• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which one is a Cult? A or B?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
A second major ecclesiological principle adopted by the Second Vatican Council is embodied in its teaching that the church is the whole People of God.
In other words, the church is not only the hierarchy, the clergy, and/or members of religious communities. It is the whole community of the baptized. In other words, the church is not only the hierarchy, the clergy, and/or members of religious communities. It is the whole community of the baptized.
The church is a communion of local churches, or dioceses, each of which is the Body of Christ in its own particular place (Lumen gentium, n. 26).
Together these local churches constitute the universal church. Their unity one with another is rooted in the presence and sanctifying activity of the Holy Spirit, manifested especially in the celebration of the Eucharist.
The Church is ecumenical, the church founded by Jesus "subsists in" the Catholic church, rather than "is" the Catholic church.
Things changed, haven't they since the Middle Ages? Sounds almost like 'almost' anything goes...-)

YoursTrue

A second major ecclesiological principle adopted by the Second Vatican Council is embodied in its teaching that the church is the whole People of God.
In other words, the church is not only the hierarchy, the clergy, and/or members of religious communities. It is the whole community of the baptized. In other words, the church is not only the hierarchy, the clergy, and/or members of religious communities. It is the whole community of the baptized.
The church is a communion of local churches, or dioceses, each of which is the Body of Christ in its own particular place (Lumen gentium, n. 26).
Together these local churches constitute the universal church. Their unity one with another is rooted in the presence and sanctifying activity of the Holy Spirit, manifested especially in the celebration of the Eucharist.
The Church is ecumenical, the church founded by Jesus "subsists in" the Catholic church, rather than "is" the Catholic church.
So you say that it's all those baptized. Which raises a few interesting questions. One is what does it mean to be baptized?

YoursTrue

Neither fits the definition of a cult
  1. A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.
OK, so do you believe the definition some give of the one holy apostolic catholic faith? Or rather, do you believe that the 'church' consists of the differing groups theologically spoeaking of course as part of the "church"?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
OK, so do you believe the definition some give of the one holy apostolic catholic faith? Or rather, do you believe that the 'church' consists of the differing groups theologically spoeaking of course as part of the "church"?

I'm not sure what that has to do with the definition of cult in as much as it is common knowledge that cults usually adds living in an unconventional manner.

But to answer you question, when an opinion (of any church group) differs from what God says, opinions cease to have import.

The Church consists of those who are of the faith of Christ. Man can put whatever name they would like in front of their building. Mine is called "The House Church" - where you are loved, accepted and connected. :)

pearl

So you say that it's all those baptized. Which raises a few interesting questions. One is what does it mean to be baptized?

To enter the 'Christian community' as St Paul did following his 'encounter with Christ'.

Things changed, haven't they since the Middle Ages? Sounds almost like 'almost' anything goes...-)

No, but the continued interpretation of Scripture, how are we to live our Christian life 'today'?

YoursTrue

I'm not sure what that has to do with the definition of cult in as much as it is common knowledge that cults usually adds living in an unconventional manner.

But to answer you question, when an opinion (of any church group) differs from what God says, opinions cease to have import.

The Church consists of those who are of the faith of Christ. Man can put whatever name they would like in front of their building. Mine is called "The House Church" - where you are loved, accepted and connected. :)
Don't the various church groups (or religious groups) differ from each other on doctrine?

YoursTrue

To enter the 'Christian community' as St Paul did following his 'encounter with Christ'.

No, but the continued interpretation of Scripture, how are we to live our Christian life 'today'?
Insofar as I understand, torture in the name of God has not been authorized and practiced for a while. (Think the Inquisition plus other indecencies.)

YoursTrue

Does it accept the Bible as the word of God, in other words, as a book of instruction also?

Kenny

Premium Member
Don't the various church groups (or religious groups) differ from each other on doctrine?
In some cases, yes. But, if you look closely, I would look at it with this analogy. Some people like a three bedroom split plan and some like all the bedrooms on one side. And inside they are all decorated differently.

As long as the foundation is square and solid, it really doesn't matter.

And even if there was a point that I make think is way off, I might call it "another gospel" but I still wouldn't designate it as a cult. IMV

I don't see Hinduism as a cult but they certainly believe differently than I do.

