• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which one is a Cult? A or B?

Brian2

Veteran Member
In order for me to delve into these questions, I'd have to see the scriptural references for your points above. Thank you. Maybe you can go through each point you make and give a scriptural assertion of that. Thanks. And where we disagree, we disagree, ok?

I will say that YHWH alone stretched out the heavens and spread the earth (Isa 44:24) but at Heb 1:10 we find that the heavens are the work of Jesus hands.
I will say that Jesus has and inherited the name above all names and everyone will worship Him at the mention of His name. Phil 2:9-10
This name belongs to Jesus because everything that the Father has belongs to the Son. (John 16:15)
Jesus is the stone of stumbling and rock of offence (1Peter 2:8) and this is YHWH according to Isa 8:14.
It is YHWH who is coming to judge the earth in the OT and is Jesus who is coming to judge the earth in the NT.
Psalm 98:9 Before the LORD, for He is coming to judge the earth;
He will judge the world with righteousness
And the peoples with equity.
Zech 14:2 I will gather all the nations to Jerusalem to fight against it; the city will be captured, the houses ransacked, and the women raped. Half of the city will go into exile, but the rest of the people will not be taken from the city. 3 Then the Lord will go out and fight against those nations, as he fights on a day of battle. 4 On that day his feet will stand on the Mount of Olives, east of Jerusalem, and the Mount of Olives will be split in two from east to west, forming a great valley, with half of the mountain moving north and half moving south. 5 You will flee by my mountain valley, for it will extend to Azel. You will flee as you fled from the earthquake in the days of Uzziah king of Judah. Then the Lord my God will come, and all the holy ones with him.

Last edited:

Dogknox20

You should care 'how.' Also, necromancers have been "calling up" the spirits of the dead for a long time, and some believe what they hear. To consult with a witch (spirit medium) is forbidden by the true God. Necromancy is forbidden by God, but -- people like Saul will do it anyway. He already was condemned by God. He didn't go to God, he went to someone who knew she could be killed under the Law of God. He went to someone disapproved by God. Not all Catholic theologians believe Saul saw Samuel in realtime, real life, more or less. But we all believe or interpret as we want. If you want to believe that Saul recognized Samuel the prophet, your choice.
"There must never be anyone among you who makes his son or daughter pass through the fire of sacrifice, who practises divination, who is soothsayer, augur or sorcerer,
Yahweh your God; it is because of these detestable practices that Yahweh your God is driving out these nations before you. Yahweh your God does not permit you to do this. "
But Saul and the witch did it anyway. Can you imagine the prophet Samuel coming at the witch's asking?
YoursTrue The scriptures.. >>> GOD tells you.. <<< The soul of Samuel came back when called....
God tells you.. "The soul does NOT end at death!"

All you have to do is: Believe the scriptures and reject the lies of your man made church!

TrueBeliever37

I guess you figured his flesh was not too weak when he walked on water? Or maybe ou think God comes and goes in Jesus when he was on the earth. I guess. Anyway - have a good night, I think we're rounding our discussion up.

Right - I knew you probably wouldn't really follow up with responses to many of the points I made. You said you would but ...

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
YoursTrue The scriptures.. >>> GOD tells you.. <<< The soul of Samuel came back when called....
God tells you.. "The soul does NOT end at death!"

All you have to do is: Believe the scriptures and reject the lies of your man made church!
I reject the lies of your interpretation of what the soul is and what Saul saw or thought he recognized. He thought it was Samuel. It was not. I believe what the Bible says, and know from putting it together that Ezekiel 18:20 says (King James Version) that the soul dies.
Many people go to witches, even religious people, believing that they can somehow contact the dead against God's command. Something God told the Israelites, including Saul (and the witch herself knew it) definitely not to do. Saul did it regardless. The soul is something that God created, and when used in the aspect of understanding more about it, it is clear that God can restore the life in a person. That includes the soul. Going back to Samuel and Saul for a while, remember - Saul went to a witch. Something he knew he should not do. 1 Samuel 28 where the witch called up what she wanted of 'Samuel,' what does the Bible say this one looked like?
Notice: "And the king said unto her, Be not afraid: for what sawest thou? And the woman said unto Saul, I saw gods ascending out of the earth." She saw gods coming up from the earth? Jehovah forbade the Israelites to engage witches in contacting the dead. But unfaithful Saul did it anyway.
And yet God has the ability to give life to whomever he wants to. Perhaps you are aware of the scripture that says distinctly -- The soul that sinneth, it itself shall -- ? what? Look at it: Ezekiel 18:20 King James Version says,
"The soul that sinneth, it shall die." So what does the Bible say dies? It, the soul, shall what if it sins? It says it shall die. Clearly the soul can and does die.
This does not mean that God cannot restore the soul to life again, but the Bible says clearly that the soul dies.

