• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which Goddess is Mary?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
There's just something about Mary. More hail Mary's are prayed every day throughout the world than any other prayer. She has worked more documented miracles than any other Goddess. It is as though the Mother Goddess has emerged despite the attempts of monotheists to destroy devotion to her. Which Godess do you think Mary is or do you think they take turns at disguising themselves as her? :D

At Lourdes Mary appeared to Saint Bernadette and a miraculous spring took place. A medical Bureau investigates the healings
"To be regarded as authentic, claims have to satisfy four requirements:
  • the illness and cure was well documented,
  • the illness was serious and was unable to be effectively treated,
  • the symptoms disappeared within hours, and
  • the healing lasted for sufficient time to ensure the ‘cure’ was not just a temporary remission (e.g. in the case of leukemia, 10 years is required)."
Healings at Lourdes

Mary appeared in Fatima Portugal where she told some children about the rise of communism in Russia and the spread of Russia's errors throughout the world. She also spoke of the coming of world war 2. Both predictions of the shepherd children came true. On October 13, 1917 she promised a miracle. A crowd of roughly 70,000 people gathered with communists, freemasons, atheists, and media present. They testified that they saw this:
Miracle of the Sun - Wikipedia

Mary appeared to Juan Diego (An Aztec Indian) as an Indian girl. She left her image on his tilma. This lead to the conversion of the Aztecs to Catholicism. The image cannot be reproduced and there is no indication that it is a painting. When examining the fibers there is no dye or paint. There is no other conclusion but that the image is miraculously there.
936full-virgen-de-guadalupe.jpg

Anyway, if you don't believe these miracles and apparitions took place by the Mother of God, which Goddess do you think is responsible for resurrecting as Mary?

Anyway, happy feast of the nativity of Mary (Sep 8)

Last edited by a moderator:

Spiderman

Veteran Member
The Queen of Heaven is very powerful. Millions of pilgrims go to the sites where she appeared every year. Billions of hail Marys are recited every day. More Churches, Basilicas, and cathedrals are named after her than any other person including Christ.

If this is the return of the Mother Goddess, she means business and is taking over. What do you think will become of her? Apparitions of her are more frequent than ever. What is she trying to accomplish?

It is fascinating me thinks! :p

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I like the Rosary and the Miraculous Medal as well as viewing her as the New Eve but I never got into the Mariolatry. She's a human being, not a deity. I think the Vatican has let it get out of control. The "apparitions" say some disturbing things, too, which are heretical.

agorman

Premium Member
All I know is the last time the Christians of my family prayed to Virgin Mary for me, Diana gave me strong signs. As I don't like Christianity, she came as Diana. Mary was many times painted with the Moon, so it makes sense. I thank that she came to help me; the problem is she interfered with my Norse paganism and that caused me to fall into a spiritual mess again!

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
Top of my head it appears Mary's characteristics are opposite to many aspects of goddesses. Goddess will usually have vanity, but she is humble with zero vanity. A goddess is sexy, but she is virginal. A goddess is powerful, but Mary is not. A goddess typically represents some aspect of the world such as wisdom or beauty, but Mary does not represent aspects of the world as far as I am aware. A goddess has a temple or a place or an object used to connect with her, but Mary does not. Instead she is always associated with Jesus, so anything that you might use to relate to Mary can also be used to relate to Jesus.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
I like the Rosary and the Miraculous Medal as well as viewing her as the New Eve but I never got into the Mariolatry. She's a human being, not a deity. I think the Vatican has let it get out of control. The "apparitions" say some disturbing things, too, which are heretical.
^And this, ladies and gents, is why I'm walking away from Catholicism. Next thing you know they'll have it as a dogma that all grace comes through Mary (AKA "Mediatrix of all graces"). I'll bet anyone here cash money.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
A goddess is powerful, but Mary is not.
I'd say she is extremely powerful. Well over a billion people are devoted to her. She has more Churches named after her than Jesus himself. The hail Mary is the most recited prayer in existence. The greatest signs and wonders I can think of in our modern world took place at sites where she appeared.

Whatever is going on is quite powerful!

Spiderman

Veteran Member
All I know is the last time the Christians of my family prayed to Virgin Mary for me, Diana gave me strong signs. As I don't like Christianity, she came as Diana. Mary was many times painted with the Moon, so it makes sense. I thank that she came to help me; the problem is she interfered with my Norse paganism and that caused me to fall into a spiritual mess again!
Yeah, a lot of people think she's Diana

Shiranui117

Premium Member
Yes I think that will be Dogma some day. What are your objections to it?
1: By saying that ALL grace flows through Mary, it's effectively elevating Mary to the status of a fourth Person on the Trinity. (Quaternity? IDK, we'd need to make up a new word for it)
2: It makes us just as dependent on Mary for salvation as on Christ (which, "Co-Redemptrix" is another thing that will probably end up getting made into dogma by the Catholics).
3: It places far too much emphasis on Mary, and takes attention away from the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
4: The doctrine states that all grace which has ever come upon the world goes through Mary, which makes no sense considering that Mary didn't exist prior to being conceived by her parents.
5: It effectively replaces the Holy Spirit with Mary.

Do you pray to Mary?
I ask her to pray for me and I acknowledge the role she played in agreeing to become the mother of Jesus Christ, Who is God incarnate, and I give her respect for her personal holiness, yes. But I do not pray to her the same way I pray to the Father, Son or Holy Spirit as God.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
^And this, ladies and gents, is why I'm walking away from Catholicism. Next thing you know they'll have it as a dogma that all grace comes through Mary (AKA "Mediatrix of all graces"). I'll bet anyone here cash money.
I can't believe this Shiranui....you are walking away from Catholicism??.....after all we've been through.....
jawsmiley.gif

Was it something I said?
89.gif

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Uh... just pointing out that the discussion seems to be taking specifically Christian premises about the nature of deities, although many posts also ignore that self-imposed restriction.

I am no expert on Shaktism, but I can't help but assume that from its perspective you are probably attempting to ask a question that does not have any reason to exist.

Shiranui117

Premium Member
I can't believe this Shiranui....you are walking away from Catholicism??.....after all we've been through.....
jawsmiley.gif

Was it something I said?
89.gif
Lol no, I would have walked away from Catholicism with or without our discussions. I was defending Catholic teaching about Mary insofar as Catholicism still agreed with the Church Fathers. Everything I said in defense of the Catholic Church still applies to the Orthodox Church. :p You may consider it a win if you wish, it makes no difference to me.

Going from one "Babylon the Great" to another though, is all it probably amounts to in your book. :p Love you, Deeje! <3

Last edited:

syo

in orthodoxy Mary is viewed as the most holy of saints. she isn't a goddess, but she is the most blessed human by god, because she was chosen to give birth to Christ.

Mary is the Mother Of Jesus, and she is not a goddess. She is a saint. She can intercede and pray to God to help the people who ask her for help. Saints do not have powers to act on their own will if it goes against the Will Of God. Mary can only perform the miracles that God has given her permission to perform.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
And this, ladies and gents, is why I'm walking away from Catholicism. Next thing you know they'll have it as a dogma that all grace comes through Mary (AKA "Mediatrix of all graces"). I'll bet anyone here cash money.
You're on, and I'll give you my address so you can send me the cash, OK? ;)

BTW, to be clear, I don't pray to Mary or through Mary or to any saints or through any saints or to Jesus or through Jesus or to the Holy Spirit or through the Holy Spirit... or...

Last edited: