• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which is More Likely to Lead to Moral Behavior? Regret, Guilt, or Shame?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Which is more likely to lead to moral behavior? Regret, guilt, or shame?

Obviously, it is possible for anyone of those things to be unwarranted. Which one, if any, is least likely to be unwarranted?

Heyo

Veteran Member
Critical thinking.

From the above I associate regret as the most similar to critical thinking. It has the least emotional co-notation and most likely leads from the "I did something wrong" that all of them have to a "how can I do better next time".

If we are talking purely about carrying out a behaviour rather than engaging in questions of 'true' morality based on internalised values then shame.

We are social creatures, and this is externally reinforced whereas guilt and regret are internal. Most people have a strong aversion to being shamed in front of others.

Most pre-modern societies were honour based cultures, and people would frequently be willing to die (or kill) to avoid shame which shows how powerful an emotion it can be.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I think morality is part of the person tempered by life so any of these emotions may follow an act of poor moral judgement and all may temper future future ones.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Guess it depends on what the regret, guilt, and shame are for.

Some people do that and they have done nothing wrong.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Critical thinking.

From the above I associate regret as the most similar to critical thinking. It has the least emotional co-notation and most likely leads from the "I did something wrong" that all of them have to a "how can I do better next time".
I would opt for some thinking, since much bad behaviour appears to originate without much of that being involved, and often coming from the passions.

Heyo

Veteran Member
If we are talking purely about carrying out a behaviour rather than engaging in questions of 'true' morality based on internalised values then shame.

We are social creatures, and this is externally reinforced whereas guilt and regret are internal. Most people have a strong aversion to being shamed in front of others.

Most pre-modern societies were honour based cultures, and people would frequently be willing to die (or kill) to avoid shame which shows how powerful an emotion it can be.
I agree that shame is a strong motivator. But does it really keep people from doing immoral things or does it simply prevent them from getting caught?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Obviously, it is possible for anyone of those things to be unwarranted. Which one, if any, is least likely to be unwarranted?

Probably regret, as it would indicate understanding the consequences of one's actions through trial and error.

Guilt and shame can be manufactured by others, usually through vagaries such as public opinion or the values of society. Shaming can often backfire. Scarlet letters didn't exactly stop adultery, and it might even change public opinion on morality if the person being shamed is turned into a martyr.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Guilt is most effective at promoting self control under diverse conditions.
Shame works best only within a specific, relativity homogenous society, and even then, if the individual thinks he can act undetected there's no internalized curb on his behavior. Shame cultures aren't based on self control.
Regret I don't think I understand. It mostly would occur after the fact. Clarify.
Fear? Very effective, I expect, as long as there's a strong expectation of discovery and punishment, but as soon as the threat is removed, what's to prevent one from running amok?

Guilt-shame-fear spectrum of cultures - Wikipedia

Mindmaster

Premium Member

None of the above. For the large part society sets the rules of reality, and those rules were set before any of us got here. They slowly drift on a general basis, but certainly the youngest generation has absolutely no say of it until they themselves become parents. In the past, the morality would have been more shaped by religious authorities but in modern days it's simply codified into law as the the adults mature and redefine their values.

Guilt/Regret/Shame are literally just breaking the rules of your own system that you've bought into. None of that implies that you will become more moral in the future, just more pathetic and miserable.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I assume this has to do with correcting immoral behaviour, not just having moral behaviour to begin with. I could be wrong.

I would think it depends on the individual. If a person is surrounded by shaming, and has observed that it works for others, that might be the most effective. But as others have said, it might just make the person sneakier too.

Regret and guilt are similar. Regret can come form many decisions or actions, not just immoral ones. One might regret buying a fancy car when a simpler one would have done, for example. I don't think guilt would come into the picture there.

For guilt, it would be doing something immoral, and it's far more uncomfortable than regret. So I will vote for guilt. But people do vary. Some need repeated life lessons, often getting harsher and harsher, while others just need one lesson to correct their own behaviour.

Daemon Sophic

Critical thinking.

Most likely this ^^ .

But first, I think @Sunstone , you may wish to define each one, as there is overlap.

Cooky

Veteran Member

I wasn't aware there was much difference between the three.

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you

Dear Sunstone

How do you mean...? Cannot all behaviour be judged on moral basis? Or, are you asking us rather, what we believe is more likely to lead to changes in moral behaviour?

In the latter case, I think constructive change requires that we understand our own role in a situation. Because one can feel regret, guilt, shame, etc, without ever acknowledging one’s own part in something, in which case the experience would only lead to negative emotions and destructive choices - which could very well mean changes, but changes for the worse.

If addressed wrongly (without understanding of one’s part in them) regret, guilt and shame for instance, could all just as well lead to hatred and actions of revenge.

Humbly
Hermit