YoursTrue

Right - I knew you probably wouldn't really follow up with responses to many of the points I made. You said you would but ...
Just to say that is not true. I don't read every single post because of limited time. So sorry about that. Also, feel free to message me and let me know exactly what post you are so interested in having my response. As a reminder, I usually only discuss one point at a time.

YoursTrue

I will say that YHWH alone stretched out the heavens and spread the earth (Isa 44:24) but at Heb 1:10 we find that the heavens are the work of Jesus hands.
I will say that Jesus has and inherited the name above all names and everyone will worship Him at the mention of His name. Phil 2:9-10
This name belongs to Jesus because everything that the Father has belongs to the Son. (John 16:15)
Jesus is the stone of stumbling and rock of offence (1Peter 2:8) and this is YHWH according to Isa 8:14.
It is YHWH who is coming to judge the earth in the OT and is Jesus who is coming to judge the earth in the NT.
Psalm 98:9 Before the LORD, for He is coming to judge the earth;
He will judge the world with righteousness
And the peoples with equity.
Zech 14:2 I will gather all the nations to Jerusalem to fight against it; the city will be captured, the houses ransacked, and the women raped. Half of the city will go into exile, but the rest of the people will not be taken from the city. 3 Then the Lord will go out and fight against those nations, as he fights on a day of battle. 4 On that day his feet will stand on the Mount of Olives, east of Jerusalem, and the Mount of Olives will be split in two from east to west, forming a great valley, with half of the mountain moving north and half moving south. 5 You will flee by my mountain valley, for it will extend to Azel. You will flee as you fled from the earthquake in the days of Uzziah king of Judah. Then the Lord my God will come, and all the holy ones with him.
Statements must be taken in context. For instance, Jehovah was speaking to the Israelites at Isaiah 44:24. Jehovah was the administrator, Jesus was the one who carried out the Father's will.
Jesus said he has a God. Again, the word "God" must be taken in context. In discussion with someone else on these boards, about Saul and Samuel, the Bible says that the witch of Endor saw "gods" come up out of the earth. So if she saw "gods" come up out of the earth, how do you take this? Anyway, I'm not here to argue, but to reason from the scriptures.
Jesus said he has a God. Jesus was with the Father from the beginning.
So if you have to argue and insist, look at those scriptures and please stop avoiding them. At a certain point, I just wish a person well, which I may soon do.

John 20:17 - Jesus said, “Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’”
So Jesus has a God and Father. Again - the word 'god' must, must, must be taken in context. Also, you might want to look at John 1:1 again, since it speaks of the Word with God from the beginning. Many Bibles do erroneously translate that phrase to say that the Word was with God and was God, but even at that point, it was 2 Gods, not one or three. God WITH God. Not God superimposed and fitting in the body of another God. You can say what you will, but for the most part, if you have any questions, you might want to pray over them and argue with someone else. Bye for now....
And don't forget that the witch called up god or gods, again depending on translation.So the word 'god' can be used in various contexts. If you don't agree or understand that, I suggest you pray and ask God for guidance in the name of Jesus. Have a nice day.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Statements must be taken in context. For instance, Jehovah was speaking to the Israelites at Isaiah 44:24. Jehovah was the administrator, Jesus was the one who carried out the Father's will.

I don't know what you mean by Jehovah speaking to the Israelites at Isa 44:24. Does that make a difference? Is Jehovah was alone then then He was alone.
There is nothing in the passage about anyone else being there and the passage denies that. There is nothing there about Jehovah being the administrator and Jesus the one who carried out the Father's will.

Jesus said he has a God
. Again, the word "God" must be taken in context. In discussion with someone else on these boards, about Saul and Samuel, the Bible says that the witch of Endor saw "gods" come up out of the earth. So if she saw "gods" come up out of the earth, how do you take this? Anyway, I'm not here to argue, but to reason from the scriptures.
Jesus said he has a God. Jesus was with the Father from the beginning.
So if you have to argue and insist, look at those scriptures and please stop avoiding them. At a certain point, I just wish a person well, which I may soon do.

