• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which wisdom deity would you recommend?

agorman

Premium Member
I'm thinking of trying Taoism (or at least my own path with Taoist influences) and I'd like to put a wisdom/teacher deity on my shrine that would guide me on my path. Which deity do you suggest? And what kind of offerings would he or she ask from me?

agorman

Premium Member
I don't think there is such thing as a deity in Taoism ?.

Maybe not in phylosophical Taoism, but there are many deities worshipped in religious Taoism such as Kuan Kung the protector, etc. I know "Google is my friend" and there are many webpages on taoist deities, but I'd like a recommendation of someone who knows a lot about Taoism.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Maybe not in phylosophical Taoism, but there are many deities worshipped in religious Taoism such as Kuan Kung the protector, etc. I know "Google is my friend" and there are many webpages on taoist deities, but I'd like a recommendation of someone who knows a lot about Taoism.
To me the trouble with Taoism is that its lost its true meaning or what it points to, the Tao cannot be named, it cannot be taught, its what we are, its all there IS, and anything else is just a story of the Tao, that in fact, takes you away from the Tao.

agorman

Premium Member
To me the trouble with Taoism is that its lost its true meaning or what it points to, the Tao cannot be named, it cannot be taught, its what we are, its all there IS, and anything else is just a story of the Tao, that in fact, takes you away from the Tao.

It all depends on how'd you want to relate with the Tao. We're still currently limited as human beings, so I see no point in trying to get in touch with the whole Universe at once!

I see no harm in asking for the guidance of an immortal/illuminated being as you could consult a human taoist master. But the human one would be less reliable of course. It would also depend on the quality of the UPG.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Rodin's The Thinker (Le Penseur), or maybe the Straw Man from The Wizard of Oz.

agorman

Premium Member
Rodin's The Thinker (Le Penseur), or maybe the Straw Man from The Wizard of Oz.

The thinker looks worried! The Straw Man after knowing he's wise I suppose. Although for a wisdom symbol, maybe an owl would be better.

Anyway, I was referring to a deity and not an archetype (though deities do use archetypes).

psychoslice

Veteran Member
It all depends on how'd you want to relate with the Tao. We're still currently limited as human beings, so I see no point in trying to get in touch with the whole Universe at once!

I see no harm in asking for the guidance of an immortal/illuminated being as you could consult a human taoist master. But the human one would be less reliable of course. It would also depend on the quality of the UPG.
We as human being are the Tao, because there is nothing that isn't the Tao, any guidance from whoever can only point you to the Tao, they cannot give it to you because you already have it, they don't have anymore than you do, they only realize what they have, or are.

Psychoslice is well informed. You and any deity you would wish to worship should be equally knowledgeable of the Tao. Also you might like the suggestion to see beyond good and bad from Lao Tzu. Knowledge and ignorance are both part of the Tao that move alongside you. I think that's it at least, I don't want to be too presumptuous of the Tao.