• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which one is a Cult? A or B?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Because evolution is a process, not a statement of ultimate causation. We generally know why and how life forms change over time, but we do not know with any certainty whatsoever how that process started, which definitely leaves lotsa room for Divine creation.

I consider them also to be people of faith, but who am I to judge what decisions God will make in that regard.

Frankly, I find myself more in line with some in other religions than I do with some in Christianity.
I understand your position, however, and it's a big however, Jesus told his followers to preach. About him. His early followers in many cases literally gave up their lives to preach. Also, as you probably know, the keys were given to open the door to those who were not introduced to the Christ.

YoursTrue

Moses did not at all likely write the Flood narrative, which seems to have more than one author, btw.

Again, a "myth" is not a "fabrication" in the negative sense of that word. It's to tell a story with morals and possibly other teachings. Jesus' parables are myths, thus it doesn't make a difference whether they occurred in real life. It's the teachings behind the parables that count.

Yes, although my approach to that may be different than yours as I use contemplative meditation on the Bible every day of the week as well as durimg the readings and prayers at mass.

Sorry-- gotta go until tomorrow.
OK, thanks for your answer. I've been busy as well, nice talking with you.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I understand your position, however, and it's a big however, Jesus told his followers to preach. About him. His early followers in many cases literally gave up their lives to preach. Also, as you probably know, the keys were given to open the door to those who were not introduced to the Christ.

Of course they did, but please do remember that Jesus said "I came to serve, not to be served". IOW, it's all about his message to "love one another" and to "love God"-- it's that simple.

pearl

Again, a "myth" is not a "fabrication" in the negative sense of that word. It's to tell a story with morals and possibly other teachings. Jesus' parables are myths, thus it doesn't make a difference whether they occurred in real life. It's the teachings behind the parables that count.

Just butting in, it is my understanding that both myth and parable have its own genre. The parable uses familiar life situations, while myth relays a profound truth that defies explanation.

metis

Just butting in, it is my understanding that both myth and parable have its own genre. The parable uses familiar life situations, while myth relays a profound truth that defies explanation.
That could very well be, but I don't see much of even a hair's breath difference between the two definitions. IOW, the purpose of both is to teach lessons that need not be taken as literal events.

Thanks for your input as I have never heard that before. See, maybe this old dog can learn new tricks.

But will I remember tomorrow? :(

pearl

That could very well be, but I don't see much of even a hair's breath difference between the two definitions. IOW, the purpose of both is to teach lessons that need not be taken as literal events.

I had in mind the parable of the 'Good Samaritan', all the characters and circumstances were familiar to the audience, and requiring a decision on their part.

YoursTrue

Of course they did, but please do remember that Jesus said "I came to serve, not to be served". IOW, it's all about his message to "love one another" and to "love God"-- it's that simple.
But then the question. Aside from going into his stand on religion or religious teachers, some of which he condemned, what about his concept of love? Let's say that's true...to love one's neighbor as oneself, whew! That's a big concept. When he replaced the ear of the one arresting him, is there a lesson there? I believe there is. He said he who fights by the sword will die by the sword. If I heard that, I'd certainly take that as a powerful reprimand and lesson.

YoursTrue

Thanks for your input as I have never heard that before. See, maybe this old dog can learn new tricks.

Wasn't that a song? Will you still love me tomorrow?

YoursTrue

Honest...he didn't indicate that his mention of what happened with so many drowning as a judgment in Noah's day as a myth or fable. I mean to say that if he thought it was a fable or even if he didn't but was misled makes him out to be not who he said he was. Which of course the religious leaders accused him of anyway. I understand your position. I've made a choice.

YoursTrue

Jesus also said:
"The Scriptures say,‘ You must worship the Lord your God
and serve only him."

YoursTrue

I had in mind the parable of the 'Good Samaritan', all the characters and circumstances were familiar to the audience, and requiring a decision on their part.
They knew what he was talking about. They had to look into their beliefs to make a decision, as you say.

metis

But then the question. Aside from going into his stand on religion or religious teachers, some of which he condemned, what about his concept of love? Let's say that's true...to love one's neighbor as oneself, whew! That's a big concept. When he replaced the ear of the one arresting him, is there a lesson there? I believe there is. He said he who fights by the sword will die by the sword. If I heard that, I'd certainly take that as a powerful reprimand and lesson.
Did I post anything different than that?

metis

Honest...he didn't indicate that his mention of what happened with so many drowning as a judgment in Noah's day as a myth or fable.
First of all, I didn't say "fable", so why did you throw that "red herring" in? "Myth", in a theological context, does not mean nor imply "fable".

I mean to say that if he thought it was a fable or even if he didn't but was misled makes him out to be not who he said he was
Again, you're slipped into a "red herring" mode, thus having me say something I never said nor implied. Do you understand how frustrating that is?

I understand your position.
You very clearly don't.

YoursTrue

Which I try my best to do, so what's your point?
I am not saying what you do or don't do. But I understood you to say that one's main mission is to serve others. Yet Jesus did say that we must serve God alone. I don't know what that means to you, but to me it means that the service toward God is above all, including the service to man. And Jesus said that we must serve God alone. Again -- therefore -- it's context, context, context. Service to God must mean service to man also. But seems the top of the reasoning is to serve God above all. So again -- combining love and service to man and God is a qualified recognition. Before I became a believer (take Amazing Grace as a signature) a preacher told me (I was looking for God) that only God can help me. I did not join his religion, but at first I did not absorb that but for me it became true. :)

YoursTrue

First of all, I didn't say "fable", so why did you throw that "red herring" in? "Myth", in a theological context, does not mean nor imply "fable".

Again, you're slipped into a "red herring" mode, thus having me say something I never said nor implied. Do you understand how frustrating that is?

You very clearly don't.
Let's go over something, so I clearly understand, if possible, what you are saying or implying. Do you believe that Jesus referred to the Flood of Noah's time as a reality, or was he referencing a myth? In order for me to really understand your position, I do have a couple of questions for you.

YoursTrue

And consider what a stretch it was, the hated Samaritan was the 'good' guy.
Those opposing him did not much like his criticism. :) Of course, the subject is about love also in that illustration.

Dogknox20

Let's go over something, so I clearly understand, if possible, what you are saying or implying. Do you believe that Jesus referred to the Flood of Noah's time as a reality, or was he referencing a myth? In order for me to really understand your position, I do have a couple of questions for you.

I point out ...There are other stories of a Great Flood other then in the bible! And.. The Sphinx (Lion) in Egypt archeologists say; the wear on it is believed to come from water!

YoursTrue

I point out ...There are other stories of a Great Flood other then in the bible! And.. The Sphinx (Lion) in Egypt archeologists say; the wear on it is believed to come from water!
I'm willing to look at this but I was speaking to @metis about Jesus and how he referred to Noah and the Flood. If he spoke about a myth or was he talking about something that really happened.