• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which evolved first,hearing or speaking

Kirran

Premium Member
Hearing. Hearing is possessed by a massive variety of organisms which don't have any form of verbal communication.

Which organism, I couldn't tell you. Some kind of ancestral fish.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Hearing. Hearing is possessed by a massive variety of organisms which don't have any form of verbal communication.

Which organism, I couldn't tell you. Some kind of ancestral fish.

And which organism first to evolve the ability to produce sound ?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Which first evolved and which organism ?
It would have to be hearing. "Speaking" is defined as follows, "the action of conveying information or expressing one's thoughts and feelings in spoken language." Since "spoken language" only applies to human beings (no other organism/species has the abilty to express their thoughts and feelings using spoken language), and hearing applies to any organism that can sense sound, hearing would have had to come millions, if not billions of years before speaking.

Here is an explanation that seems pretty legit re: hearing:

"Hearing became useful to have when animals began to be preyed upon by motile predators and prey animals also developed motility--the ability to flee/hunt. It evolved independently in different branches of the Tree of Life.

That would be--off the top of my head--in the Permian, with marine arthropods--crustaceans and suchlike--and insects on land. Some form of tympanum evolved independently 19 times among the insects alone, I believe."

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Every organism produces sound. Most of them just do it too quietly for us to hear. Sound is vibration.

I mean producing sound to communicate, which was first organism that evolved to produce sounds after possessing the ability to hear

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I mean producing sound to communicate, which was first organism that evolved to produce sounds after possessing the ability to hear
That is kind of a trick question. The term "communicate" requires that another organism is able to "hear" it. So, sound had to of come first.

The first organism to communicate through sound would have been either an anthropod or an insect, I believe.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
That is kind of a trick question. The term "communicate" requires that another organism is able to "hear" it. So, sound had to of come first.

The first organism to communicate through sound would have been either an anthropod or an insect, I believe.

No evidence for which was the first organism to evolve with the ability to produce sound as means of communication.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
No evidence for which was the first organism to evolve with the ability to produce sound as means of communication.
Do you think that a lack of available evidence to show conclusively what was the first animal to gain the ability to hear/speak is important? I mean, even if there was evidence somewhere out there, why would scientists waste their time looking for it?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Speaking. Still waiting for hearing to evolve.

Wut?

chocolate-bunny.jpg

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Do you think that a lack of available evidence to show conclusively what was the first animal to gain the ability to hear/speak is important? I mean, even if there was evidence somewhere out there, why would scientists waste their time looking for it?

I think it's important in order to know how we got it ? how it started and how it evolved by nature ?, speaking science.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
What the fossils says about hearing and producing sounds for communication ?
Would you please clarify what did they find out ?
Again, I'm not a scientist, so my background in this subject is pretty lacking, but I would assume that they could find indications of sound-making in bone structures of currently existing organisms and compare them with the fossils of ancient extinct organisms and figure out what most likely was the first organism to be able to communicate through sound. What is your issue? It desn't need to be proof positive or anything ... a question like this would be answered by a "best guess," as is often the case in scientific research/understanding.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
You mean, as in eyewitnesses? I suppose not. Nor would it be reasonable to expect any.

We do not know the specifics of a whole lot of things that are nonetheless basically certain.

That said, producing sound is all but unavoidable for organisms above a certain size, and sensing it is a natural enough development for me to guess that it may have developed more than once during the history of animal species.

Also, it is a bit unclear what you mean by communication here. A lot of animals have warning growls of some kind, for instance. Would they count as communication?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I think it's important in order to know how we got it ? how it started and how it evolved by nature ?, speaking science.
Oh, well of course there are scientists who have nailed down the progression of this aspect of evolution. I just feel that knowing the first organism is not that important. The progression of vocal evolution is what they would be interested in. In other words, how organisms got better and better at communication, and what specific changes/mutations caused this to happen.

There are tons of scientific journals on this subject. I can find some links if you are interested in reading them. But, they are usually pretty tough reads.