• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which Way Is Up?

Skwim

Veteran Member
In this case upper and lower refer to elevation rather than direction.
Cf: High and Low German.
I was just about to say the same thing.

L04_I_25.jpg

Elevation variation along the Nile.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
When you say "Even when we view images of the solar system, earth's north is in the upright position?" You're pretty much acknowledging that the globe's orientation is correct. Just say'n ;)

That was helpful and informative. Thanks.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Google "the globe" and click on 'images.'

the globe - Google Search

Why is it that every image reflects the Eurocentric view of north being in the top position? Why is north up? Even when we view images of the solar system, earth's north is in the upright position?

From outside the solar system, direction is irrelevant, so who decided which way is up?
When you say "Even when we view images of the solar system, earth's north is in the upright position?" You're pretty much acknowledging that the globe's orientation is correct. Just say'n ;)

Audie

Veteran Member
That's cool and interesting. Makes it look like Russia and Canada are more dominant than on the north up map, at least in my eyes. Looks like every other country is just a sidenote.

A Canadian friend told me of school maps there, that show
Canada top center, red, and of course Mercator -huge.

Asia? Split in half, framing Canada to left and right.

Nobody could doubt, looking at that map that Canada
was the most important country.

Laika

Premium Member
Google "the globe" and click on 'images.'

the globe - Google Search

Why is it that every image reflects the Eurocentric view of north being in the top position? Why is north up? Even when we view images of the solar system, earth's north is in the upright position?

From outside the solar system, direction is irrelevant, so who decided which way is up?

Welcome, to the real world...:eek:

main-qimg-591a0e0c80ec8f69c4909f7872ebcf7c-c

Jumi

A Canadian friend told me of school maps there, that show
Canada top center, red, and of course Mercator -huge.

Asia? Split in half, framing Canada to left and right.

Nobody could doubt, looking at that map that Canada
was the most important country.
In school we had those globes most of the time and just a country map of our own country as well as a geography book that included maps of every country, even the small island states. Then again, no matter how you put my country on a map it's tiny and everyone knew it. :D There was a comedy sketch about some Soviet generals not knowing where Finland was because it was tiny and there was something on top of our part of the map.

Audie

Veteran Member
In school we had those globes most of the time and just a country map of our own country as well as a geography book that included maps of every country, even the small island states. Then again, no matter how you put my country on a map it's tiny and everyone knew it. :D There was a comedy sketch about some Soviet generals not knowing where Finland was because it was tiny and there was something on top of our part of the map.

A thousand pities that those sons of evil ever
did figure out where your country is.