I wish you well also.
I don't know where Jesus called Himself God. He called Himself the Son of God and the Jews knew what He meant and wanted to stone Him. Being the Son of God made Him equal to God,,,,,,,,,,in nature.
He did however give hints of Himself being God. For example, when He said that only God is good, that shows us, who know that Jesus was good, sinless, the impress of the being of God, the image of God who shines with the glory of God, that Jesus was saying there that He was God, even if the person He spoke to did not understand.
I don't know how to take the "gods" in the witch of Endor story. I have in the past seen it as angels coming with Samuel but there are various translations and some recognise that the plural of god in the passage could be a plural of majesty for whom the witch saw. Other points in the passage suggest this. Saul in the following verse seems to understand that there was only one who came up and asked what he (singular) looked like. So "gods" in the passage would just refer to probably a glorious spirit.

John 20:17 - Jesus said, “Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’”
So Jesus has a God and Father. Again - the word 'god' must, must, must be taken in context.

If you look at John 20:17 you will see that Jesus did not say that He has not ascended to our God and Father, He made a distinction and probably that would be just how the Father was the God and Father of Jesus compared to how He was the God and Father of Mary.
Is there anything really wrong with the risen Jesus having a God? Jesus rose as a glorified man after all. Men have a God or gods. The Father became the God of Jesus when Jesus was in the womb of Mary, when He became a man. See Psalm 22:10

Also, you might want to look at John 1:1 again, since it speaks of the Word with God from the beginning. Many Bibles do erroneously translate that phrase to say that the Word was with God and was God, but even at that point, it was 2 Gods, not one or three. God WITH God. Not God superimposed and fitting in the body of another God. You can say what you will, but for the most part, if you have any questions, you might want to pray over them and argue with someone else. Bye for now....

The Word being with the God in the beginning means that the Word was in God. In the beginning (of the creation) nothing else existed by God and if space existed then God was everywhere, so with God had to mean in God. We also are in God as Acts 17:28. It is just that the Word was everywhere God was just as He is now. (as Ephesians 4:10 tells us).
(and that God is everywhere is pretty basic to the Bible---1Kings 8:27 behold, heaven and the heaven of heavens cannot contain thee; how much less this house that I have built! ..)
John 1:1 is not all we have of the passage. I see John 1:1-3 as incorporating more of the passage. John 1:3 tells us that without the Word not one thing came into existence. It does not say "other thing" and if you think it does, you are reading into it what is not there. So Jesus is God as much as the God He was with is God imo. But of course there is but one God and so the 2 must be one, and when Jesus said "I and the Father are one" the "one" is neuter gender meaning He was saying "I and the Father are one thing". What is that one thing? Again the Jews might have guess, Jesus said that God is His Father (one nature--equal with God) and now He was saying that He and the Father are one thing. The Jews after all did pick up stones to throw at Him. They would not have done this is they thought He might be saying that He and the Father agree about stuff.
A translation of "and the Word was a god" might be grammatically OK but to get that you need to end up with 2 Gods, a big one and a little one in the beginning before the creation began,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,or you need to ignore John 1:3 or think in your head that it must mean "other things" because your doctrine tells you that Jesus was created.
But really when it comes to John 1:1 I think the second use of "God" is a descriptive use and is saying the same as other passage which tell us that Jesus is the image of the invisible God(Col 1) and the impress of God's being (Heb 1) and shines with the glory of God,,,,,,,,,,a glory that Jehovah gives to no other.

And don't forget that the witch called up god or gods, again depending on translation.So the word 'god' can be used in various contexts. If you don't agree or understand that, I suggest you pray and ask God for guidance in the name of Jesus. Have a nice day.

Again a JW who avoids answering all the scriptures I gave. Sigh.
Have a nice day.

