• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which Mantra to Choose

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I should chant and do japa more often to remember what it is and why I chant oṁ namo bhagavate vāsudevāya ... "I bow to the Lord within all". It serves two purposes: to remember he is within all and is all, even people I do not like; to keep him in mind. The names of God are non-different than God.

Vinidra

Jai Mata Di!
I was going to start a thread on this, but I think I'll just ask here.

What is the difference in chanting nama japa and chanting mantras? I mean, I know nama japa is chanting the various names of the deity, and mantra japa is, of course, chanting mantras. But do the two things bear different fruits, or is it all the same?

I ask because I much prefer nama japa to mantra japa. I think I get bored saying the same thing over and over again. :oops:

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
I was going to start a thread on this, but I think I'll just ask here.

What is the difference in chanting nama japa and chanting mantras? I mean, I know nama japa is chanting the various names of the deity, and mantra japa is, of course, chanting mantras. But do the two things bear different fruits, or is it all the same?

I ask because I much prefer nama japa to mantra japa. I think I get bored saying the same thing over and over again. :oops:

Namaste Vinidra,

I know little bit along the lines you are asking about.

Nama japa does not involve 'bijas' or words like 'Hum, hreem, shroum'............. etc. These are seed words that give potency to a mantra.

Therefore, while nama japa does not involve so much austerity or purity on the part of the sadhaka as to when he can recite it, mantras require that the sadhaka strictly is bathed, seated before the shrine or deity, etc.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Should the name Vāsudeva be pronounced exactly as it is written, or like Vāsūdeva? I always hear people pronounce it like in the latter transliteration.
'Vāsudeva' is the correct pronunciation meaning 'son of Vasudeva', who was the chief of the Vrishni clan. People belonging to Vrishni clan were also called 'Vārshaneya'. Krishna also was called 'Vārshaneya'. The name still is a part of Indian genealogy and caste system.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru

"Nama Japa' is for devotion to the deity. Mantra could be for spiritual development or for material purposes (though I do not believe that mantras can get you riches, but I am an atheist Hindu). So, the effect, it is believed could be different. For example, Mahamrutyunjaya Mantra is supposed to ward off illness or death.
Stop when you get bored. When you are bored, the deity also is bored since the deity knows that your mind is elsewhere.