• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which is supreme practice: jnana or bhakti?

Shantanu

Today I learnt that in practicing yoga, bhakti takes precedence over jnana, for bhakti generates bliss and contentment. Happiness is so desirable because it gives the will to live and not suffer in depression. The urge to pay ones devotional reverence gives unbelievable pleasure.

But then, that is knowledge so that bhakti gives rise to jnana.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
In my sampradaya, jnana isn't considered a practice, but a state. So there's really no way of comparing the two, as one is a practice, and one isn't. In the Vivekenanda, (and others) method of viewing jnana, bhakti, karma, kriya, raja, etc. as separate yogas or methods of reaching the goal, sure it may make some sense.

GoodbyeDave

The correct approach is surely the one which works for you. Some people are emotional, some intellectual, and religious practice has to allow for that. Religions that ignore the intellect (evangelical Christianity) or the emotions (Judaism) can have a very narrowing effect on their practitioners.

Shantanu

The correct approach is surely the one which works for you. Some people are emotional, some intellectual, and religious practice has to allow for that. Religions that ignore the intellect (evangelical Christianity) or the emotions (Judaism) can have a very narrowing effect on their practitioners.
I would like to say that whereas jnana is for the brain for knowledge, bhakti is for the mind for peace, bliss and contentment. I think without this happiness knowledge is futile.

Shantanu

Sure Hinduism asks all the questions as long as they are contributing to the understanding of Reality.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Sure Hinduism asks all the questions as long as they are contributing to the understanding of Reality.
Well, you may ask questions. They all will have their replies. You are welcome to consider what they consider as correct as incorrect. It does not affect them.

Shantanu

Intense bhakti to the point where one is paying devotional reverences to God constantaly makes a person paranoid schizophrenic in his quest for survival in the material world but without such bhakti there is no jnana.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I think we need both inner and outer reflection. Looking for God in either place are complementary to each other. But looking inward isn't jnana, it's yoga, or raja yoga. Jnana is the result, in my view.

I think anyone that focuses entirely on one or the other is missing out on some sort of joy. It's easier to meditate after a puja sums it up, as would saying a puja is better after a meditation.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think we need both inner and outer reflection. Looking for God in either place are complementary to each other. But looking inward isn't jnana, it's yoga, or raja yoga. Jnana is the result, in my view.

I think anyone that focuses entirely on one or the other is missing out on some sort of joy. It's easier to meditate after a puja sums it up, as would saying a puja is better after a meditation.
The goal is Samadhi or Unity. Jnana and Bhakti are just different Yogas or methodologies for achieving this.

Shantanu

Ha-ha, you said it! That is why they are not interested in 'jnana'. 'Jnana' will come to them automatically. :)
Their bhakti is so intense that they do not want God to do anything for them in order not to place demands on God- it is wrong to do so; it is wrong to pray: they live in uncertainty so that the future is always unclear to them. But whatever God does for them is gratefully accepted as His wish for them for they have had the results of their devotion rewarded so well in the past that they pay constant devotional reverences like doing puja and 'nama'.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
.. they live in uncertainty so that the future is always unclear to them.
Shantanu, there is no uncertainty for 'bhaktas'. They have surrendered completely to their deity, and they will accept whatever the deity has for them cheerfully. Prapatti. They never think of future.