Dogknox20

I reject the lies of your interpretation of what the soul is and what Saul saw or thought he recognized. He thought it was Samuel. It was not. I believe what the Bible says, and know from putting it together that Ezekiel 18:20 says (King James Version) that the soul dies.
Many people go to witches, even religious people, believing that they can somehow contact the dead against God's command. Something God told the Israelites, including Saul (and the witch herself knew it) definitely not to do. Saul did it regardless. The soul is something that God created, and when used in the aspect of understanding more about it, it is clear that God can restore the life in a person. That includes the soul. Going back to Samuel and Saul for a while, remember - Saul went to a witch. Something he knew he should not do. 1 Samuel 28 where the witch called up what she wanted of 'Samuel,' what does the Bible say this one looked like?
Notice: "And the king said unto her, Be not afraid: for what sawest thou? And the woman said unto Saul, I saw gods ascending out of the earth." She saw gods coming up from the earth? Jehovah forbade the Israelites to engage witches in contacting the dead. But unfaithful Saul did it anyway.
And yet God has the ability to give life to whomever he wants to. Perhaps you are aware of the scripture that says distinctly -- The soul that sinneth, it itself shall -- ? what? Look at it: Ezekiel 18:20 King James Version says,
"The soul that sinneth, it shall die." So what does the Bible say dies? It, the soul, shall what if it sins? It says it shall die. Clearly the soul can and does die.
This does not mean that God cannot restore the soul to life again, but the Bible says clearly that the soul dies.

Question Where....
YoursTrue where does it say "Soul"?! Clearly the word soul means PERSON! The very next verse! King James Version says,
Ezekiel 18:21 But if the wicked will turn from all his sins that he hath committed and keep all My statutes and do that which is lawful and right, he shall surely live: he shall not die.

Ezekiel 18:20 The one who sins is the one who will die. The child will not share the guilt of the parent, nor will the parent share the guilt of the child. The righteousness of the righteous will be credited to them, and the wickedness of the wicked will be charged against them.

Ezekiel 18:20 The person who sins is the one who will die. A son won’t suffer punishment for the father’s iniquity, and a father won’t suffer punishment for the son’s iniquity. The righteousness of the righteous person will be on him, and the wickedness of the wicked person will be on him.

YoursTrue Clearly Samuel is a PERSON! He did NOT die he did not have guilt of his father!

Clearly NOT all die! Clearly Samuels soul was NOT destroyed at death!
NASB
The person who sins will die. A son will not suffer the punishment for the father’s guilt, nor will a father suffer the punishment for the son’s guilt; the righteousness of the righteous will be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked will be upon himself.

YoursTrue The son will NOT die because of his father! "The soul that sinneth, it shall die." Clearly the verse means "The PERSON" all persons have souls!
The soul of the SON WILL NOT DIE!
Matthew 17:3 Just then there appeared before them Moses and Elijah, talking with Jesus.
Mark 9: 4 And there appeared before them Elijah and Moses, who were talking with Jesus.

Luke 9: 30 Two men, Moses and Elijah, appeared in glorious splendor, talking with Jesus.

The soul is NOT destroyed after death!
YOU CAN'T...
YoursTrue you can't reject one passage and accept another.. They are BOTH TRUE!

YoursTrue

Question Where....
YoursTrue where does it say "Soul"?! Clearly the word soul means PERSON! The very next verse! King James Version says,
Ezekiel 18:21 But if the wicked will turn from all his sins that he hath committed and keep all My statutes and do that which is lawful and right, he shall surely live: he shall not die.

Ezekiel 18:20 The one who sins is the one who will die. The child will not share the guilt of the parent, nor will the parent share the guilt of the child. The righteousness of the righteous will be credited to them, and the wickedness of the wicked will be charged against them.

Ezekiel 18:20 The person who sins is the one who will die. A son won’t suffer punishment for the father’s iniquity, and a father won’t suffer punishment for the son’s iniquity. The righteousness of the righteous person will be on him, and the wickedness of the wicked person will be on him.

YoursTrue Clearly Samuel is a PERSON! He did NOT die he did not have guilt of his father!

NASB
The person who sins will die. A son will not suffer the punishment for the father’s guilt, nor will a father suffer the punishment for the son’s guilt; the righteousness of the righteous will be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked will be upon himself.

YoursTrue The son will NOT die because of his father! "The soul that sinneth, it shall die." Clearly the verse means "The PERSON" all persons have souls!
Matthew 17:3 Just then there appeared before them Moses and Elijah, talking with Jesus.
Mark 9: 4 And there appeared before them Elijah and Moses, who were talking with Jesus.
Luke 9: 30 Two men, Moses and Elijah, appeared in glorious splendor, talking with Jesus.

YOU CAN'T...
Ezekiel 18:20 says the soul that sins dies. Since you can't have conflicting truths, do you think that Ezekiel meant the soul that sins doesn't die? What do you think?
Here's what it says: "The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him."

