• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which Mantra to Choose

WillEast

Premium Member
I have been studying with the Hare Krishnas for the past several years but have some difficulty chanting the MahaMantra which is recommended in the group. Should I try to work through the difficulties or use a mantra which I feel easier to chant?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I am chanting mainly for spiritual progress.

I concluded that, but I was hoping you would be more specific. How does chanting a mantra, for you, help you to spiritually progress?

For example, when I do chant, I do so for the purpose of quieting the "monkey mind" to exist in my true nature. What is your purpose for chanting?

WillEast

Premium Member
I see your point. I would like to gain greater peace in my life through quieting the monkey mind and greater connection with the higher power. Some have said the mahamantra is better but I am not sure if other mantras are just as effective.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I see your point. I would like to gain greater peace in my life through quieting the monkey mind and greater connection with the higher power. Some have said the mahamantra is better but I am not sure if other mantras are just as effective.

Others' opinions may vary, but in my opinion, it is the purpose of chanting the mantra that matters more than the mantra itself.

If you are struggling with a particular mantra, perhaps that mantra isn't for you...

...unless your purpose has to do with self-discipline. ;)

WillEast

Premium Member
That is a good perspective. I am not sure why but other mantras are easier for me to recite than the mahamantra. I think I was trying to stick with it since many people suggest it and it is more popular.

WillEast

Premium Member
Are there benefits to chanting for longer sessions? How long is recommended for OM? Is chanting silently just as good as out loud?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
But it isn't necessarily about what's easy. Sometimes good things come through difficulty.

It took me a bit to perfect my chanting of the Pavamana mantra, but now it requires as much effort for me as breathing.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Are there benefits to chanting for longer sessions? How long is recommended for OM? Is chanting silently just as good as out loud?

It depends on the individual, their need, and the purpose.

For me, it depends upon my level of involvement in vyavaharika. If I'm largely uninvolved, I don't really need to chant at all to shift into Samadhi. However, if I find I'm forgetting mySelf and am deeply involved or suffering, I'll chant for and extended period of time.

But that's just me. I'm more of a jnani. A bhakti may see things from an entirely different perspective.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Shanti Mantras: Choose one or two from this. If chanting the whole mantra is difficult, choose a verse that appeals the most to you. These mantras are from Upanishads and are very old.
Shanti Mantras - Wikipedia

Or Just the Mahamantras, name chanting: "Om Namah Shivāya", "Om Namo Bhagawate Vāsudevāya".

Pavamana mantra:

asato mā sadgamaya,
tamaso mā jyotirgamaya,
mṛityor mām amṛitaṃ gamaya,

From falsehood lead me to truth,
From darkness lead me to the light,
From death lead me to immortality.

Last edited:

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I have been studying with the Hare Krishnas for the past several years but have some difficulty chanting the MahaMantra which is recommended in the group. Should I try to work through the difficulties or use a mantra which I feel easier to chant?
My first thought reading the Title of your OP is "chant any mantra that you really Love" (can do with all your heart)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

You can use Aum, or Aum _______. (insert deities name) The better way would be if a Guru assigned one to you specifically, or you were initiated into one. There are also two general sound forms for all mantras ... the rhythmic singing one, and the intoning faster cadence one. This varies by sect. As with any question about Hinduism, expect many varied answers. Best wishes.

ajay0

I personally use only Om, Om Shanti or Om Namah Shivaaya.

I read a book by Swami Sivananda stating that 'Om Namah Shivaya' was the favorite mantra of Sri Rama.

It is said that Sri Rama installed the Shivalingam at Rameshwaram in south India which is a pilgrimage site.

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe

Personally, I'm better off with chanting Nitai-Gauranga. The Hare Krishnas teach that you may commit the "10 offenses against the Holy Name" while chanting Hare Krishna, which do not exist when chanting Nitai-Gauranga. I don't think this doctrine is valid, but it's an important issue for the Hare Krishnas nevertheless. When chanting Hare Krishna, I once had a dream about Rama appearing to me as a warrior, which I found a bit scary, so I prefer Nitai-Gaura instead.

You maybe should try to learn about what the different deities can offer, and what you aspire for. I think it's wiser to choose a mantra only when you know what exactly you want.

yoglica

Spiritual journey to enlightenment
There are lot of mantras but if u get the mantra from guru its regarded very special and powerful. Mantra has got its own power. I started with jut om mantra japa and it was good. When you receive from guru himself then its power is increased and moreover guru knows which mantra you are capable to handle and what good it can do for you.
Not all mantra is compatible with everyone.
If you like to know about om mantra you can have a look at this
Om Mantra Japa | Meditation | Symbol | Meaning | Benefit

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
When chanting Hare Krishna, I once had a dream about Rama appearing to me as a warrior, which I found a bit scary, so I prefer Nitai-Gaura instead.
Lord Rama was "Maryada Purushottama" (The best who observed his duties). Why the scary feeling? My favorite Rama mantra is "Ramah Videahavan Dharmah" (Rama is embodied Dharma). His weapons, or Lord Vishnu's weapons or Mother Durga's weapons are for protection of the oppressed. All of us should be warriors in our own way. It is perfectly OK if you prefer any other mantra.
However, a person following / learning about Hinduism in a sect under a Guru, should use the mantra suggested by him.

The Crimson Universe

The Hare Krishna mahamantra is IMO quite powerful, especially to drive all the negative energies or evil entities away.

I've had many paranormal encounters before and whenever i chanted the mahamantra they would stop. (Not the complete mahamantra, but only two words "Hare Krishna" helped in my case.)
:=)