• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which is “the first, the greatest and mightiest of all books”?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Kitab-i-Iqan or Book of Certitude, "The work was composed partly in Persian and partly in Arabic by Bahá'u'lláh, the founder of the Bahá'í Faith, in 1861".
Kitáb-i-Íqán - Wikipedia

Book of Mormon "was first published in March 1830 by Joseph Smith". Its "adherents believe contains writings of ancient prophets who lived on the American continent from approximately 2200 BC to AD 421".
Book of Mormon - Wikipedia

How would one like to compare Kitab-i-Iqan or Book of Certitude with the "Book of Mormon", please? Book of Mormon was published 31 years earlier than the Kitab-i-Iqan or Book of Certitude.

It is further added that "In 2012, there were an estimated 14.8 millionMormons, with roughly 57 percent living outside the United States. It is estimated that approximately 4.5 million Mormons – roughly 30% of the total membership – regularly attend services."
Mormons - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormons
And:
"The Bahá'í Faith is a diverse and widespread religion founded by Bahá'u'lláh in the 19th century in Iran. Bahá'í sources usually estimate the worldwide Bahá'í population to be above 5 million. Most encyclopedias and similar sources estimate between 5 and 6 million Bahá'ís in the world in the early 21st century."
Bahá'í Faith by continent - Wikipedia
Bahá'í Faith by continent - Wikipedia

The Mormons have spread almost double than the Bahaism people.
Right, please?

Regards

There was 2 Manifestations of God born in 1807 and 1809. Baha'u'llah in 1807 and the Bab in 1809. Those births infused the power of the Holy Spirit into this world. Many with receptive hearts had already felt the influence and many were already foretelling of the Messages to come. Prior to the Bab there were also twin heralds preparing the way for the Bab.

The Book of Morman was a result of the New Spirit that was yet to dawn. The author was attracted to this spirit, but did nit correctly attrubute the source. Christ had said that He would make all things new and come in a New Name. The book of Morman was another attempt of reforming Christain thought and was not a world embracing Message.

Christ promised that God/Allah would be One God and His Name One at the end of ages and warned against those coming in His Name.

And yet, the universe is out there for us to read and comprehend. It may not have an author and it isn't written in any language, but it is certainly the first and mightiest conveyor of information.

The Word of God is the cause of creation and creation came about because of the joining of the Letters B & E.

All that exists comes from every letter of what was revealled and written, this is how it is explained by Baha'u'llah;

"Every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God is endowed with such potency as can instill new life into every human frame, if ye be of them that comprehend this truth. All the wondrous works ye behold in this world have been manifested through the operation of His supreme and most exalted Will, His wondrous and inflexible Purpose. Through the mere revelation of the word “Fashioner,” issuing forth from His lips and proclaiming His attribute to mankind, such power is released as can generate, through successive ages, all the manifold arts which the hands of man can produce. This, verily, is a certain truth. No sooner is this resplendent word uttered, than its animating energies, stirring within all created things, give birth to the means and instruments whereby such arts can be produced and perfected. All the wondrous achievements ye now witness are the direct consequences of the Revelation of this Name. In the days to come, ye will, verily, behold things of which ye have never heard before. Thus hath it been decreed in the Tablets of God, and none can comprehend it except them whose sight is sharp. In like manner, the moment the word expressing My attribute “The Omniscient” issueth forth from My mouth, every created thing will, according to its capacity and limitations, be invested with the power to unfold the knowledge of the most marvelous sciences, and will be empowered to manifest them in the course of time at the bidding of Him Who is the Almighty, the All-Knowing. Know thou of a certainty that the Revelation of every other Name is accompanied by a similar manifestation of Divine power. Every single letter proceeding out of the mouth of God is indeed a mother letter, and every word uttered by Him Who is the Well Spring of Divine Revelation is a mother word, and His Tablet a Mother Tablet. Well is it with them that apprehend this truth"

Regards Tony

InvestigateTruth

Thread open for all people who belong to a religion or no-religion, please.

Regards

Bahaullah writes:

“Gracious God! In His Book, which He hath entitled “Qayyúmu’l-Asmá,”—the first, the greatest and mightiest of all books—He prophesied His own martyrdom. In it is this passage: “O thou Remnant of God! I have sacrificed myself wholly for Thee; I have accepted curses for Thy sake; and have yearned for naught but martyrdom in the path of Thy love. Sufficient Witness unto me is God, the Exalted, the Protector, the Ancient of Days!”

Page 231 Kitab-i-Iqan or the “Book of Certitude” written by Bahaullah.
In my understanding, the idea is that, God has a Book, called Mother Book. The Mother Book is preexisting, and in this sense, it is the first, and greatest of all books. Different Holy Books, are just different chapters of the Mother Book. Each gradually revealed to mankind in each Age. Qayumulasma is a Holy Book.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Those are different categories.

The first will be anything from ancient cuneiform tablets to Egyptian papyrus writings to Gutenberg's Bible, depending on how one defines a book.

The greatest... is awfully subjective a call. There must be thousands of contenders with no particular clear advantage over each other. I would include the Tao Te Ching and the Vedas among the contenders, personally. Also something from George Martin and Edgar Alan Poe.

The mightiest would probably be some form of literacy manual.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
This is a metephor and a reality.

You will note the Bible talks about a new heaven and a new earth and that all things are made new.

The Bab brought the new heaven and new earth and made all things new. From His declaration the slate is wiped clean and judjement day again commences, thus the metephor of the first book

His first book in reality, is that of the New Revelation and commences the new 'Day of God', which is like unto a 1000 years.

This is but one limited thought.

Regards Tony
A little question from friend @Tony Bristow-Stagg .
Have you read the entire book "Qayyúmu'l-Asmá'" from cover to cover, please?
Regards

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Regards

I have not seen a full translation, this is what I have read from this book.