YoursTrue

I don't know what you mean by Jehovah speaking to the Israelites at Isa 44:24. Does that make a difference? Is Jehovah was alone then then He was alone.
There is nothing in the passage about anyone else being there and the passage denies that. There is nothing there about Jehovah being the administrator and Jesus the one who carried out the Father's will.

I wish you well also.
I don't know where Jesus called Himself God. He called Himself the Son of God and the Jews knew what He meant and wanted to stone Him. Being the Son of God made Him equal to God,,,,,,,,,,in nature.
He did however give hints of Himself being God. For example, when He said that only God is good, that shows us, who know that Jesus was good, sinless, the impress of the being of God, the image of God who shines with the glory of God, that Jesus was saying there that He was God, even if the person He spoke to did not understand.
I don't know how to take the "gods" in the witch of Endor story. I have in the past seen it as angels coming with Samuel but there are various translations and some recognise that the plural of god in the passage could be a plural of majesty for whom the witch saw. Other points in the passage suggest this. Saul in the following verse seems to understand that there was only one who came up and asked what he (singular) looked like. So "gods" in the passage would just refer to probably a glorious spirit.

If you look at John 20:17 you will see that Jesus did not say that He has not ascended to our God and Father, He made a distinction and probably that would be just how the Father was the God and Father of Jesus compared to how He was the God and Father of Mary.
Is there anything really wrong with the risen Jesus having a God? Jesus rose as a glorified man after all. Men have a God or gods. The Father became the God of Jesus when Jesus was in the womb of Mary, when He became a man. See Psalm 22:10

The Word being with the God in the beginning means that the Word was in God. In the beginning (of the creation) nothing else existed by God and if space existed then God was everywhere, so with God had to mean in God. We also are in God as Acts 17:28. It is just that the Word was everywhere God was just as He is now. (as Ephesians 4:10 tells us).
(and that God is everywhere is pretty basic to the Bible---1Kings 8:27 behold, heaven and the heaven of heavens cannot contain thee; how much less this house that I have built! ..)
John 1:1 is not all we have of the passage. I see John 1:1-3 as incorporating more of the passage. John 1:3 tells us that without the Word not one thing came into existence. It does not say "other thing" and if you think it does, you are reading into it what is not there. So Jesus is God as much as the God He was with is God imo. But of course there is but one God and so the 2 must be one, and when Jesus said "I and the Father are one" the "one" is neuter gender meaning He was saying "I and the Father are one thing". What is that one thing? Again the Jews might have guess, Jesus said that God is His Father (one nature--equal with God) and now He was saying that He and the Father are one thing. The Jews after all did pick up stones to throw at Him. They would not have done this is they thought He might be saying that He and the Father agree about stuff.
A translation of "and the Word was a god" might be grammatically OK but to get that you need to end up with 2 Gods, a big one and a little one in the beginning before the creation began,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,or you need to ignore John 1:3 or think in your head that it must mean "other things" because your doctrine tells you that Jesus was created.
But really when it comes to John 1:1 I think the second use of "God" is a descriptive use and is saying the same as other passage which tell us that Jesus is the image of the invisible God(Col 1) and the impress of God's being (Heb 1) and shines with the glory of God,,,,,,,,,,a glory that Jehovah gives to no other.

Again a JW who avoids answering all the scriptures I gave. Sigh.
Have a nice day.
I am not avoiding answering your questions, but I don't do multitudes of scriptures at a time. Anyway, yes, have a nice day.

Dogknox20

Ezekiel 18:20 says the soul that sins dies. Since you can't have conflicting truths, do you think that Ezekiel meant the soul that sins doesn't die? What do you think?
Here's what it says: "The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him."
Good point.... Clearly there are those who don't sin Ezekiel 18:19 (below). There are those whos soul does not die.. These people do NOT die the righteous soul shall NOT be destroyed at death
......... "The soul that sinneth, it shall die. ......
Ezekiel 18:19Yet you ask, ‘Why does the son not share the guilt of his father?’ Since the son has done what is just and right and has been careful to keep all my decrees, he will surely live.

If you point out the soul dies by those that sinneth .... Then it also tells you there are those souls that "LIVE" in the case of the son! (above) A good example also of a soul that does NOT Die is Samuel! His soul was brought back by the witch OR...

YoursTrue
or the souls of Moses or Elijah their soul was NOT destroyed at death! :)

YoursTrue

Question Where....

