• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which translation of the Dhammapada would you recommend I buy?

punkdbass

I will be what I will be
Hello,

I've been studying a few chapters each day of the Dhammapada on a free mobile app I downloaded that has F. Max Muller's translation, which I think is a very readable translation. Anyhow, I'm very much enjoying this book and would like to buy a physical copy as well. Which translation would you recommend that is best suited for an English Westerner? These are the main ones I found on Amazon:

Translation by Gil Fronsdal - this one or Easwaren's translation seem to have the best reception on Amazon
The Dhammapada: A New Translation of the Buddhist Classic with Annotations: Gil Fronsdal: 9781590303801: Amazon.com: Books

Translation by Balangoda Ananda Maitreya
The Dhammapada: Balangoda Ananda Maitreya, Thich Nhat Hanh: 9780938077879: Amazon.com: Books

Translation by Eknath Easwaran
http://www.amazon.com/The-Dhammapad...TF8&qid=1387830363&sr=8-4&keywords=dhammapada

Translation by Thomas Byrom - this is a "pocket" version one?
Dhammapada (Shambhala Pocket Classics): Thomas Byrom: 9780877739661: Amazon.com: Books

If you guys know anything about the translation by Thomas Byrom, and recommend it, I might go with that one just because it is a pocket version that I could easily bring with me anywhere. Thanks

EDIT: I guess Thomas Byrom's translation doesn't have any annotation/commentary which most of the other ones do.. which would be nice.

Last edited:

Ablaze

Buddham Saranam Gacchami
In my reading, Gil Fronsdal's translation of the Dhammapada is top-notch and accessible to Westerners. Highly recommended.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
I'm unfortunately not familiar with Fronsdal's translation, but he is a great teacher. The physical copy I have is Muller's translation, which is descent.

Knight of Albion

I've always found the Juan Mascaro translation (Penguin) to be excellent and, to my mind, the one that best captures the true spirit of the Buddhist philosophy.