• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which Religions Do You Understand the Most?

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
Shout out to Sgt. Pepper who gave me the idea to create this thread.

I'm sure for many, in fact, most people, that the religion they are in now is the one they know and understand the most about. But I suspect for Sgt. Pepper he/she probably understands Christianity even more than his/her Wiccan beliefs.

I understand Exaltism very well, because I develop it every day. However with that being said my beliefs can be written down in one large essay and be done with. Yeah, sure, I keep updating it, putting my own spice into the language of my faith, but ultimately what I believe now is essentially the same as when I had the epiphany that occurred almost twenty years ago.

On the other hand, when I used to work I had long bus rides. I'm talking being on the bus for an hour before arriving to work. When that happened I would be listening and studying the Baha'i Faith. Not just the scripture either, but detailed history and accounts of the religion.

I understand 100% of Exaltism, that could be explained in a five-page essay, but I understand probably 35% of the Baha'i Faith, which its faith leader, Baha'u'llah, spent his whole life writing scripture and books to help people understand the faith. In fact, if I really thought about it I probably could tell you more about the Baha'is than my own Exaltism. Exaltism is a lifelong process that is being invented the longer I live however.

So even though I call myself an Exaltist, Exaltist Ethan, I know and probably understand the Baha'i Faith simply because there's so much more detail in that monotheistic religion. In fact, while I don't call myself Baha'i anymore, I can answer many questions that people have on the religion and on various topics of that Faith.

I know for most people the religion they are in is the religion they understand the most, but for people like Sgt. Pepper and myself, it seems we know more about what we previously practiced even more so than our current studies. So I bring this back to the reader. Which religions do you think you really know and understand well? What led you to study these religions if you never believed or no longer believe them?

I honestly probably know more about the Baha'i Faith than most Baha'is themselves, which is honestly one of the reasons why I left that religion. Most people don't fully understand the inconsistencies that Baha'u'llah left, such as knowing an unknowable God and those implications. It seems the people who are best at arguing against a religion are those who used to be a member of them.

I also know a fair amount of knowledge in a few other religions; Confucianism, several liberal and restorationist Christian denominations, Terasem and other Syntheist religions, a little bit about Islam and a broad understanding of theologies and various theologies within several religions.

Anyways, that's all I got to say on this. Let's hear your take on this topic. Feel free to discuss this below.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I have a fairly good understanding of Hinduism, as that is what I identify as. However, Hinduism is vast and you could spend your lifetime studying it and only cover the tip of the ice burg. I am always learning more.

I have good working knowledge of general Paganism, as I spent most of my life as a Pagan.

I have a general concept of Buddhism, but don't necessarily know enough to consider myself very educated on the topic.

I know little of the Abrahamic faiths. Of the 4, I know the most about Islam, and know more about it than your average 30something year old American, but am far from knowledgeable on the topic.

Viker

Häxan
Christianity (American protestant style)
Wicca/neo-paganism.
Satanism ( Laveyan and theistic).
Demonolatry/Diabolatry/Diabolism.
Luciferianism.
My own, In Diabolica which is rooted in and grown out from those last four.

Exaltist Ethan

I have a fairly good understanding of Hinduism, as that is what I identify as. However, Hinduism is vast and you could spend your lifetime studying it and only cover the tip of the ice burg. I am always learning more.

I don't think I could ever understand Hinduism. For exactly what you've said in this paragraph: there's just too much to know. Thousands of Gods, several sects and language that always confused me. I've attempted to try to understand Hinduism in the past but the closer I get to its spiritual source the more confused it gets me.

On the other hand, while I can somewhat understand Buddhism I've rejected most of its teachings. In fact, some Buddhist beliefs seem to be diametrically opposed to everything I understand in my own studies.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think I could ever understand Hinduism. For exactly what you've said in this paragraph: there's just too much to know. Thousands of Gods, several sects and language that always confused me. I've attempted to try to understand Hinduism in the past but the closer I get to its spiritual source the more confused it gets me.

On the other hand, while I can somewhat understand Buddhism I've rejected most of its teachings. In fact, some Buddhist beliefs seem to be diametrically opposed to everything I understand in my own studies.

The thing with Hinduism is, its a blanket term. Once you realize that, its easier to study, as you can pick what part of it you're wishing to learn about. Shaktism? Ayurveda? Jyotish? Vedanta? Coming at it from that angle makes things more approachable, in my opinion.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
To quote @Rival ...

Judaism, Christianity, somewhat about Islam.

And my own religion, Kemeticism.

... excluding, of course Kemetism. Actually, I originally thought that Kemetism was a typo and that Kermitism was intended, but I could not for the life of me understand what would be so attractive about frog worship. Clearly I was wrong.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
The thing with Hinduism is, its a blanket term. Once you realize that, its easier to study, as you can pick what part of it you're wishing to learn about. Shaktism? Ayurveda? Jyotish? Vedanta? Coming at it from that angle makes things more approachable, in my opinion.
For me it's getting around the Sanskirt. I'm terrible with non-English languages, so admittedly a lot of those words blend together for me like a form of dyslexia unless I see them used often enough. I just need more patience :D

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
For me it's getting around the Sanskirt. I'm terrible with non-English languages, so admittedly a lot of those words blend together for me like a form of dyslexia unless I see them used often enough. I just need more patience :D

Sometimes some of the Sanskrit gets me, too, but rest assured, the more you encounter the term, the more familiar you'll be with it until you don't even notice it anymore.

danieldemol

Premium Member
I know a lot about the Bahai Faith having lived it learned it and loved it till I rejected it.

I know enough about Judaism, Christianity and Islam to have recognised their human origins.

