• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which is “the first, the greatest and mightiest of all books”?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Let's see... I heard that around 2007 and I think it was based on distribution and not profit. I think I remember looking it up. Alas, memory is shaky when you can't verify it.

Ah... here is something I can state:
Book of Mormon Reaches 150 Million Copies - Church News and Events

I personally doubt that is top 20... oh well.

Here's something I just found too for what it's worth:
Bible, Book of Mormon make list of top 50 influential books

Please don't mind it.
The site I gave the link of says that the Holy Bible has been sold to over 5 Billion people and the Holy Quran been sold to over 3 Billion people.
Book of Mormon as per one's source sold 150 Million copies. Is it correct, please?
Any guess as to how many people Kitab-i-Iqan or Book of Certitude of Bahaullah has been sold/read, please.

Any body, please.

Regards

ManSinha

Thread open for all people who belong to a religion or no-religion, please.

Regards

With the internet being another medium on which books can read - how are you expecting your question to be answered? Physical books or both or???

PruePhillip

Re "love of all, hate of none."
Ever meet someone who is a 'friend' of everyone? Someone who agrees
with everyone? Someone who stands for everything others stand for?
A man who is a man for all seasons? Bit of a politician, aren't they?
Such people are Fake.

A God like this would be a God who won't stand for anything.

Jumi

The Epic of Gilgamesh is the first "book" that I know. There could be older.

James Clerk Maxwell wrote the equations that changed the world. I didn't read the book, but back in uni a professor of mine convinced that it's the best thing in the world. It's time consuming to understand, like all really good ideas. If I'm ever retired, one day I'll start reading about Maxwell and anything he wrote...

With less time all we can do with is a biography:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Man-Who-Changed-Everything-Maxwell/dp/0470861711

That's probably the greatest yet.

What is mightiest? Well you have to specify what might is, is it something for individual, society or conquest?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
With the internet being another medium on which books can read - how are you expecting your question to be answered? Physical books or both or???
The comments may include the concept/definition of a book, that will add meaning to the discussion/debate/research.
Our Bahaism people may give the definition of a "book" if Bahaullah has provided somewhere, else, they could provide their own individually, if they like so, please.
They also kindly give understanding of the words "first","greatest" and the "mightiest" from Bahaullah, please.

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
So, you are saying that one should base one's beliefs on one's own experiences, rather than copy what has written by others.?
You mean people should actually think for themselves?

Where is that written? :eek:
Will it be good for the social animal not to care for the experience of the fellow humans, please?

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
So, you are saying that one should base one's beliefs on one's own experiences, rather than copy what has written by others.?

What one means from "written" or unwritten, please?
Regards

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

It is written on the happy faces of the illiterate. There may well be other places.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
No where near enough people have partaken of this book. It is free you wish to read or download a copy from online.

The Kitáb-i-Íqán | Bahá’í Reference Library

Regards Tony
Kitab-i-Iqan or Book of Certitude, "The work was composed partly in Persian and partly in Arabic by Bahá'u'lláh, the founder of the Bahá'í Faith, in 1861".
Kitáb-i-Íqán - Wikipedia

Book of Mormon "was first published in March 1830 by Joseph Smith". Its "adherents believe contains writings of ancient prophets who lived on the American continent from approximately 2200 BC to AD 421".
Book of Mormon - Wikipedia

How would one like to compare Kitab-i-Iqan or Book of Certitude with the "Book of Mormon", please? Book of Mormon was published 31 years earlier than the Kitab-i-Iqan or Book of Certitude.

It is further added that "In 2012, there were an estimated 14.8 millionMormons, with roughly 57 percent living outside the United States. It is estimated that approximately 4.5 million Mormons – roughly 30% of the total membership – regularly attend services."
Mormons - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormons

And:
"The Bahá'í Faith is a diverse and widespread religion founded by Bahá'u'lláh in the 19th century in Iran. Bahá'í sources usually estimate the worldwide Bahá'í population to be above 5 million. Most encyclopedias and similar sources estimate between 5 and 6 million Bahá'ís in the world in the early 21st century."
Bahá'í Faith by continent - Wikipedia
Bahá'í Faith by continent - Wikipedia

The Mormons have spread almost double than the Bahaism people.
Right, please?

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Such people are Fake.

Did one mean the following?:

Love for All, Hate for None (Spoken Word Interlude)

David Boomah
From the Album One World Many Cultures
May 20, 2013
81VH1rThuNL._SS500_.jpg

Regards

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Such people are Fake.

