• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which denominations are closest to Catholicism?

The structure of Catholicism is very appealing to me, if I am to be honest. However, there are certain contemporary issues that I do not agree with The Church on and that is why, if I were to turn to Jesus, I would have to be a Protestant. But my question is, which sects would be closest to Catholicism? I want to fulfill as many sacraments as I can if I become a Christian someday, that's why I'm asking.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
In the USA the close cousin to Anglicanism is the Episcopal church. It has sacraments like Anglicans. Currently there are two major branches -- those which allow homosexual priests and those which do not. Additionally we have various Orthodox groups including Greek Orthodox and Russian Orthodox.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
The structure of Catholicism is very appealing to me, if I am to be honest. However, there are certain contemporary issues that I do not agree with The Church on and that is why, if I were to turn to Jesus, I would have to be a Protestant. But my question is, which sects would be closest to Catholicism? I want to fulfill as many sacraments as I can if I become a Christian someday, that's why I'm asking.

There are Latin and Eastern Catholic Churches that are very close and recognized by the Roman (Catholic) Church. The Eastern Orthodox Churches are the next closest.

I was raised in the Roman Church and I do not consider the Roman Church Catholic (universal).

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
What's the difference between that and Islam? Islam teaches you to do pious things and to be good. (Hence the scales at the final judgment.)

Last edited:
The sacraments are of much lesser importance than basic belief plus compassion and justice (kindness) towards all.
This is an important point to make, and I think you're right. Still, I'm very nitpicky about how things are done. I just need to feel like I'm doing everything right as much as I can... I think I may have a problem, lol. :p

What's the difference between that and Islam? Islam teaches you to do pious things and to be good. (Hence the scales at the final judgment.)
That may be true, but there are also things within Islam that I don't agree with and not many accepting spaces for LGBT individuals like myself, hence why I am looking for another religion to possibly call home.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
That may be true, but there are also things within Islam that I don't agree with and not many accepting spaces for LGBT individuals like myself, hence why I am looking for another religion to possibly call home.
Ah. Some churches would be more accepting of that than others. Are you in the Middle East or do you have a Muslim family?

DavidFirth

The biggest difference is the Christian belief in the Gospel. We depend on God's grace, they think they can be good enough. No one can be good enough.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Could you describe what issues you disagree with the Catholic Church on? That would make giving you recommendations a lot easier.

Could you describe what issues you disagree with the Catholic Church on? That would make giving you recommendations a lot easier.
I hope this doesn't end up starting a debate of any kind, but here goes nothing I guess.

> I disagree with the Catholic Church with regards to their stances on abortion and homosexuality (not to say that I'm pro-abortion, but that there are some instances where it should be allowed)
> I'm okay with saints, but not exactly praying to them
> I don't believe in confessing to a priest as I believe that I only need to confess to God directly

And I'm flexible with other beliefs, but these are some of my biggest problems.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
I hope this doesn't end up starting a debate of any kind, but here goes nothing I guess.

> I disagree with the Catholic Church with regards to their stances on abortion and homosexuality (not to say that I'm pro-abortion, but that there are some instances where it should be allowed)
Actually, there are times when it is allowed to abort the child (for instance, where the mother needs a hysterectomy which would also incidentally terminate the pregnancy). Just a fun fact.
> I'm okay with saints, but not exactly praying to them
> I don't believe in confessing to a priest as I believe that I only need to confess to God directly

And I'm flexible with other beliefs, but these are some of my biggest problems.
ELCA Lutheran, Anglican, Methodist, Episcopalian and Presbyterian are going to be your best bets for readily finding people who share the same beliefs.