive ability. Another said she was scheduled for the procedure but when she questioned why it was necessary, she was given at least three completely different answers.

Whistleblower blasts Georgia immigration detention center’s COVID-19 response

A coalition of advocacy groups filed a federal complaint on Monday against the private company that operates an immigration detention center in South Georgia, alleging the company is failing to protect detainees and employees from the spread of COVID-19.

Filed with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security Office of Inspector General, the 27-page complaint is based partly on the information supplied by a whistleblower identified as Dawn Wooten, a licensed practical nurse who worked in the Irwin County Detention Center in Ocilla. She is scheduled to speak at a news conference at noon Tuesday in downtown Atlanta.

She told the inspector general the detention center refused to test symptomatic detainees for COVID-19, failed to distribute personal protective equipment to staff and systematically underreported COVID-19 cases, according to the advocacy groups.

ICE's response:

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) does not comment on matters presented to the Office of the Inspector General, which provides independent oversight and accountability within the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. ICE takes all allegations seriously and defers to the OIG regarding any potential investigation and/or results. That said, in general, anonymous, unproven allegations, made without any fact-checkable specifics, should be treated with the appropriate skepticism they deserve.

The agency maintains that the Irwin County Detention Center has been inspected multiple times, with and without warning, and that the facility has been found to be in compliance with Performance Based National Detention Standards.

I just hope that there's a thorough investigation to this.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
and people keep telling us we're not dealing with fascism and nazis
The gaslighting and general propaganda coming from the current regime just needs to be ignored. I'm assuming anything that a member of the current regime says is a total lie until proven otherwise.

exchemist

Veteran Member
It reads to me like a case of the US medicine-for-profit system running amok, rather than some kind of Nazi experimentation, as suggested.

I strongly suspect that, if this story is true, it will turn out to be neglect, whereby a dodgy gynaecologist has been allowed to make a profit from unnecessary surgery, paid for by the state while these women are in detention. But a disgusting state of affairs, undoubtedly, if it is substantiated. It is not the first story of these ICE detention centres being run in a Kafka-esque manner and mistreating people.

epronovost

It reads to me like a case of the US medicine-for-profit system running amok, rather than some kind of Nazi experimentation, as suggested.

I strongly suspect that, if this story is true, it will turn out to be neglect, whereby a dodgy gynaecologist has been allowed to make a profit from unnecessary surgery, paid for by the state while these women are in detention. But a disgusting state of affairs, undoubtedly, if it is substantiated. It is not the first story of these ICE detention centres being run in a Kafka-esque manner and mistreating people.

There are several precedents of forced sterilisation of ethnic minorities in Canada and the US. It used to be linked to the hygenist movement in medecine in the first half of the 20th century. I wouldn't be so surprised if such a policy actually continued into the present day albeit in less widesprayed way.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

exchemist

Veteran Member
How did hysterectomies come into the picture? Anti anchor baby legislation or something?

When did this start?

Are hysterectomies routine procedure for immigrants or illegals?
These are the questions that cry out for an answer, if this story is true. We need the name of this gynaecologist, a list of the operations he has performed and the stories of some of the women involved, first hand.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
These are the questions that cry out for an answer, if this story is true. We need the name of this gynaecologist, a list of the operations he has performed and the stories of some of the women involved, first hand.
Its the first I heard of this.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Hysterectomies sounds pretty invasive into the realm of human rights abuse if its not voluntary.
Sounds like a question of "informed consent" if no effort is made to get someone who speaks Spanish. (I find it fantastic that in a country like the USA, where a quarter of the population speaks Spanish, they could not be bothered to arrange a Spanish-speaking doctor for this sort of thing to be discussed - but we shall see).

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

The complaint didn't name the gynecologist, but I'm sure we'll find out who he is eventually.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Godwin's Law is not a tool to shut down conversation of actual facist behavior, of which ethnic cleansing applies. Though, if true, certainly not the first time, unique to Nazi Germany, or even the first time in the US.
Still, attempting nazification of the
conversation is counter-productive.