• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which sacred texts of your own and other traditions have you studied?

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Mmmmmm.....what do these people do on their weekends !
I go to the beach !

GoodbyeDave

Texts that would definitely be regarded as scriptures:
Bible
Bhagavad gita, Upanishads
Chaldean Oracles
Corpus Hermeticus

Religious texts not considered as inspired:
Canaanite myths
Dao de jing, Confucian classics
Greek myths
Japanese myths
Mesopotamian myths
Norse myths
Zohar, Yetzirah

and a few other odds and ends!

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I'm more attracted to comparing and understanding 'reform movements' (except perhaps Scientology) and their main differences between the older traditions.

So I'm interested in movements like Jainism, Buddhism, Ananda Marga and why they broke away from their religious environment but also in movements like New Kadampa Tradition and Triratna Buddhist Community and why they broke away from mainstream Buddhism or Seventh Day Adventists and Jehova Witnesses and why they broke away from mainstream Christianity.
Reform movements are okay, but personally I am more interested in older religions that have survived. There must be a reason they have withstood the test of time. Of course, there is always reform from withing, which is true reform. New religions are really more like revolutions than reform.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Maybe once I finish my religion's important writing, I'll have time for other religions'.
Nice to meet you, fellow yid. Shalom Aleichem

It is true that one can spend a lifetime studying the writings of the sages, and it is worthwhile -- one grows closer to Hashem. I can only encourage you.

I spent years in Orthodoxy, but as a woman, my efforts were more on creating a hospitable and kosher Jewish home (which I still do) than studying Talmud. And to be honest, the minutia did not appeal to me anyhow. I am more interested in daily practice, such as observing the 39 Melachot of Shabbat.

I think that studying comparative religion gives me an appreciation for Judaism that I otherwise would not have, and an understanding for the world in which I live. It's just another way to slice the same apple. I may study other religions, but my practice is Judaism, plain and simple. Judaism for Jews, other religions for other peoples.

I hope the High Holy Days were as meaningful to you as they were to me.

And given that it is Friday, Shabbat Shalom!
Indigo

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
New religions are really more like revolutions than reform.
It's funny you should say that because the founder of Ananda Marga called his movement a revolution (but not yet another religion) and not a reform movement because it claims to go back to the roots of spirituality rather than building on older (more recent) religious expressions.

But perhaps you were thinking more of things like Scientology or New Age types of movements.

Satyamavejayanti

Namaste,

I would say that i have "studied", which is have a somewhat in depth understanding of:

Rig Veda, Sukla Yajur Veda, Sama Veda and Atharva Veda (translations), and the Gita translations.

I have read (not exactly studied) and have a somewhat of a grasp on: some Major/Minor Upanishads, Tirukural, Kamasutra of Vatsyana, Sankhya Karika, Yoga Sutra.

And i have delved into and tried to understand: Mahabharatta, Ramayana, Satyarth Prakasha, Some Vivekananda works, Some Aurobindo works, But have read all of Rajiv Malhotra Works.

Also on and off selected reading of New Testament and Koran translations. I tried reading these cover to cover a couple of times now, but find these two to be most boring and shallow sorry to say, especially after reading the Kamasutra of Vatsyana and the more recent AngaRanga of Kalyana Malla, the Bible and Koran just don't stack up, i wount even compare The Abhamic texts to the AngaRanga let alone the Gita or Upanishads, The Anga Ranga being more interesting then the two.

Although i have read, i would still not remember much, and that is due to my bad memory.

Dhanyavad

Truth in love

Bible
Book of Mormon
Pearl of Great Price
Doctrine and Covenants
Popol Vuh
Dabbled with the Quran not read it all.
Tried some Hindu text on an app. It was not in English.
I’ve studied summaries of the teachings of many religions, but typically don’t take on the entire book.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
  • Hindu scriptures: the Bhagavad Gita, parts of the Rig Veda, parts of the puranas, Ramāyana, Mahābhārata.
  • Because I was born into and raised in Christianity, the Bible of course. As a Hindu I still reference it, mostly the "red letter" verses. The red letter verses are what Jesus spoke. I see a lot of the Bhagavad Gita and the birth and early childhood stories of Krishna (who came at least several centuries before Jesus) reflected in those of Jesus.
  • The Tao Te Ching.
  • The Hávamál.
  • Parts of Buddhist sutras.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Reading is often a struggle as my eyes will scan while my mind wanders elsewhere. It is quite frustrating. I'm good at skimming for information, as that lights up my reading faculties better than straight reading. Anything with a story is easier to read, although I still struggle to keep up with my eyes. I recognize the value of reading and of education, though I often avoid it.

I've read all of the NIV and part of the KJV, some NASB, some of the other versions. Aside from that I have read short pieces from other scriptures, translated to English.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
I have read all the standard cannon of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints except James E. Talmage's "Jesus the Christ" all the way through. We continue to get more and more periodically, so I'm not up on all of that.

I have read the entire Bible.

I have read probably most of the Torah in Hebrew (the 5 books), the Koran about 3 times, all the Raelian books, the Mahabarata, and I tried to read Dianetics and Buddhist Sutras. But I think I read Confusius.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Judaism:
The Torah
The Tanakh

Christianity:
The New Testament
The Didache
The Protoevangelum of James

Gnosticism:
The Gospel of Mary Magdalene

Hinduism:
The Bhagavad Gita
Some of the Upanishads
Devi Mahatmyam
Part of the Srimad Bhagavatam (It's long)
The Devi Gita
The Gopi Gita
The Ashtavakra Gita
The Ramayana
Parts of the Mahabharata
Parts of the Rigveda

Taoism:
The Tao Te Ching

Buddhism:
The Dhammapada

Islam:
Parts of the Quran