• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which religion are my beliefs closest to?

Muffled

Jesus in me
You seem to have a quite utilitarian view about metaphysical claims.

Well, this the old dilemma.

Should we strive for things, or tolerate things, that make people happy, or for things that we consider true, no matter what the costs are?

Ciao

- viole

I believe it is my belief that different beliefs often lead to separation. So if his goal is to be happy without the girlfriend then he can insist on his own church. Usually a church will accept a person who is still seeking knowledge and a deist will fit into any church but not as a member.

arthra

Baha'i
Hello, new to these forums, I joined so I can try to understand my beliefs and where they fit into the various religions, or indeed where they don't!

My apologies if this is in the wrong section.

So first I'll give you a quick run over my religious history. I've grown up in an Atheist family and my parents and grandparents generally frowned upon religion. They did however encourage a healthy interest in the outdoors and that's had a big influence on me.

My first genuine foray into religion was Theistic Satanism. I was 16 and was (and still am) very interested in the occult, anything dark and mysterious attracts me. I researched into it, found several "spells" and even performed a few of them, in particular I remember evoking (if that's the correct term), Asmodeus, who is one of the 7 princes of hell and represents the sin of Lust.

Yep I was that sorta teen :)

After that I drifted from Satanism and a few months later began to get very interested in Paganism. Norse Paganism is what drew me in, I knew a number of the Gods already from TV shows or Books and the idea of Valhalla appealed to me. I never truly felt a deep connection to it though, as I always felt strange to try and practice another cultures faith (I'm British). Around the same time I also gained an interest in Greek Paganism, though again the culture gap prevented me from properly getting into it.

A short while after that I came to my belief that God, is not a particular individual deity, but rather a underlying force that is in everything. I suppose like Mother Nature? This force has been represented by many different "gods" throughout the ages, but ultimately is one underlying power. I'm not decided as to whether he/she/it is sentient or not.

So to recap, my only serious religion thus far was Satanism, I'd developed an interest in Paganism and gained one of my core beliefs.

Last year I met my Girlfriend and she's a Christian, though certainly not an overly devout person. I guess casual Christian is the right term? She occasionally goes to bible study groups, helps out at her local church and prays. Her mother is also Christian but is much more religious. This made me think about Christianity more and I recently looked into the bible. I find it interesting, to me it seems very much like story rather than a sacred text. I did enjoy reading the small amount I've read so far.

I've been to Christian Church's several times, on Remembrance Day and other days like that and I've never gotten into it, finding it to be rather long and dull.

That's pretty much my brief history with religion, I'll now get onto my main beliefs.

I've already mentioned that I believe God to be a single force that resides in everything. I do pray now and then. Death isn't the end and I do believe there's something after it. I think that if you have enough belief in where you go after death, then you shall go there.

God doesn't have direct power over us, rather an influence, that can be requested via prayer to assist you or others.

I believe one should do in his or hers life that which makes them happy, improves them and strives for perfection, though not at the expense of others. That we should make the most of our very short lives and try to make even a small impact on the world, our communities or our families.

I know it might not be much at the minute, but this is merely the start of me digging into my religious side. I'm very open to questions, there's probably a lot I've forgotten to post so I'd appreciate questions, advice or criticism.

Many thanks,

Weeping Raven.
Weeping... Welcome!

Your next search might be exploring how faith can change the world we live in for the better!

Best wishes!

Underhill

I think all religion is like a diaper. You get out what you put in but in the end it's all just poo...

But that's just my 2 cents. Do what makes you happy.

miodrag

You are the most close to agnostics. Since they don't have a clue about God ;) Thing with knowing God is that it goes hand in hand with knowing yourself. And you seem to be searching for your identity. Asking around "do I remind you of someone?" won't help. That is not the way. Sure, inquire, read, associate with different people, start as an eclectic - gradually you will find your way. For it was told "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you". There are two main ways of becoming religious. One is through a family or society. Even without an urge, or inner call, one was introduced or initiated into local tradition. Another way is when even without being so enthusiastic about spirituality, one day you come across a person who's presence leaves a striking impression on you. And you recognize "that is it!" and you follow his example, since it was your self-to -be that you recognized in someone else. So travel, or maybe watch Youtube?

When I was young, I couldn't have cared less about God. I only knew I could be more then what I was. All I wanted was self-realization. But, if you are doing it right, God-realization comes automatically. My path was yoga, so that is all I can share. One of the first steps in yoga is about qualifications, about who can start doing yoga at all. One qualification is ishvara-pranidhana or worshiping God. Note that there are many gods in India, and that the author of the above requirement had not said Vishnu-pranidhana or Shiva-pranidhana etc. No one should program you what to become. Since the path of yoga means that you are discovering who you are and simultaneously deciding what you want to become. And that is your exclusive right, it is between you and God. That is why yoga is universal and common for so different spiritual goals, like Buddhism and Hinduism. Yoga is about rituals for self-realization. I say rituals, since Satanism or paganism are usually about desiring power, through rituals. Yoga also can give powers, but that can be a trap.