NASB

YOU CAN'T...
So each idea must be taken in context, using the rest of the scriptures as well. You are probably aware that the traditional rendering of the word 'soul' is from the Hebrew and the Greek. So when a person looks at the way these terms are used in the Bible, it shows that it basically refers to people, animals, and the life a person or animal has. I hope you will want to go over the points carefully, and if you are, that will be fine. Nevertheless, Ezekiel 18:4 is a good start to understand what the word soul can mean. And yes, the soul can die.
Good point.... Clearly there are those who don't sin Ezekiel 18:19 (below). There are those whos soul does not die.. These people do NOT die the righteous soul shall NOT be destroyed at death
Ezekiel 18:19Yet you ask, ‘Why does the son not share the guilt of his father?’ Since the son has done what is just and right and has been careful to keep all my decrees, he will surely live.

If you point out the soul dies by those that sinneth .... Then it also tells you there are those souls that "LIVE" in the case of the son! (above) A good example also of a soul that does NOT Die is Samuel! His soul was brought back by the witch OR...

YoursTrue

Vision. That is a wonderful and upbuilding account. Jesus then said afterwards, as they were coming down the mountain, “Do not tell anyone about this vision until the Son of Man has been raised from the dead.” John 17:9.

Last edited:

YoursTrue

YoursTrue

Going back to this subject --
The Almighty God does not forget His servants. To Him, they are as good as going to be raised from the dead. He not only remembers them, but His love for them does not die. He will raise his servants in His due time. I could explain it in as someone who suffered a death of a loved one. He keeps thinking about him. To him, it's as if he (his loved one) was alive, he is in his memory, even though he knows he is dead. That's not all cases, of course. Some people think the dead are communicating with them, a circumstance that God Almighty forbade the Israelites (including Saul and Samuel) to do. And the witch of Endor, she also knew God forbade that. But she did it. She risked her life, she knew that. she could be killed because the God of Samuel forbade the Israelites to do what Saul and the witch did. They disobeyed God. When the Bible says Saul recognized Samuel, you probably noticed there it was described as 'god,' or gods, or a god coming up from the earth, depending on translator. A god? Or gods? Who told Saul this?
Samuel was a faithful prophet of God the Almighty. Why, do you think, he would come at the request of a witch requested to call him up from -- where -- ?? by someone who was directly disobeying God? Why would Samuel come up at the witch's request? Reading more about this, it is not said that Saul saw anything that came up, it was the witch who saw what she saw. So please notice that the LORD (YHWH or Jehovah as represented by the capital letters there) did not answer Saul. (So then who did Saul inquire of eventually?)
1 Samuel 28 -
"The Philistines came together and camped at Shunem, while Saul gathered all Israel and camped at Gilboa. 5When Saul saw the Philistine army, he was afraid and trembled violently. 6He inquired of the LORD, but the LORD did not answer him by dreams or Urim or prophets."

Last edited:

Dogknox20

So each idea must be taken in context, using the rest of the scriptures as well. You are probably aware that the traditional rendering of the word 'soul' is from the Hebrew and the Greek. So when a person looks at the way these terms are used in the Bible, it shows that it basically refers to people, animals, and the life a person or animal has. I hope you will want to go over the points carefully, and if you are, that will be fine. Nevertheless, Ezekiel 18:4 is a good start to understand what the word soul can mean. And yes, the soul can die.

Vision. That is a wonderful and upbuilding account. Jesus then said afterwards, as they were coming down the mountain, “Do not tell anyone about this vision until the Son of Man has been raised from the dead.” John 17:9.
Your words... it shows that it basically refers to people, animals, and the life a person or animal has.

I agree... Below the word Soul and person are both used! Same verse!
Behold, all souls are Mine. As the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is Mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

Look, every life belongs to me. The life of the father is like the life of the son—both belong to me. The person who sins is the one who will die.

YoursTrue Yes the soul "CAN" die; Yes a Person "Can" Die! Take your pick! A person who does NOT sin does NOT die!
A soul that is without sin does NOT die!

It proves the soul is NOT destroyed at death! Samuel the Person/Soul was brought up by the witch!
Jesus spoke to these persons Moses and Elijah neither were dead! They were NOT destroyed at death.. A persons continue to exist after death so does his soul.

Revelation 6:9-10
, John writes, “When Jesus opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain for the word of God and for the witness they had borne; they cried out with a loud voice, ‘O Sovereign Lord, holy and true, how long before thou wilt judge and avenge our blood on those who dwell upon the earth?'”

