• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which Denomination Am I? My Beliefs Are..

Amanda88

Hello! I am posting in hopes of finding guidance, as to exactly which denomination I would fall into. I was raised Catholic - and was baptized, did my communion and confession. The last confession I did was in 2nd grade, and I have no idea what I would really need to confess at such a young age. I was put in CCD during middle school but quit because I did not agree with the fact that I would need to confess to a person I did not know. I felt you should confess to God directly in your own time. I believe in baptism, although its an obvious Catholic tradition, I feel you should be able to be baptized at any time of your life, and that an innocent baby shouldn't need to be baptized in order to be "entered into Christianity." God would watch over an innocent. I really have no strong feelings towards eucharist - I don't think a piece of bread and wine should ultimately symbolize you receiving the Holy Spirit into your life.. Your belief and trust in him should be enough. I know many Christian churches look down upon divorce, but I think anyone should be able to leave a marriage if you are unhappy. I support abortion but in the event of rape, incest or the baby's or mother's health is at risk. I don't think everyone's fate has been "pre-determined" by God and I think people if willing, can confess their sins and accept God and change their lives. This goes hand-in-hand with my belief in karma - I feel if you do good, you will get good back in return. I don't believe in a "rapture" coming. I am on the fence on whether there truly is a purgatory or not. As for services go, I would prefer a short, sweet-and-to-the-point service. This was really one of the main things I stopped attending Catholic Church. Now, which denomination would I really fall into? I thought Non-Denominational, but I feel like its so vague..
Thanks everyone!

Brinne

United Church of Christ and Unitarian Universalist Association came to mind when reading your description. Maybe Evangelical Lutheranism or Quakers could fit your beliefs too.

Definitely sounds like you're looking for a more liberal Protestant denomination, though correct me if I'm wrong!

Good luck on your search!

Amanda88

United Church of Christ and Unitarian Universalist Association came to mind when reading your description. Maybe Evangelical Lutheranism or Quakers could fit your beliefs too.

Definitely sounds like you're looking for a more liberal Protestant denomination, though correct me if I'm wrong!

Good luck on your search!

Thank you very much for your response! I too, thought I would be within a Protestant denomination, although I read somewhere that they believe in confession to others within a group..is that information correct?

Brinne

Thank you very much for your response! I too, thought I would be within a Protestant denomination, although I read somewhere that they believe in confession to others within a group..is that information correct?

I believe that changes from denomination to denomination. The only Protestant services I've attended were Southern Baptist and UCC and both placed a high level of importance on a personal relationship with Christ. So confession of sins, from my understanding, seemed more a personal thing.

Amanda88

I believe that changes from denomination to denomination. The only Protestant services I've attended were Southern Baptist and UCC and both placed a high level of importance on a personal relationship with Christ. So confession of sins, from my understanding, seemed more a personal thing.

I felt like I would possibly fall under Baptist as well..given my strong feelings towards a one to one confessional with God. It seems like my beliefs are scattered and I have a possibility of falling into a few different denominations. I forgot to mention that I am supportive of gays, if that makes a difference. I think everyone should be accepted despite their sexual orientation.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
I felt like I would possibly fall under Baptist as well..given my strong feelings towards a one to one confessional with God. It seems like my beliefs are scattered and I have a possibility of falling into a few different denominations. I forgot to mention that I am supportive of gays, if that makes a difference. I think everyone should be accepted despite their sexual orientation.
Evangelical Lutheran Church of America comes to mind. Also consider Episcopalian and Anglican.