Kenny

Premium Member
Does it accept the Bible as the word of God, in other words, as a book of instruction also?
I am sincerely not quite sure what the question is here because I don't know who you are referring to. Sorry. Can you be a little more detailed?

YoursTrue

In some cases, yes. But, if you look closely, I would look at it with this analogy. Some people like a three bedroom split plan and some like all the bedrooms on one side. And inside they are all decorated differently.

And even if there was a point that I make think is way off, I might call it "another gospel" but I still wouldn't designate it as a cult. IMV

I don't see Hinduism as a cult but they certainly believe differently than I do.
Part of the problem with different beliefs is worship. Meaning, the God of the Bible, in other words, the Supreme Most High God, the One that Jesus speak about and prayed to, has a particular way He wants to be worshiped. That is written in the Bible. So for instance, if a religion has a ritualistic type of worship, thinking about transmigration of souls, etc., or contradicting beliefs in other religions, or even within the same name of the religion, binds them in a group of some sort.

Kenny

Premium Member
Part of the problem with different beliefs is worship. Meaning, the God of the Bible, in other words, the Supreme Most High God, the One that Jesus speak about and prayed to, has a particular way He wants to be worshiped. That is written in the Bible. So for instance, if a religion has a ritualistic type of worship, thinking about transmigration of souls, etc., or contradicting beliefs in other religions, or even within the same name of the religion, binds them in a group of some sort.
Yes, there are those that are different. But why do you think that makes it a cult vs, let say, just another religion?

Edit:
(That is if it was you that said it was a cult... I may be mixing you up with another poster)

YoursTrue

....Yes, there are those that are different. But why do you think that makes it a cult vs, let say, just another religion?

Edit:
(That is if it was you that said it was a cult... I may be mixing you up with another poster)
I am saying that if a group within a name of religion (such as Judaism, Hinduism, Christianity, Buddhism, etc.) proclaims a set of beliefs that defines them and in fact by definition determines they are not members of another sect or religion, then it's like houses of worship with different sets of beliefs that enclose the various groups which may be distinctly different from another.
For instance, not every religion or group within a name has specific orders for celibacy. Thus if a person belongs to, or joins a religion, don't you think he, being of age to decide, should agree with the principles therein of that religion, which may be fundamentally and categorically different in practice and belief from another sect, group, or religion?

YoursTrue

This is what is called "commentary", thus not a rewriting of the scriptures themselves.

In the 4th century, this issue came up, and the notable biblical scholar Jerome stated that the Church had always recognized Mary's perpetual virginity.

Not in harmony with the scriptures. Also, "Modern Protestants have largely rejected the doctrine" of "perpetual virginity" of the mother of Jesus. Ever wonder why? Perpetual virginity of Mary - Wikipedia

Last edited:

YoursTrue

Yes, there are those that are different. But why do you think that makes it a cult vs, let say, just another religion?

Edit:
Regardless, when some of the Israelites engaged in worship of other gods, how do you feel about that? Also I turn your attention to a king of Judah called Manasseh. Do you remember anything about him?

YoursTrue

Edit:
I don't think I said that religious groups who believe Mary was perpetual virgin, or groups that say she was not are cults, but then -- they're part of subsets that differ from each other within a circle, aren't they?

Kenny

Premium Member
Regardless, when some of the Israelites engaged in worship of other gods, how do you feel about that? Also I turn your attention to a king of Judah called Manasseh. Do you remember anything about him?
To me, it appears that you are trying to change the word "cult" to simply "what is wrong".

I don't think they are equal. All cults are wrong but not all wrong actions qualify as a cult

Kenny

Premium Member
I don't think I said that religious groups who believe Mary was perpetual virgin, or groups that say she was not are cults, but then -- they're part of subsets that differ from each other within a circle, aren't they?
Yes they are. There are different position on certain items. It doesn't change the foundation (necessarily) and certainly this one doesn't.

YoursTrue

To me, it appears that you are trying to change the word "cult" to simply "what is wrong".

I don't think they are equal. All cults are wrong but not all wrong actions qualify as a cult
No, you're wrong about what I'm saying. So I'll try once more and hopefully leave it at that. There are religions that differ from one another. Within those larger groups of religious classification are smaller but clashing groups.