God doesn't have direct power over us, rather an influence, that can be requested via prayer to assist you or others.

All your speculations about God or even about yourself may turn out to be silly, the moment you get an experience. Practice first, theology later.

I believe one should do in his or hers life that which makes them happy...

Oh, no. You should do what is right, even if that does not make you happy. That is Bhagavad-gita classic: prince Arjuna is on the battlefield, between two armies. He is desperate, since his friends and relatives are on both sides. Not only he do not want to fight them, but he would give his life for them. And yet, the battle is about to begin. No outcome could make him happy...

Weeping Raven

One lost Raven
Oooo, I've had my thread featured :) :) :)

Sorry if I miss any of your replies in my responses, I have read them all and will be looking into the things y'all suggested. Cheers!

I believe opinions may be helpful.

I don't believe that is allowed on here but I would venture to say that a person does not know what it means to be a Christian by going to a Christian church or by reading a little of the Bible unless one finds the right verses of course. I believe in order to have a healthy relationship with his girlfriend he should go to Bible Study with her.

I believe a deist would be most comfortable in A Universalist Church but for the sake of unity with the girlfriend I suggest learning how to adapt to her church which I am guessing is the Church of England.

Religion doesn't often come up in conversation between us. She knows I used to be a Satanist and was fine with it. She also asked fairly early on in our relationship as to whether her faith would be an issue, I said no and we've never had an problems about it or arguments arise over it. I've been to church with her once and I enjoyed the experience. Yes it is Church of England. I would very much like to understand and read more of the bible and will talk to her about possibly coming along to her next bible study.

Weeping... Welcome!

Your next search might be exploring how faith can change the world we live in for the better!

Best wishes!

Thank you for the reply and the suggestion, I shall add that to my growing list of things to look into. :)

You are the most close to agnostics. Since they don't have a clue about God ;) Thing with knowing God is that it goes hand in hand with knowing yourself. And you seem to be searching for your identity. Asking around "do I remind you of someone?" won't help. That is not the way. Sure, inquire, read, associate with different people, start as an eclectic - gradually you will find your way. For it was told "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you". There are two main ways of becoming religious. One is through a family or society. Even without an urge, or inner call, one was introduced or initiated into local tradition. Another way is when even without being so enthusiastic about spirituality, one day you come across a person who's presence leaves a striking impression on you. And you recognize "that is it!" and you follow his example, since it was your self-to -be that you recognized in someone else. So travel, or maybe watch Youtube?

When I was young, I couldn't have cared less about God. I only knew I could be more then what I was. All I wanted was self-realization. But, if you are doing it right, God-realization comes automatically. My path was yoga, so that is all I can share. One of the first steps in yoga is about qualifications, about who can start doing yoga at all. One qualification is ishvara-pranidhana or worshiping God. Note that there are many gods in India, and that the author of the above requirement had not said Vishnu-pranidhana or Shiva-pranidhana etc. No one should program you what to become. Since the path of yoga means that you are discovering who you are and simultaneously deciding what you want to become. And that is your exclusive right, it is between you and God. That is why yoga is universal and common for so different spiritual goals, like Buddhism and Hinduism. Yoga is about rituals for self-realization. I say rituals, since Satanism or paganism are usually about desiring power, through rituals. Yoga also can give powers, but that can be a trap.

All your speculations about God or even about yourself may turn out to be silly, the moment you get an experience. Practice first, theology later.

Oh, no. You should do what is right, even if that does not make you happy. That is Bhagavad-gita classic: prince Arjuna is on the battlefield, between two armies. He is desperate, since his friends and relatives are on both sides. Not only he do not want to fight them, but he would give his life for them. And yet, the battle is about to begin. No outcome could make him happy...

Yes I think in a way I am searching not just for a better understanding of my beliefs, but also myself, I want to understand myself and look deeper into why I believe the things I do, as well as discover more of my beliefs along the way.

Thank you much for the reply, I find this to be very interesting and thought provoking.

Last edited:

Baroodi

You need to have deep thoughtful reading about all religions with define scriptures. It is a long journey of thousands of mile, your question here is the first step in this journey

Weeping Raven

One lost Raven
You need to have deep thoughtful reading about all religions with define scriptures. It is a long journey of thousands of mile, your question here is the first step in this journey

Thanks for the reply!

Definitely want to read as many different Scriptures and Holy books as I can, I'm starting with the Bible as today I got a copy from my local library, a King James Version.