I don't think the slogan is bad or fake. Why be against it, please? It harms nobody.

Regards

PruePhillip

James Clerk Maxwell wrote the equations that changed the world. I didn't read the book, but back in uni a professor of mine convinced that it's the best thing in the world. It's time consuming to understand, like all really good ideas. If I'm ever retired, one day I'll start reading about Maxwell and anything he wrote...

What is mightiest? Well you have to specify what might is, is it something for individual, society or conquest?

Yeah, Maxwell is pretty good. We owe the whole world of electrification to him.
Newton's Principia is THE greatest science book - no argument there.

PruePhillip

I don't think the slogan is bad or fake. Why be against it, please? It harms nobody.

Regards

No harm, and no help. If you stand for something you must of
necessity stand AGAINST something. People (and gods) of
principle don't agree with every person - they hold firm on
many things. Read my profile below on the statistics of a
society which lost its resolve against many things.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

I quoted "the-first-the-greatest-and-mightiest-of-all-books" from Bahaullah. I give an extended quote from him:

"The Báb, the Lord, the most exalted—may the life of all be a sacrifice unto Him,—hath specifically revealed an Epistle unto the divines of every city, wherein He hath fully set forth the character of the denial and repudiation of each of them. “Wherefore, take ye good heed ye who are men of insight!” 7 By His references to their opposition He intended to invalidate the objections which the people of the Bayán might raise in the day of the manifestation of “Mustagháth,” 8 the day of the Latter Resurrection, claiming that, whereas in the Dispensation of the Bayán a number of divines 230 have embraced the Faith, in this latter Revelation none of these hath recognized His claim. His purpose was to warn the people lest, God forbid, they cling to such foolish thoughts and deprive themselves of the divine Beauty. Yea, these divines to whom We have referred, were mostly unrenowned, and, by the grace of God they were all purged of earthly vanities and free from the trappings of leadership. “Such is the bounty of God; to whom He will He giveth it.”
Another proof and evidence of the truth of this Revelation, which amongst all other proofs shineth as the sun, is the constancy of the eternal Beauty in proclaiming the Faith of God. Though young and tender of age, and though the Cause He revealed was contrary to the desire of all the peoples of earth, both high and low, rich and poor, exalted and abased, king and subject, yet He arose and steadfastly proclaimed it. All have known and heard this. He was afraid of no one; He was regardless of consequences. Could such a thing be made manifest except through the power of a divine Revelation, and the potency of God’s invincible Will? By the righteousness of God! Were any one to entertain so great a Revelation in his 231 heart, the thought of such a declaration would alone confound him! Were the hearts of all men to be crowded into his heart, he would still hesitate to venture upon so awful an enterprise. He could achieve it only by the permission of God, only if the channel of his heart were to be linked with the Source of divine grace, and his soul be assured of the unfailing sustenance of the Almighty. To what, We wonder, do they ascribe so great a daring? Do they accuse Him of folly as they accused the Prophets of old? Or do they maintain that His motive was none other than leadership and the acquisition of earthly riches?
Gracious God! In His Book, which He hath entitled “Qayyúmu’l-Asmá,”—the first, the greatest and mightiest of all books—He prophesied His own martyrdom. In it is this passage: “O thou Remnant of God! I have sacrificed myself wholly for Thee; I have accepted curses for Thy sake; and have yearned for naught but martyrdom in the path of Thy love. Sufficient Witness unto me is God, the Exalted, the Protector, the Ancient of Days!”
Likewise, in His interpretation of the letter “Há,” He craved martyrdom, saying: “Methinks 232 I heard a Voice calling in my inmost being: ‘Do thou sacrifice the thing which Thou lovest most in the path of God, even as Ḥusayn, peace be upon him, hath offered up his life for My sake.’ And were I not regardful of this inevitable mystery, by Him, Who hath my being between His hands even if all the kings of the earth were to be leagued together they would be powerless to take from me a single letter, how much less can these servants who are worthy of no attention, and who verily are of the outcast… That all may know the degree of My patience, My resignation, and self-sacrifice in the path of God.”
Bahá'í Reference Library - The Kitáb-i-Íqán, Pages 221-257

My humble question is, is the book Qayyúmu’l-Asmá “the-first-the-greatest-and-mightiest-of-all-books”? Right,please?

Regards