• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

which pagan religion makes most sense to you?

Faint

I like Astatru because it promotes men acting manly. And I like Dianaic Wicca because their deitie(s (the ultimate symbol of perfection) are not male.

But over all, I must say that Burning Man is my favorite pagan religion.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Despite the efforts of some particularly nasty people in history to expropriate the symbols and ideas, I confess to being a closet Asatru. ;)

Failing that, I'd go for a Celtic form of paganism, probably Druid.

BFD_Zayl

well, naturally i choose mine, it makes the most sense to me since i practice it...after that i would have to say Asatru

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
divine said:
"Unitarian Universalist" is a "skunk word"? :confused:

Well, I generally tend to mean the neo-Pagan/Wiccan/earth-based traditions when I use/see the word "Pagan," because that's what is generally meant by others when they use the word (at least in the circles that I run). Tho part of me is unhappy with that because when it comes to earth-based traditions, I don't see why Celtic/European traditions should be favored over those in other parts of the world. Earth-based traditions have originated in every part of the world.

I suppose the "Pagan" "religion" that makes the most sense to me is the one that I created by taking Taoist and Native American symbols and applying them to a neo-Pagan/Wiccan framework. A complete bastardization of everything involved, I admit. But then again, nothing is "pure" anymore anyway. I have no ties to the Norse or Greek/Roman or Egyptian pantheons so those gods/goddesses mean nothing to me personally. Whereas I do feel ties to both China and North America, and earth-based/seasonal traditions make a lot of sense because they are based on objective criteria. The only holy days that I truly personally observe are the solstices and equinoxes for that reason.

kai

ragamuffin
I dont think any of it "makes sense" some pagan religion might be more attractive to you than another but theyare all as spock would say "illogical"

Booko

Deviled Hen
Zephyr said:
I feel so loved! Thank you all. Asatru for the win.

What can I say? I've always had a soft spot for the Norse pantheon. Must be the Dutch side of the family. ;)

It just always rang true for me, for no reason I could possibly explain.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
kai said:
I dont think any of it "makes sense" some pagan religion might be more attractive to you than another but theyare all as spock would say "illogical"

I'm not sure if they would be any more or less illogical than any other religion. (Actually, some of them are atheistic in nature, so if one were to go down that route, one could say they're more 'logical.')

For me, Dianic paganism appeals most. I enjoy that it encourages the practitioner to think for themselves and to respect the respectable in other traditions, as well.

Zephyr

Moved on
One thing I like about Asatru is that it's so blunt. Lots of people might think about the afterlife, but with us, it's just "Don't worry about. You're work isn't done here yet."

There's really no worship involved either. The gods are more like family than God. They are flawed too and deserve respect but not worship.

As Faint said, it does kind of uphold gender roles. Not suprising since it's based so directly on the ancient Norse religion (the amount of research done is amazing). Sure the guy who wrote up our eddas may have been a Christian, but it looks like he did at least a suitable job.:shrug:

The reverance for ancestors and holding on to culture is pretty nice too.

Lastly, never forget the best part: Asatruar get all the good metal. 'Cept maybe the Finnish folk. They get some good stuff too. They're pretty close to us though.

Bishka

Veteran Member
I would have to go with the Celtic form of Paganism.

At one point in my life I called my self a Christian Wiccan.