Selections from the Writings of the Báb | Bahá’í Reference Library

It was indeed a book that was directed at the Dawn of a New Day of Allah, this passage is indicative of the challenge the book presents;

"..UNTO every people We have sent down the Book in their own language. This Book We have, verily, revealed in the language of Our Remembrance and it is in truth a wondrous language. He is, verily, the eternal Truth come from God, and according to the divine judgment given in the Mother Book, He is the most distinguished among the writers of Arabic and most eloquent in His utterance. He is in truth the Supreme Talisman and is endowed with supernatural powers, as set forth in the Mother Book.…

O people of the city! Ye have disbelieved your Lord. If ye are truly faithful to Muḥammad, the Apostle of God and the Seal of the Prophets, and if ye follow His Book, the Qur’án, which is free from error, then here is the like of it—this Book, which We have, in truth and by the leave of God, sent down unto Our Servant. If ye fail to believe in Him, then your faith in Muḥammad and His Book which was revealed in the past will indeed be treated as false in the estimation of God. If ye deny Him, the fact of your having denied Muḥammad and His Book will, in very truth and with absolute certainty, become evident unto yourselves." Chapter IV.

Regards Tony

Last edited:

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Regards

I had not read these extracts for quite some time, thank you, as I now see a lot of them in a different frame of reference. Wow, you can see how the whole book is directed to humanity to accept Baha'u'llah and the Mother Book.

I am reading the 'Dawn Breakers' (Nabils Narrative) at the moment and this passage stood out;

"O YE peoples of the earth! During the time of My absence I sent down the Gates unto you. However the believers, except for a handful, obeyed them not. Formerly I sent forth unto you Aḥmad and more recently Káẓim, but apart from the pure in heart amongst you no one followed them. What hath befallen you, O people of the Book? Will ye not fear the One true God, He Who is your Lord, the Ancient of Days?… O ye who profess belief in God! I adjure you by Him Who is the Eternal Truth, have ye discerned among the precepts of these Gates anything inconsistent with the commandments of God as set forth in this Book? Hath your learning deluded you by reason of your impiety? Take ye heed then, for verily your God, the Lord of Eternal Truth, is with you and in very truth is watchful over you.… Chapter XXVII.

Ahmad and Kazim were twin forerunners prior to the Bab and they were preparing Islam starting in the 1700's. The first Disciple of the Bab was a devotee to these two schools of thought. What we must also consider is people like William Miller in America that were also preaching the return of Christ, and also giving the year as 1844, which was the year 1260.

This book is indeed the most Mighty Book by which our responses are now weighed.

I note it also contains a lot of passages adressed to Tahirih a heroine for the dawn of equality of women and Disciple of the Bab.

Regards Tony

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I have not seen a full translation, this is what I have read from this book.

Selections from the Writings of the Báb | Bahá’í Reference Library

It was indeed a book that was directed at the Dawn of a New Day of Allah, this passage is indicative of the challenge the book presents;

"..UNTO every people We have sent down the Book in their own language. This Book We have, verily, revealed in the language of Our Remembrance and it is in truth a wondrous language. He is, verily, the eternal Truth come from God, and according to the divine judgment given in the Mother Book, He is the most distinguished among the writers of Arabic and most eloquent in His utterance. He is in truth the Supreme Talisman and is endowed with supernatural powers, as set forth in the Mother Book.…

O people of the city! Ye have disbelieved your Lord. If ye are truly faithful to Muḥammad, the Apostle of God and the Seal of the Prophets, and if ye follow His Book, the Qur’án, which is free from error, then here is the like of it—this Book, which We have, in truth and by the leave of God, sent down unto Our Servant. If ye fail to believe in Him, then your faith in Muḥammad and His Book which was revealed in the past will indeed be treated as false in the estimation of God. If ye deny Him, the fact of your having denied Muḥammad and His Book will, in very truth and with absolute certainty, become evident unto yourselves." Chapter IV.

Regards Tony
It is surprising that a Book that has been claimed/declared by Bahallah as the
“the first, the greatest and mightiest of all books” has not been read by a firm follower of him like our friend @Tony Bristow-Stagg .

Any other member/friend belonging to the Bahaism people who has read the entire book ''Qayyúmu'l-Asmá'" from cover to cover please.

Regards

Last edited:

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It is surprising that a Book that has been declared by Bahallah as the
“the first, the greatest and mightiest of all books” has not been read by a staunch follower of him like our friend @Tony Bristow-Stagg .

Any other member/friend belonging to the Bahaism people peple what has read the entire book ''Qayyúmu'l-Asmá'" from cover to cover please.

Regards

Happy Naw Ruz @paarsurrey. :) it is BE176

Why is it surprising, there is no full translation. :D

The purpose of the book was acceptance of Baha'u'llah and His Mother Book. Thus all that is written in that book is fulfilled by that action. Edit (Acceptance of such a great gift from Allah)

Thus pursuing what Baha'u'llah revealed is the fulfillment of that Book.

Regards Tony

Last edited:

cladking

The correct answer id "The Handbook of Chemistry and Physics" 44th edition).

There are more important books but none are mightier.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Happy Naw Ruz @paarsurrey. :) it is BE176

Why is it surprising, there is no full translation. :D

The purpose of the book was acceptance of Baha'u'llah and His Mother Book. Thus all that is written in that book is fulfilled by that action. Edit (Acceptance of such a great gift from Allah)

Thus pursuing what Baha'u'llah revealed is the fulfillment of that Book.

Regards Tony
Just to inform my friends of the Bahaism people that I have today completed my second reading of Kitab-i-Iqan. In this reading I was reading its Arabic translation and side by side seeing/comparing it with its English translation.

Regards