• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which Worldview Is the Most Logical?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
And again, I think you are reading intent into where there was none.

A question that I answered. I'm sure Audie will respond if she feels the need or if she feels my answer was not adequate.

Can we stop with 'hot-button word' derail now and get back on topic?

Actually, I'm at work so I have nothing else better to do. You don't need to bring it up that way just ask for clarification. I asked her if that was the appropriate word. Since that is a question, I have no clue why you would answer the way you did.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Would this be a good moment to derail the thread even further by suggesting the moon landings were a hoax?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually, I'm at work so I have nothing else better to do. You don't need to bring it up that way just ask for clarification. I asked her if that was the appropriate word. Since that is a question, I have no clue why you would answer the way you did.

Since you are still having trouble letting this go and continue to derail the thread, I'll start a new one so you can continue to pursue this.

Audie

Veteran Member
Is that the right or appropriate word? That term is discriminating and used on deaf and hard of hearing people (worked with Deaf so know the culture well).

I did not know that. In the event I was not being
"ironic" in some way.

I invented the word, disirregardless of whether someone
first used the same spelling for some other meaning.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I did not know that. In the event I was not being
"ironic" in some way.

I invented the word, disirregardless of whether someone
first used the same spelling for some other meaning.

Thank you. (I'm at work doing nothing so I reply faster. Ha.) Anyway. Yes. When I was in the Deaf Community I picked up on words like hearing impaired, audism, deaf and dumb, etc, that are big no-nos in the culture. It became a pet peeve. If appropriate sometimes I bring it up other times I don't. It's not everyday knowledge one would just know, of course.

Nothing big. :leafwind:

Audie

Veteran Member
If one judged worldviews by their productivity then I would have to say that atheism is the best model to follow.

Why?
What even makes a world view?

I cannot but be aware that to some, "god"
is the central topic, concept or "fact" of
all existence. That does not make it so,
for me.

"Atheism" is not an organizing principle, basis for logic,
nor is it interesting or important.

Now, in the USA, and especially for some people,
"football", of all dreary things, is of the utmost
importance in their lives.

"Afootballism" is not thereby elevated to the rank
of a worldview.

We do not even have such a word as we have normal
people, and we have football fanatics. Similarly, there are
normal people and then there are these "theists"
who do things like fly into building, worship rocks,
or sing madrigals.

Talking about "atheists" or "afootballists" is
getting it backwards.

The word is more properly "anormalist" for
the football fanatics, etc.

GoodbyeDave

In this thread, we will offer our opinions as to which worldview is the most logical.
Preemptively, this is not a thread to argue which worldview is right.
If something is logical, then it is based on valid reasoning. If something is based on valid reasoning, then it's most likely right (unless some vital piece of evidence was missed). Conversely, if an opinion is right, then (unless the person holding it is very lucky) it is probably based on valid reasoning. Either you haven't thought this through, or you have a personal meaning for "logical".

Jumi

All internally consistent worldviews are "logical". The world is a bit trickier than that though. There's also the question if theism, atheism, pantheism, etc are worldviews or a collection of worldviews that overlap each other. For example I share much of the same worldview as most somewhat scientifically educated and curious people in the west, while holding a heretical yet also quite traditional theistic view.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
If something is logical, then it is based on valid reasoning. If something is based on valid reasoning, then it's most likely right (unless some vital piece of evidence was missed). Conversely, if an opinion is right, then (unless the person holding it is very lucky) it is probably based on valid reasoning. Either you haven't thought this through, or you have a personal meaning for "logical".

While I thank you for your critique on my OP, the purpose of that statement was to preempt posts by members that claim their worldview is right and that of others are wrong in the absence of logic or reasoning.

Now that we have that out of the way, any thoughts on the actual topic?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
There are many worldviews, such as atheism, apatheism, agnosticism, theism, deism, pantheism, panentheism just to name a few.

In this thread, we will offer our opinions as to which worldview is the most logical. With your opinion, please provide a reasoned argument as to why.

Preemptively, this is not a thread to argue which worldview is right. The view you perceive to be the most logical may not even be your own.

Above all, let's please keep the discourse civil.

I will offer my opinion later in the thread, but you are welcome to guess which one I might view as the most logical. You might be surprised.
Nihilism.

We're all racing towards oblivion anyway, does it really matter why?

lukethethird

unknown member
Someone would actually have to give a crap or not about worldviews, and logic for that matter, in order to respond to this thread.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It's interesting that you bring up productivity. Can you elaborate?

I was thinking of new concepts. I don't know of any ideas in the sciences that were found by relying on a religion. Almost all (there may be exceptions) are based upon materialistic naturalism. As close to atheism as one can get in application.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I was thinking of new concepts. I don't know of any ideas in the sciences that were found by relying on a religion. Almost all (there may be exceptions) are based upon materialistic naturalism. As close to atheism as one can get in application.

From a productivity standpoint, how would this differ from agnosticism, apatheism, or even pantheism?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Why?
What even makes a world view?

I cannot but be aware that to some, "god"
is the central topic, concept or "fact" of
all existence. That does not make it so,
for me.

"Atheism" is not an organizing principle, basis for logic,
nor is it interesting or important.
I take the term "worldview" to mean the mental model of reality a person uses to understand and predict the world around them.

Like any model, it only includes things that the person considers important, and only to the level of detail that they consider important.

In this approach, an "atheist worldview" would be a mental model that includes no gods.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
From a productivity standpoint, how would this differ from agnosticism, apatheism, or even pantheism?

One correction right off the bat. Most agnostics are atheists. Atheism is a lack of belief in a god or gods and most agnostics do not believe in a god. Hard atheism is only part of atheism, that is the belief that there are no gods. It would be best not to conflate the two. As to the rest, if god is ineffective why believe in him?

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Atheism does make more logical sense to me than theism, without evidence for the existence of any particular theistic supernatural deity, there is no reason to believe in the existence of any particular theistic supernatural deity. Atheist are logical in their non-belief of an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, highly benevolent supernatural sentient being. That said, however, there is weak and inconclusive evidence that our genetic coding was invented by extraterrestrial intelligence. So there might very well be a God or gods who are technologically advanced aliens. Atheists should seriously consider there could actually be extraterrestrial intelligence superior to the intelligence of anybody presently bound to Earth.