• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which one is the Great Spirit?

agorman

Premium Member
Odin or Týr? Which one do you think is the Great Spirit?

Twice happened to me that I was in bed, tried repeating "Great Spirit, bless me" for a while and I saw a Tiwaz rune in yellow light with my eyes closed. It was clairvoyance; not a dream or imagination, but a Tiwaz of actual light while I was awake (which is odd, because I'm not clairvoyant AFAIK).

So although Odin is called the Allfather, I wonder if he's the Demiurge and Týr is the Source; the Great Spirit. BTW, I'm not saying "Demiurge" with contempt. Nowadays I'm in a very sui generis Christianity and I believe the "Father" might be the same as the "Allfather".

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
The Great Spirit of... what? The highest god? There's really no such thing in Heathenry. Tyr was the chieftain of the Aesir tribe, and then it passed to Odin. Odin was named "All-father" more as an attempt to parallel to the Christian god during the Christianization of Scandinavia.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
I know of the linguistic connections. But still, so far as Heathenry goes, there isn't really a "Great God" above all the others. Even Odin was taught things by others, and bested by others.

That said, though, the Tyr rune is associated with none other than Tyr.

Aldrnari

I know of the linguistic connections. But still, so far as Heathenry goes, there isn't really a "Great God" above all the others. Even Odin was taught things by others, and bested by others.

That said, though, the Tyr rune is associated with none other than Tyr.

The link was more for Agorman, since I'm not sure if he was aware of that connection.

You're right though, of course. The Germanic gods are way more complex than anything that can be pieced together from linguistic reconstruction from times that far back. :)