• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which one is a Cult? A or B?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
That has nothing to do with literary devices.
Not all will understand, that's kind of like in the Bible also. So literary device or not, not all will discern proper application. I venture to say you probably don't believe the following but I do:
John the Baptist replied to a question about the Messiah “A person can receive only what is given them from heaven." (John 3:27)

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Not all will understand, that's kind of like in the Bible also. So literary device or not, not all will discern proper application. I venture to say you probably don't believe the following but I do:
John the Baptist replied to a question about the Messiah “A person can receive only what is given them from heaven." (John 3:27)
It seems as though you’re saying, “All facts and evidence aside, if it’s in the Bible it must be literally true.” Which, of course, isn’t true at all.

YoursTrue

It seems as though you’re saying, “All facts and evidence aside, if it’s in the Bible it must be literally true.” Which, of course, isn’t true at all.
It seems that shamans and "Christian shamanics" do not know the differences of literary forms.

sojourner

It seems that shamans and "Christian shamanics" do not know the differences of literary forms.
Your attempt at gaslighting won’t work. First of all, I don’t claim to be a shaman. Second, my graduate work was spent in exegeting Biblical texts, including literary criticism.

YoursTrue

Your attempt at gaslighting won’t work. First of all, I don’t claim to be a shaman. Second, my graduate work was spent in exegeting Biblical texts, including literary criticism.
First, I was going by your description profile as a "Chistian/shamanic." You're not a shaman, but rather a "Christian shamanic." ? Right? It's possible for Mrs. Grundy to say also go fly a kite.

sojourner

First, I was going by your description profile as a "Chistian/shamanic." You're not a shaman, but rather a "Christian shamanic." ? Right? It's possible for Mrs. Grundy to say also go fly a kite.
Yeah, and using that to suggest that I don’t know what you think I should.

And second...?

YoursTrue

I don't remember saying everything in the Bible is to be taken literally. So if you think that's what I believe, I will tell you no, I don't believe that.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Which one is a Cult? A or B?

'Next, the end, when he hands over the Kingdom to his God and Father, when he has brought to nothing all government and all authority and power.' (1 Corinthians 15:24)

A. Trinitarians Claim that God hands over the Kingdom to his God and Father
B. Christians Claim Jesus hands over the Kingdom to his God and Father
Trinitarians are Christians...

YoursTrue

But you believe literary devices are actual people?
I don't remember saying everything in the Bible is to be taken literally. Do you? If not, please describe. But if you think that's what I believe, I will tell you no, I don't believe that.
And of course, some would say as you quote that fictional character,
Freedom begins when you tell Mrs Grundy to go fly a kite.
-- Lazarus Long
:)

sojourner

I don't remember saying everything in the Bible is to be taken literally. Do you? If not, please describe. But if you think that's what I believe, I will tell you no, I don't believe that.
And of course, some would say as you quote that fictional character,
Freedom begins when you tell Mrs Grundy to go fly a kite.
-- Lazarus Long
:)
See post #537

YoursTrue

See post #537
See that I don't believe everything in the Bible is literal. :) Perhaps you did not understand what 537 said. I'll repeat -- I do not believe everything in the Bible is literal. I won't ask you to explain, because you clearly are intent on telling others to fly kites. Enjoy the day --

sojourner

See that I don't believe everything in the Bible is literal. :) Perhaps you did not understand what 537 said. I'll repeat -- I do not believe everything in the Bible is literal. I won't ask you to explain, because you clearly are intent on telling others to fly kites. Enjoy the day --
You did indicate that obviously mythic and metaphoric stories were real events, because they were in the Bible.

YoursTrue

You did indicate that obviously mythic and metaphoric stories were real events, because they were in the Bible.
I did not. But since you don't understand the difference, you might try reading Tolkien again. So if you don't mind, please excuse for a while. Bye for now ..

sojourner

I did not. But since you don't understand the difference, you might try reading Tolkien again. So if you don't mind, please excuse for a while. Bye for now ..
You need to be more terse in your writing, then, so that your meaning comes across. I’m professionally experienced with literary criticism.