• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which one describes you the best way?

74x12

Theism - Wikipedia
Monotheism: I am a monotheist, and here is an article describing monotheism for you: Monotheism - Wikipedia
Panentheism: Panentheism - Wikipedia I was a Panentheist until I was 15.
Pantheism: Pantheism - Wikipedia These believe the universe is God or Goddess.
Polytheism: Polytheism - Wikipedia They believe there is more than one god or goddess.
Theism: Theism - Wikipedia referenced by the preceeding link is not to be confused with deism, referenced here: Deism - Wikipedia
This is an article on dystheism: Dystheism - Wikipedia This is the opposite of eutheism which means one believes their God or Goddess is benevolant, or good for the layperson. I hope I provided enough options to choose from, and it is noted that varying schools exist within each type of theism.
Monotheist

masonlandry

Pantheist is probably the closest but polytheist or monotheist would maybe also work. The problem is I'm not all that sure what I think god is, or even if there is anything I would consider a god. I have a difficult time fitting into any of these categories because it all is highly dependent on what you mean by god. I take issue with some of the connotations of pantheism, because I don't believe the universe being God and the universe just being what it is makes all that much difference, yet at the same time, there are elements to the way I see existence as a whole that makes it more than just a material universe full of stuff.

I'm content to call multiple aspects that I consider to be forces that make up "god" just multiple parts of one god. But I could also see reason in calling different forces different gods. It's really the same problem as of whether the Trinity is one god or three gods. It just depends on how you look at it. I'm still in the process of looking.

BenFranklinFan

Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
Theism - Wikipedia
Monotheism: I am a monotheist, and here is an article describing monotheism for you: Monotheism - Wikipedia
Panentheism: Panentheism - Wikipedia I was a Panentheist until I was 15.
Pantheism: Pantheism - Wikipedia These believe the universe is God or Goddess.
Polytheism: Polytheism - Wikipedia They believe there is more than one god or goddess.
Theism: Theism - Wikipedia referenced by the preceeding link is not to be confused with deism, referenced here: Deism - Wikipedia
This is an article on dystheism: Dystheism - Wikipedia This is the opposite of eutheism which means one believes their God or Goddess is benevolant, or good for the layperson. I hope I provided enough options to choose from, and it is noted that varying schools exist within each type of theism.
Strict Monotheist (Unitarian)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Very confusing! No? :D

It could be. But, there's a hierarchy from my pov...
  1. Monism - there is really only one thing, Brahman, from which everything else emerges.
  2. Pantheism - Bhagavad Gita 10.20-40.
  3. Panentheism - Bhagavad Gita 10.41-42.
  4. Polytheism - God takes many forms; jāki rahi bhāvanā jaisi prabhu mūrat dekhi tin taisi
  5. Henotheism - one's ishta-devata, plus worship and reverence to other deities. oṁ sarvebhyo devebhyo namaḥ.
Voilá! :)

And yes, I think too much. :D

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
I'm definitely a non-dualistic-dualistic-non-dualistic panentheist.
Dualism is only a relative experience (Maya) during the time that we have a body and separate soul.
So God is absolutely One but at the same time present in everything in a relative (projected) form.

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
Which one describes you the best way?
The terms you mention have multiple meanings. Here is my use of them based on my views (I am all 4; a deist-monotheist-agnostic-panentheist)...
  1. Deist -- I reject (for myself) revealed religions and revealed spiritual paths. I reject revealed truth claims from these.
  2. Monotheist -- I believe in one God, the creator of everything good and beautiful, a personal God with whom I have a moment by moment personal relationship.
  3. Agnostic -- I don't believe we can know anything about the structure and functioning of the spiritual realm.
  4. Panentheist -- I believe God indwells and inhabits everything that exists, material and spiritual.