• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which one is a Cult? A or B?

Brian2

Veteran Member
:)
I think so. I want to be who I am, not who somebody else is, anyway. (I might like to improve...<g>) I just saw a video tonight I think you might like: It's about the resurrection to come. I hope you enjoy it.
The New World to Come | JW.ORG Original Songs | Lyrics

Unfortunately I have no audio on my computer at the moment and it can be quite frustrating when it comes to listening to things I would like to listen to.
I do have trouble with the JW idea of resurrection as you probably know. Unless there is something that is me which goes from one body to the next, the "resurrected" person is just a copy of me, and God could produce multiple copies, none of which would be me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,or with the JW view, all of them would be me.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Unfortunately I have no audio on my computer at the moment and it can be quite frustrating when it comes to listening to things I would like to listen to.
I do have trouble with the JW idea of resurrection as you probably know. Unless there is something that is me which goes from one body to the next, the "resurrected" person is just a copy of me, and God could produce multiple copies, none of which would be me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,or with the JW view, all of them would be me.
Let's try again, using scripture. Jesus said that God knows every hair on our head. Now again, let's say I get a hair transplant. Is it my hair? Does it belong to me? Would I be happy if the transplant is good? Per the resurrection, would I know I've been resurrected? I would think so. If one was blind before and then could see, would his happiness be more than his doubt that his new eyesight belongs to him? :) oh yes, our bodies disintegrate when we die. Do you think God knows who we are?

Brian2

Veteran Member
Let's try again, using scripture. Jesus said that God knows every hair on our head. Now again, let's say I get a hair transplant. Is it my hair? Does it belong to me? Would I be happy if the transplant is good? Per the resurrection, would I know I've been resurrected? I would think so. If one was blind before and then could see, would his happiness be more than his doubt that his new eyesight belongs to him? :) oh yes, our bodies disintegrate when we die. Do you think God knows who we are?

God knows who we are and knows our thoughts before we think them and can give us a resurrection body that works much better than out now body and that is incorruptible and immortal and able to be controlled by our spirit, a spiritual body. And I imagine we will be happy with it and consider it our body.

Brian2

Veteran Member
That is certainly something to ponder over. So I am inclined to ask why you say that because I'd like to look into it more.

There are verses in the Bible which suggest if not outright tell us that. Just what that means in practice might be open to opinion. Does God for example know what everything looks like from every angle at every instant in time?

Brian2

Veteran Member

How would I know that I am not just a copy of someone if I know God could make multiples of me who all think they are me?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
That is certainly something to ponder over. So I am inclined to ask why you say that because I'd like to look into it more.
Things like miscarriages, serious birth defects, children dying at birth, hurricanes, tsunamis, etc. that kill innocent people, cannot be part of a loving God's plan.

Therefore, I believe we need a paradigm shift.

YoursTrue

Things like miscarriages, serious birth defects, children dying at birth, hurricanes, tsunamis, etc. that kill innocent people, cannot be part of a loving God's plan.

Therefore, I believe we need a paradigm shift.
Oh. (Ok) So you don't believe that death is the penalty imposed upon Adam and Eve? I realize you believe in evolution (I think you do at least, yes I make mistakes, but I think you believe in evolution, not creation by God of the life force allowed, yes allowed, to their offspring).

Brian2

Veteran Member
Oh. (Ok) So you don't believe that death is the penalty imposed upon Adam and Eve? I realize you believe in evolution (I think you do at least, yes I make mistakes, but I think you believe in evolution, not creation by God of the life force allowed, yes allowed, to their offspring).

God finished His creation on day 6. Life gets passed on from parents to children.

metis

Oh. (Ok) So you don't believe that death is the penalty on Adam and Eve?
Only as a "myth" [story to teach the basic Judaic concepts of monotheism and accountablity to God in this case-- possibly a rebuttal of the polytheistic Babylonian creation narratives].

I realize you believe in evolution (I think you do at least, yes I make mistakes, but I think you believe in evolution, not creation by God of the life force allowed, yes allowed, to their offspring).
One does not contradict the other as has been explained many many times here. Matter of fact, a survey of Christian theologians conducted several decades ago found that about 70% believe in God and accept the ToE, but only as long as it's viewed that God was behind it all.

YoursTrue

Only as a "myth" [story to teach the basic Judaic concepts of monotheism and accountablity to God in this case-- possibly a rebuttal of the polytheistic Babylonian creation narratives].

One does not contradict the other as has been explained many many times here. Matter of fact, a survey of Christian theologians conducted several decades ago found that about 70% believe in God and accept the ToE, but only as long as it's viewed that God was behind it all.
See, I'm not sure what everyone believes about evolution, including those who say they believe in God and also evolution. They'd have to explain to me what they believe about that.
I realize you are interested in religion, not exactly sure how, what, and why, but -- I wonder, let's say, if you believe that Christianity is compatible with Hinduism or Buddhism. Just two examples.

YoursTrue

Which leads me to another question for you -- So if it's a myth explaining about death for humans in particular, do you believe there is life after death? (Sometimes in Christian parlance called a resurrection?) Or would you say that's all there is -- kaput for life, the end, like one steps on a roach -- the whole account about the miracles, Jesus life-force coming from heaven -- all a contrived story, such as taking off on something, a myth?

YoursTrue

A rebuttal, you say. So do you believe that the account about Moses is a fabrication? May I ask you a question -- do you pray? (It has a lot to do with Moses and Jesus.) Naturally God supersedes Moses and Jesus, since Jesus anyway offered prayer to his father in heaven. And taught others to do so. So I wonder -- :) about certain things regarding people and their beliefs as well.

metis

See, I'm not sure what everyone believes about evolution, including those who say they believe in God and also evolution. They'd have to explain to me what they believe about that.
I realize you are interested in religion, not exactly sure how, what, and why
Because evolution is a process, not a statement of ultimate causation. We generally know why and how life forms change over time, but we do not know with any certainty whatsoever how that process started, which definitely leaves lotsa room for Divine creation.

but -- I wonder, let's say, if you believe that Christianity is compatible with Hinduism or Buddhism. Just two examples.
I consider them also to be people of faith, but who am I to judge what decisions God will make in that regard.

Frankly, I find myself more in line with some in other religions than I do with some in Christianity.

metis

So if it's a myth explaining about death for humans in particular, do you believe there is life after death?
I neither believe nor disblieve. Whatever happens, happens, and I willing to accept either eventuality.

the whole account about the miracles, Jesus life-force coming from heaven -- all a contrived story, such as taking off on something, a myth?
Like the above, I neither believe in miracles nor do I disbelieve in them. After all, every single religion has miracles that they believe in, so what are the chances of only one of those being right?

I was led back to Christianity because of a very long series of "premonitions" that lasted almost two full years, but were those "miracles" or were they natural occurences that I don't understand? As a scientist, I'm not in the least bit superstitious, but something happened to me over that time period that just rocked me to my very core.

metis

A rebuttal, you say. So do you believe that the account about Moses is a fabrication?
Moses did not at all likely write the Flood narrative, which seems to have more than one author, btw.

Again, a "myth" is not a "fabrication" in the negative sense of that word. It's to tell a story with morals and possibly other teachings. Jesus' parables are myths, thus it doesn't make a difference whether they occurred in real life. It's the teachings behind the parables that count.

May I ask you a question -- do you pray?
Yes, although my approach to that may be different than yours as I use contemplative meditation on the Bible every day of the week as well as durimg the readings and prayers at mass.

Sorry-- gotta go until tomorrow.