YoursTrue

Your words... it shows that it basically refers to people, animals, and the life a person or animal has.

I agree... Below the word Soul and person are both used! Same verse!
Behold, all souls are Mine. As the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is Mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

Look, every life belongs to me. The life of the father is like the life of the son—both belong to me. The person who sins is the one who will die.

YoursTrue Yes the soul "CAN" die; Yes a Person "Can" Die! Take your pick! A person who does NOT sin does NOT die!
A soul that is without sin does NOT die!

It proves the soul is NOT destroyed at death! Samuel the Person/Soul was brought up by the witch!
Jesus spoke to these persons Moses and Elijah neither were dead! They were NOT destroyed at death.. A persons continue to exist after death so does his soul.

Revelation 6:9-10
, John writes, “When Jesus opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain for the word of God and for the witness they had borne; they cried out with a loud voice, ‘O Sovereign Lord, holy and true, how long before thou wilt judge and avenge our blood on those who dwell upon the earth?'”
A person forgiven by God for his sins can look forward to everlasting (eternal) life. John 17:3 - And this is the way to have eternal life--to know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, the one you sent to earth.

Dogknox20

JerryMyers your point is?
That Moses & Elijah were a figment of the mind?! That the conversation Jesus had with them was a dream he did not really talk to them? Is this what you are saying!?

You say something then leave it hanging! Are you saying it is a vision UNTIL Jesus rises from the dead then it is NOT a vision!?

YoursTrue

JerryMyers your point is?
That Moses & Elijah were a figment of the mind?! That the conversation Jesus had with them was a dream he did not really talk to them? Is this what you are saying!?

You say something then leave it hanging! Are you saying it is a vision UNTIL Jesus rises from the dead then it is NOT a vision!?
You're interesting. First Jesus said it was a "vision." I didn't say it, he did.

YoursTrue

First of all. an architect or designer usually takes the credit for building something. It is clear that Jesus, certainly as the Word, was instrumental, but he was not the Grand Designer. Second, that scripture was presented to those who may have been worshipping other gods and Jehovah reminded them that He alone...is the creator. No other god can compete with him. If you look at the rest of the chapter you will see He presents himself in comparison with the gods of the nations.​

Brian2

Veteran Member
First of all. an architect or designer usually takes the credit for building something. It is clear that Jesus, certainly as the Word, was instrumental, but he was not the Grand Designer. Second, that scripture was presented to those who may have been worshipping other gods and Jehovah reminded them that He alone...is the creator. No other god can compete with him. If you look at the rest of the chapter you will see He presents himself in comparison with the gods of the nations.​

There are other scriptures that say similar thing. (eg Job 9:8) and there is no setting there of comparison with other gods of the nations.
But if we look at Isa 44 we can see that the bit about the idols is before Isa 44:24 and Isa 44:24 is at the start of a new prophecy about the restoration of Jerusalem.
Apart from those things God does say in the verse:
24Thus says the LORD, your Redeemer who formed you from the womb: “I am the LORD, who has made all things, who alone stretched out the heavens, who by Myself spread out the earth,
But of course we know that Jesus did these things (Heb 1:10) and we know that Heb 1:10 is a quote of Psalm 102:25 and that is was applied to Jesus.
Jesus was there and did it.
YHWH was there and did it.
YHWH was alone when He did it.
Therefore Jesus is YHWH.

(but of course I did not say YHWH is Jesus, that just adds fuel to JWs saying that Trinitarians teach that the Son is His Father.)

YoursTrue

There are other scriptures that say similar thing. (eg Job 9:8) and there is no setting there of comparison with other gods of the nations.
But if we look at Isa 44 we can see that the bit about the idols is before Isa 44:24 and Isa 44:24 is at the start of a new prophecy about the restoration of Jerusalem.
Apart from those things God does say in the verse:
24Thus says the LORD, your Redeemer who formed you from the womb: “I am the LORD, who has made all things, who alone stretched out the heavens, who by Myself spread out the earth,
But of course we know that Jesus did these things (Heb 1:10) and we know that Heb 1:10 is a quote of Psalm 102:25 and that is was applied to Jesus.
Jesus was there and did it.
YHWH was there and did it.
YHWH was alone when He did it.
Therefore Jesus is YHWH.

(but of course I did not say YHWH is Jesus, that just adds fuel to JWs saying that Trinitarians teach that the Son is His Father.)
Jesus was in the flesh. Do you believe he was one of three persons who came from heaven?