Other than that I'm mostly still learning.

Being forgetful i often have to learn again what i have learnt in the past.

In my opinion.

Exaltist Ethan

Being forgetful i often have to learn again what i have learnt in the past.

Same here. I am subscribed to Religion for Breakfast on YouTube and I recently watched videos on Confucianism that YouTube had let me know based on the red bar below the video that I actually watched those videos before. I then remembered that I had watched those videos years ago, when they were first released, but when I re-watched them it felt like I watching them for the first time. Thankfully, however, Confucianism is easy for me to understand. :D

I actually agree with most of Confucianism too...

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Shout out to Sgt. Pepper who gave me the idea to create this thread.

I'm sure for many, in fact, most people, that the religion they are in now is the one they know and understand the most about. But I suspect for Sgt. Pepper he/she probably understands Christianity even more than his/her Wiccan beliefs.

I understand Exaltism very well, because I develop it every day. However with that being said my beliefs can be written down in one large essay and be done with. Yeah, sure, I keep updating it, putting my own spice into the language of my faith, but ultimately what I believe now is essentially the same as when I had the epiphany that occurred almost twenty years ago.

On the other hand, when I used to work I had long bus rides. I'm talking being on the bus for an hour before arriving to work. When that happened I would be listening and studying the Baha'i Faith. Not just the scripture either, but detailed history and accounts of the religion.

I understand 100% of Exaltism, that could be explained in a five-page essay, but I understand probably 35% of the Baha'i Faith, which its faith leader, Baha'u'llah, spent his whole life writing scripture and books to help people understand the faith. In fact, if I really thought about it I probably could tell you more about the Baha'is than my own Exaltism. Exaltism is a lifelong process that is being invented the longer I live however.

So even though I call myself an Exaltist, Exaltist Ethan, I know and probably understand the Baha'i Faith simply because there's so much more detail in that monotheistic religion. In fact, while I don't call myself Baha'i anymore, I can answer many questions that people have on the religion and on various topics of that Faith.

I know for most people the religion they are in is the religion they understand the most, but for people like Sgt. Pepper and myself, it seems we know more about what we previously practiced even more so than our current studies. So I bring this back to the reader. Which religions do you think you really know and understand well? What led you to study these religions if you never believed or no longer believe them?

I honestly probably know more about the Baha'i Faith than most Baha'is themselves, which is honestly one of the reasons why I left that religion. Most people don't fully understand the inconsistencies that Baha'u'llah left, such as knowing an unknowable God and those implications. It seems the people who are best at arguing against a religion are those who used to be a member of them.
I also know a fair amount of knowledge in a few other religions; Confucianism, several liberal and restorationist Christian denominations, Terasem and other Syntheist religions, a little bit about Islam and a broad understanding of theologies and various theologies within several religions.

Anyways, that's all I got to say on this. Let's hear your take on this topic. Feel free to discuss this below.

I have studied about most religions, but I am most versed in Christianity. I am pretty fluent in Paganism.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
My understanding of religions (according to how well I understand them):
Hinduism
Budhism, Sikhism
Bahai and other Abrahamic religions, Zoroastrianism
Jainism, Judaism

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Primarily Christian, with a handle on Protestantism and Catholicism mostly.

In terms of religious history, rather than theology, I have a decent handle on Orthodoxy, Islam and Judaism in some eras, and somewhat with Zoroastrianism, but am far from generally well informed. Still, religious history often has a low bar in terms of people's understandings, and is often blended or mistaken for theology.

Otherwise, I have a smattering around a range of older religions, including some Native American beliefs, and some of the pagan religions of Europe.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Christianity (especially Catholicism and Orthodoxy), Islam, Hellenic paganism, Germanic paganism, Shaktism (especially the worship of Kali), Mahayana Buddhism, Satanism and Luciferianism. I know a bit about Aztec religion, too, since I've always found it fascinating.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I see that shows a significant, nearly complete lack of understanding as to what Baha'u'llah offered on that topic, not a greater knowledge.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And yet I said I only knew 35% of it. Much of it still alludes me to this day.

The teachings about God being exalted above all knowledge is a concept given since the beginning of Faith. It is explained in a lot greater detail in the Baha'i Writings.

To understand what Baha'u'llah offered all humanity, the following quote was the advice given.

To all that choose to read, Immersing oneself in the ocean of God's Word is required.

THE world’s equilibrium hath been upset through the vibrating influence of this most great, this new World Order. Mankind’s ordered life hath been revolutionized through the agency of this unique, this wondrous System—the like of which mortal eyes have never witnessed.
Immerse yourselves in the ocean of My words, that ye may unravel its secrets, and discover all the pearls of wisdom that lie hid in its depths. Take heed that ye do not vacillate in your determination to embrace the truth of this Cause—a Cause through which the potentialities of the might of God have been revealed, and His sovereignty established. With faces beaming with joy, hasten ye unto Him. This is the changeless Faith of God, eternal in the past, eternal in the future. Let him that seeketh, attain it; and as to him that hath refused to seek it—verily, God is Self-Sufficient, above any need of His creatures.
Say: This is the infallible Balance which the Hand of God is holding, in which all who are in the heavens and all who are on the earth are weighed, and their fate determined, if ye be of them that believe and recognize this truth. Say: Through it the poor have been enriched, the learned enlightened, and the seekers enabled to ascend unto the presence of God. Beware, lest ye make it a cause of dissension amongst you. Be ye as firmly settled as the immovable mountain in the Cause of your Lord, the Mighty, the Loving

Always happy to discuss and in that way we all find more meaning.

Regards Tony