• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which religions do you join together?

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Christianity and Islam? Wicca and Druidry? Judaism and Buddhism? Do any of you take 2 or more religions and combine their beliefs to at least take some beliefs from each religion to come up with your own thoughts?
Find it like the knights of the round table, each sees a perspective of the whole.

A Zen Daoist is like a Jedi with the Force. :innocent:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Not that you should take me at my word or anything, but I am pretty sure that this is indeed the Syncretic Religions DiR :)

The way I understand it, it basically means that this is a safehouse for people who make a point of joining religions and do not want to be bothered by people who feel that they should not.

The matter could be brought to, say, one of the debate areas, of course.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I think this is a very interesting post and am rather saddened by the lack of response. I wonder, do some people here think that combining religious ideas are a mistake?

No. Its just direspectul to native religions with whom value in their faith and practices are best undersrood as a unit within that community and not as parts.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaste , ...

the title Syncretic has allways seemed to be a little ambigious , on one hand it can be used to impy being selective or eclectic , ....which l fear might be potentialy dangerous , ...

or to mean that aspects of two fiaths seem to run concurrent in holding to the same one truth , ....this is how I feel about many faiths particularly for my self Buddhism and Sanatana Dharma.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Interesting. I would expect the two to be close enough for actual syncretism to be difficult to perceive. Would you like to comment on that, @Thirza Fallen ?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Not that you should take me at my word or anything, but I am pretty sure that this is indeed the Syncretic Religions DiR :)

The way I understand it, it basically means that this is a safehouse for people who make a point of joining religions and do not want to be bothered by people who feel that they should not.

The matter could be brought to, say, one of the debate areas, of course.

Maybe redefine the DIR for people who scrynize their faiths instead of a couple of people and myself who have one faith (or worldview) regardless our practices?

I dont know. The term isn't distint like, say, polytheism. Even that....

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Interesting. I would expect the two to be close enough for actual syncretism to be difficult to perceive. Would you like to comment on that, @Thirza Fallen ?

Well, Quakerism is very practical I think, adhering to a life of simplicity (not being materialistic), peace, integrity, equality and community. It doesn't really call attention to itself. I do it because it's good for society, IMO.

Osal

I'm Tibetan Buddhist / Apatheistic Methodist with a splash of Vermouth, garnished with Native American spiritual sensibilities.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Well, Quakerism is very practical I think, adhering to a life of simplicity (not being materialistic), peace, integrity, equality and community. It doesn't really call attention to itself. I do it because it's good for society, IMO.
Quakerism, "adhering to....community"? How does that work, exactly? They used to be non-conformists, as they were once persecuted by the majority. Right? Has that changed?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I tend to mix Zen Buddhism with various elements of Taoism (Daoism). It seems to suffice well on a personal level.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Quakerism, "adhering to....community"? How does that work, exactly? They used to be non-conformists, as they were once persecuted by the majority. Right? Has that changed?

Getting out into the community and helping others. I guess their liberalism put them at odds with other Christians during certain times in history, but not currently.