• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which Hindus are known worldwide ?

ronki23

It got me thinking that nearly all of the popular Hindus are popular only in India. Off the top of my head these are the most famous Hindus that even non-Indians should know

1. Gandhi
2. George Harrison
3. Narendra Modi
4. Amitabh Bachchan
5. Priyanka Jonas
6. Ravi Shankar
7. Lakshmi Mittal
8. Hinduja brothers
9. Mukesh Ambani
10. Dhirubhai Ambani

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
It got me thinking that nearly all of the popular Hindus are popular only in India. Off the top of my head these are the most famous Hindus that even non-Indians should know

1. Gandhi
2. George Harrison
3. Narendra Modi
4. Amitabh Bachchan
5. Priyanka Jonas
6. Ravi Shankar
7. Lakshmi Mittal
8. Rattan Tata
9. Mukesh Ambani
10. Dhirubhai Ambani

I know some, but not all. Aware this is a DIR, just thought it might help if I offered that. I'm better read religiously and otherwise compared to a 'typical' Australian I would say.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I know some, but not all. Aware this is a DIR, just thought it might help if I offered that. I'm better read religiously and otherwise compared to a 'typical' Australian I would say.
So above a bare minimum primary school level, eh mate? ;)

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
1. Gandhi
2. George Harrison
3. Narendra Modi
4. Amitabh Bachchan
6. Ravi Shankar

Taking the risk of displaying my ignorance, in Germany, I've only heard of the five above. I wanted to add Shah Rukh Khan who is quite popular here but he's a Muslim. Might have been wiser to start a list on famous Indians. You also seem to forget various leaders of proselytizing Hindu cults in the West, but they rather seem to be regarded with suspicion rather than being liked by the public.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Sure, add Shah Rukh Khan, one of the Khan trinity in Bollywood,the others being Salman and Amir. All the three have Hindu connections. Amir and Shah Rukh are married to Hindu women and Salman is the son of one.
Ravi Shankar mostly remained outside India. Amitabh is at the top, versatile actor, aged beautifully from Romeo roles to Grandpa roles.
But then, who made the difference are in India are: Nehru, Patel, Indira and Narendra Modi, Gandhi is history.
Yagananda is an unknown entity in India. He is solely for Americans.

Last edited: